RPM picture (May-June 2022)

766 Man

A picture shown (page 69) of the one time Walkley Farm Equipment building in Perry, NY during the mid-1970's.  A place I can say that I actually visited a couple of times to check on used equipment.  A college friend lived in Perry so in addition I was by the dealership a few times during the early 1980's to see him.  Today a Dollar General location occupies that building.  A little far from home but I can say that I visited most of the IH dealers in the region before they closed down by the early 1990's.  Where I am from the closest IH dealers were Seneca Service Center, F & W Equipment, Finger Lakes Tractor (who bought out F & W shortly before the merger), and Saxby Implement.

• Like 1

We used to deal with Finger Lakes Tractor some. Our Steiger ST-310 was bought through them in the late 70's. Our local IH dealer Taylor Implement brokered the sale as they were not a Steiger dealer. 

1 hour ago, ChrisNY said:

We used to deal with Finger Lakes Tractor some. Our Steiger ST-310 was bought through them in the late 70's. Our local IH dealer Taylor Implement brokered the sale as they were not a Steiger dealer. 

Finger Lakes Tractor is a fairly long and complex story as to IH.  To make it short the owners were not very popular with IH towards the end as they were dual'd up with lots of shortlines which they pushed hard.  To my knowledge Finger Lakes Tractor and Batavia Farm Equipment (also an IH dealer) were the only authorized dealers for Steiger in NY.  Then during the late 1970's Ford was selling Steigers in blue paint but most Ford dealers did nothing with them as they lacked shop space and did not want to stock parts for possibly a couple units sold.  Nonetheless there were a few Ford dealers who did take advantage of the opportunity.  Going back to Steiger my understanding was they did not want more than a few dealers here in NY so it was not possible for every dealer who may have wanted to sell Steiger to do so.

3 hours ago, 766 Man said:

Finger Lakes Tractor is a fairly long and complex story as to IH.  To make it short the owners were not very popular with IH towards the end as they were dual'd up with lots of shortlines which they pushed hard.  To my knowledge Finger Lakes Tractor and Batavia Farm Equipment (also an IH dealer) were the only authorized dealers for Steiger in NY.  Then during the late 1970's Ford was selling Steigers in blue paint but most Ford dealers did nothing with them as they lacked shop space and did not want to stock parts for possibly a couple units sold.  Nonetheless there were a few Ford dealers who did take advantage of the opportunity.  Going back to Steiger my understanding was they did not want more than a few dealers here in NY so it was not possible for every dealer who may have wanted to sell Steiger to do so.

Yes, Batavia Farm equipment was the first Steiger dealer east of the Mississippi. Bob Call gave a presentation to Chapter 35 many years ago about it.

Our Steiger was the first and only one around here for years. Ford dealers up here never did anything with the Blue steigers. Small dealers with small shops.

3 hours ago, ChrisNY said:

Yes, Batavia Farm equipment was the first Steiger dealer east of the Mississippi. Bob Call gave a presentation to Chapter 35 many years ago about it.

Our Steiger was the first and only one around here for years. Ford dealers up here never did anything with the Blue steigers. Small dealers with small shops.

I think that Batavia Farm Equipment started selling Steiger around 1970.  Lot's of large scale agriculture in that area.  An 856 was still a very big tractor at that time and there was not much in the way of 1256's and then 1456's sold in large parts of NY.  1066's had more of a presence but not so much a 1466.  That all changed by the 1980's with those models coming into NY from the Midwest and Finger Lakes Tractor was among those jockeying the Midwest tractors.