Chevy Express Vans and carseats/kids

Cdfarabaugh

17 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

I'm going to look at this tomorrow out by Pittsburgh.  A bit strange it has such low miles, so want to make sure this wasnt sitting outside for 5 years rusting underneath.   If not, prob as close to new as I can get.  

To get a Suburban for 37k I'd be looking at something with 100k miles on it or more.  Insurance is much cheaper on this too. 

I'm also a bit at ease that theres not much crap in this van. As long as it has cruise and rear AC I'm happy.    

I got 15 years out of my pickup and still counting, so for the money im spending here that amount of use wont be a bad investment.  

1421962277_Screenshot_20220425-215721_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.855f01a797e708cc9abb25c260a241f2.jpg

Unfortunately the vehicle market is not in a buyer’s favor right now with little hope that it will get better near term. In 2019 we were able to buy a 2015 Suburban with around 75K miles for mid $30s. We have 4 children ages 4-10.  It has the room we need, is nice to drive, fuel economy is remarkably good, and does well towing. 

3 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Unfortunately the vehicle market is not in a buyer’s favor right now with little hope that it will get better near term. In 2019 we were able to buy a 2015 Suburban with around 75K miles for mid $30s. We have 4 children ages 4-10.  It has the room we need, is nice to drive, fuel economy is remarkably good, and does well towing. 

I was very fortunate to find my '04 Express back in May of '20.  103,000, traded in by a local school district.  New exhaust, decent rubber, cold a/c, not much rust, for $5500.  No frills but am/fm, but don't need any.  Guess I got it just before prices started to spike.  As it turns out, the rear end went out of my '95 at just the right time.

10 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

It likely does not have side curtains etc, it is however a 7,000 lb 1 ton truck on a fully boxed frame. Sort of a trade off IMO, small cars with oodles of airbags are safe compared to other small cars without oodles of airbags. If you are looking at 2 small cars i see your point. Comparing a unibody minivan to a 1 ton passenger van is sort of an apples to oranges situation. 

I respect everything you said and agree with it all but I have had a few "pucker" moments in the 650k miles I have put on extended cargo vans and the last thing I would want one for is my family. I am biased because I work with one everyday and the last thing I want to drive on the weekend after a 700 mile week is a family version of my work truck. The side walls dont impress me much for structural strength. I am not trying to be a know it all debbie downer type, just saying what my experience has taught me. I will say the body on frame Econoline I used to have was tougher than my unibody Transit. A mini bus has thicker side walls that are more structural than a passenger van.  Again, i know nothing of the GM Van's, best of luck in your decision. 

21 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

Here’s what you really want

EE3FA9A5-9AE4-4D84-864A-E98163BBBC71.thumb.png.97eb553bdcdb8d8c8448659f0b56cde4.png

More room than a Suburban. Dumbest thing Ford ever did was quit making them. 

You read my mind and I'd love to have one but Unfortunately they are stupid in price for a decent one and getting rather old.  

53 minutes ago, JaredT said:

I respect everything you said and agree with it all but I have had a few "pucker" moments in the 650k miles I have put on extended cargo vans and the last thing I would want one for is my family. I am biased because I work with one everyday and the last thing I want to drive on the weekend after a 700 mile week is a family version of my work truck. The side walls dont impress me much for structural strength. I am not trying to be a know it all debbie downer type, just saying what my experience has taught me. I will say the body on frame Econoline I used to have was tougher than my unibody Transit. A mini bus has thicker side walls that are more structural than a passenger van.  Again, i know nothing of the GM Van's, best of luck in your decision. 

I have driven a sprinter, not a modern Ford transit, personally I think the sprinter seems like a much more solid vehicle than the transit or the ram van, and I wholeheartedly agree with you, they make me cringe too. From what i can see crawling under them they have the structural integrity of a week old salad. 
as far as a daily driver, cargo vans have been a part of my family since grampa’s  55’ chevy panel truck. 
they had the 55’, a 63, 67, 72 all GM, then a 77’ ford, an 85 gm 1/2 ton2 90’ GM 3/4 ton, 96’ E-250, 2001 2500, and now the 13’ 2500. 
the GM is a wildly different vehicle from the ford/ram/Freighliner/Mercedes. The GM is a real truck with a real frame and substantially more out front than the euros have. 
Based on my sprinter experience, I wouldn’t want to drive a euro either. 
the 2500 express is as pleasant to drive as my 2500HD  pickup, except that it has 2000lbs of tools and materials rattling where they ate in your atmosphere vs the pickup which isolates you from the clatter a lot. 
Dad got T-boned in the first 90’  3/4 ton when it was a month old. He got hit in the passenger side at about 60 by a Mazda RX7 it did not total the truck because it was brand new, but they bought a new one because it seemed like the right thing to do and waiting for repairs was a major concern. 
I don’t want my family in a wreck in anything, but as i feel there is no replacement for displacement, i feel there is no replacement for iron.