Breaking loose wedgelock bolts that are really stuck.

acem

I'm putting the 4366 back together and I've got a pair of wedgelock bolts I can't get to turn. My 4366 has the double wedgelock like a 1586/5488.

I'm considering heat on the threaded wedges.

Honestly I was so tired when I got to it I didn't have much energy left. I couldn't get it with my high torque dewalt impact.

Any suggestions?

Apparently they are around $800 from cih if you can get them...

Thx-Ace 

I don’t usually have much trouble with the dual wedge locks.  Get them good and tight then get the big hammer and rap the top of the axle.  Tighten and repeat till they let loose.

3/4" drive breaker bar and a long pipe with a big guy hanging on it ..... 3/4" impact gun helps . Heat the nut parts of your going to heat anything

7 hours ago, bitty said:

3/4" drive breaker bar and a long pipe with a big guy hanging on it ..... 3/4" impact gun helps . Heat the nut parts of your going to heat anything

X2   Impacts are nice tools, but usually you need to break them loose with a breaker bar first. 

I did explode one of my sockets recently using the 3/4" gun trying to loosen up a hub on our 4366. We have 175 psi shop air, 3/4" main lines and 1/2" hose and I think it is 3/8" couplers although they might be 1/2" 

Pretty rare that I have ever been beat breaking any bolts free when I have been able to use the rosebud tip on torch to heat the part. Sometimes it has taken a few heating/cooling cycles, but usually works. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, acem said:

This is a bit more challenging since it's attached to the axle that broke off. 

Thx-Ace 

I could imagine,like it is harder to change a tire when the rim is off the tractor.

6 hours ago, acem said:

This is a bit more challenging since it's attached to the axle that broke off. 

Thx-Ace 

I missed that detail too. Torch or oxygen lance the axle out of the wedge lock

• Like 1

I remembered I'm no required to use that wheel/hub. I have the outside tires I replaced with 9 bolt duals. 

So I found a hub and wedge. Of course it It was sized up...

I put the hub w/ wedges on the end of the axle. Then I  tried the impact and got one loose. The other I was able to loosen with the big ratchet. With the hub on the end allowed me to use the ratchet without an extension and keep the socket straight. If everything is straight and not binding you can get more power to the bolt.

I soaked the threads in penetrating fluid and worked the bolts in and out.

Everything went well after that.

Thx-Ace 

IMG_0174.jpg

• Like 2