Aftermarket exhaust manifold/any good?

I need a new manifold for my 7130, an aftermarket one is $215, a used one is $300, are the oem any better? Or should I just get an aftermarket?

What is wrong with your original? I get along better resurfacing and just using original. Most times they have shrunk and break bolts off on the ends. We elongate all holes except #3 as they locate it on head. Start torque on #3 and circle out at 32 ft lbs using correct bolts and locks. Also like the multi layer gaskets

• Like 2

Well it's a bit of a story, I pulled the original because one of the end bolts as broke of in the head. Went to put it back on, and there was a big crack under the turbo housing, I went to asap and got a used one, but it won't fit! It's about 3/16s shorter than the old one, must be it shrunk somehow, so now we're onto plan B,  I've located a used one 2.5 hrs away, or a new one from asap.

32 minutes ago, CIHTECH said:

What is wrong with your original? I get along better resurfacing and just using original. Most times they have shrunk and break bolts off on the ends. We elongate all holes except #3 as they locate it on head. Start torque on #3 and circle out at 32 ft lbs using correct bolts and locks. Also like the multi layer gaskets

So maybe the used one I got will work, how do you go about elongating the holes?

8 hours ago, WisIHCFarmer said:

What is your opinion about aftermarket ones?

Can't say that I've used one, so I guess no opinion. 

Get the aftermarket with the webbing between the ports. I see they also have a two piece aftermarket one now, i haven't tried one yet, but looks promising.  (not sure if the picture is the exact part number you need, just found a decent picture to post)

8.3 manifold.jpg

13 hours ago, WisIHCFarmer said:

Well it's a bit of a story, I pulled the original because one of the end bolts as broke of in the head. Went to put it back on, and there was a big crack under the turbo housing, I went to asap and got a used one, but it won't fit! It's about 3/16s shorter than the old one, must be it shrunk somehow, so now we're onto plan B,  I've located a used one 2.5 hrs away, or a new one from asap.

Try if possible to use a good used one.  It has done most of the shifting and shrinking that will almost invariably happen to cast iron parts subject to heat cycling, particularly exhaust manifolds. 

Sounds like the same problem exhaust manifolds have on small block Chevy engines. The ones braced between the ports are great if you can find them. Otherwise gotta use a manifold spreader to install them.

Travis

• Like 1

How successful is it using a manifold spreader on those stout exhaust manifolds? Been to many times Ive had them planed at the machine shop and get it back and discover the holes are off on one set

12 hours ago, 756puller said:

How successful is it using a manifold spreader on those stout exhaust manifolds? Been to many times Ive had them planed at the machine shop and get it back and discover the holes are off on one set

yes i used to have to spread them in the  1980's  installing them target master engines.  pretty sure it was that cold water that would splash on them. 

On 4/22/2022 at 8:42 PM, CIHTECH said:

Milling machine.

Barring a milling machine, rat tail file, or the "Pott County Waller," which is to take a drill bit and rock it back and forth in the hole while spinning it at high speed (has many names).

We have used one or more of the new ones. Last one I remember installing had the props between the holes like pictured . Can't remember any problems

I bought P.D.I. aftermarket for a Cat 3406E , No problems with it. Bought another for another 3406 from same company it leaked on #2 port I changed out exhaust ga. still leaked. Call PDI  they told me I used the wrong ga. need the one with sleeves, if still leaked they wanted it back to check. Changed it again still leaked. Called the guy told him it still leaked, the dumb a33 said we installed the manifold incorrectly and won't warranty it because they didn't install it. I told him I changed it twice another guy changed it once, still leaked. So the 2 of us did it wrong? I don't think so. So I bought their competitors manifold, installed just like the other times. no leaks.   

P.D.I, can F/O I won't  buy their sh3t again. All talk no action their warranty doesn't mean anything.

• Like 1