400 Series engine top mounted breather for 1086 VS 5X88 tractor

Anyone know what the differences are on a 5X88 top mounted breather kit vs one for a 1086. The parts listing shows the valve cover top breather housing and the tubes to be different. I want to update to the rocker arm stands with the lube orifices in them on a 1086 we are rebuilding the engine on,  and it is recommended to update the side mounter breather to the top mounted to prevent oil carry loss out of the breather. I have located a top mounter breather from a 5088, but I am not sure if it will work.

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, Nebraska1206 said:

Thought the top breather was necessary if you overhauled & updated to the wide-gap piston rings on an earlier engine?

Yes, that was the recommendation with the wide-gap rings. From what I remember reading it was also recommended for the update rocker arm stands due to the extra amount of oil flooding the side mount breather area.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pirlbeck said:

Yes, that was the recommendation with the wide-gap rings. From what I remember reading it was also recommended for the update rocker arm stands due to the extra amount of oil flooding the side mount breather area.

Well that is slightly backwards. The pressure balanced pistons required the top mount breather. The top mount breather created the need for more lube in the lifter area.

The breathers on the 88s were routed and I think sized different. Would it retrofit? Never had reason to try. Don't know.

5 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

Well that is slightly backwards. The pressure balanced pistons required the top mount breather. The top mount breather created the need for more lube in the lifter area.

The breathers on the 88s were routed and I think sized different. Would it retrofit? Never had reason to try. Don't know.

It seems we have seen plenty of camshaft/lifter failure regardless of the piston/ breather combination used. I like to update the rocker arm stands and breather regardless of pistons/rings/breather used to prevent camshaft/lifter failure.

41 minutes ago, Nebraska1206 said:

I've seen several engines receive the updated rocker arm stands and yet retain their original side mount crankcase breather over the years.

I am aware of that being done, but I don't want to chance it. This tractor came from a little ways away and I want it to be 100% when it leaves here.

We had a local dealer here and his shop manager made a campaign on the top breather kit just to generte income and work for the mechanics. yes i bit but I never saw any difference on the early 1086 engine

I believe the difference is how the breather pipes are formed. I don't think one from a 50 series will work on an 86 series because of the difference in turbo locations. I think the turbo will interfere with where the pipes need to located.

10 hours ago, TB5288 said:

I believe the difference is how the breather pipes are formed. I don't think one from a 50 series will work on an 86 series because of the difference in turbo locations. I think the turbo will interfere with where the pipes need to located.

Thank you! That is the information I was looking for and it makes prefect sense.

I never thought about the different turbo location of the 5X88 series.