Cnhi reman

Got a reman case ih dt 436 I stuck in a 1086. I have verified timing several times on it. I did put the old inj pump back on it. When I crank it over to try to start it, it smokes like a freight train but won't fire and run. I know I'm in time or at least dangerously close don't know.what else to check before I condemn the inj pump????

First thing I think is pull the three bolts. Turn the pump one turn and put the bolts back. If that don't work I would take a close look at delivery valve. Even if you can't see any thing wrong it may work when you put it back.

You can pull the one little cover off right below the rotary head and check for a notch where the rotar spins around in there, If you can see that mark your on #1 TDC when the notch on the gear is lined up and I have that. Have valve cover lifted and #1 pushrods are loose and #6 are tight so I should be on TDC one there.

Middle of the night idea. More of a remembrance really. Is the engine pumping air? Should be pulling freely at intake and exhausting with volume. Had a fellow with fair amount of experience coming in with questions on his 4020. He had been working on it and now he could hardly get it to run. Smoked terribly and could hardly move itself. I don't remember the original work but after a couple of days he had brought me nozzles and pump. Nothing I could find. We discussed everything I could think of as possible. Didn't see him again for several weeks. When I did I had to ask. It seems his brother had hung his tee shirt over the intake manifold. When they tried to crank it up. It disappeared inside. Seems it had completely closed off 4 holes.

I might go ahead and do that, I'm still leaning towards inj pump, tach shows 6200 hrs and looks original and doesn't help there's probably a few hundred hours with coolant in the engine oil.

If ALL you are doing to time it is to get the engine on TDC of compression stroke and then line the pump drive marks up, you NEED to listen to Mike and snoshoe and first get the pump marks lined up, remove the gear and rotate the injection pump drive shaft one turn and retry it. Disregard this if you have already tried this, but your symptoms sure sound like this is the problem

• Like 1

Was taught a long time ago by the service manager at the sister store to the one I work at is if you can see the mark on the head thru this plate your  almost on top dead center #1KIMG0428.thumb.JPG.2f282717c64fb5721100720be45fba38.JPG

Maybe I’m not reading rite but shouldn’t the engine on a 1086 be set at 18 degrees and then tighten down the gear. 

John

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Weapon said:

Maybe I’m not reading rite but shouldn’t the engine on a 1086 be set at 18 degrees and then tighten down the gear. 

John

Yes, initial timing is 18*. Intravance is another 12* if I remember that part correctly. You need to set dampener to 18* advance, line up timing marks on pump drive gear. If still no start, verify that you are not 360* off, spin injection pump over one full revolution. 

4 hours ago, 756puller said:

I have tried this afew times, I set the front dampner at the TDC mark make sure the timing mark in the inj pump drive is right on and tighten it down.

This is NOT correct!!! Engine should be at 18 degrees before TDC. Then tighten gear to pump drive with marks lined up.

• 1 month later...

Glad You got it figured out .

Question , to my thinking about everyone saying that the pump needs to be turned one turn that doesn't make sense to me. Anytime I have seen the pump off the engine needs one revolution and then reinstall the pump and it usually starts in our experience

Crank shaft goes around twice for every turn of the camshaft, want to say crank and inj pump gear are same size but I'm not 100 percent. But if they would be it'd make sense to have to turn pump one revolution.

2 hours ago, 756puller said:

Crank shaft goes around twice for every turn of the camshaft, want to say crank and inj pump gear are same size but I'm not 100 percent. But if they would be it'd make sense to have to turn pump one revolution.

9 hours ago, bitty said:

Glad You got it figured out .

Question , to my thinking about everyone saying that the pump needs to be turned one turn that doesn't make sense to me. Anytime I have seen the pump off the engine needs one revolution and then reinstall the pump and it usually starts in our experience

Distributor head turns half of pump speed if that helps you out.

Should add you're both right. It works either way.

• Thanks 1