Electric Vehicles including farm equipment.

oldtanker

1 minute ago, Mudfly said:

Not sure how to keep battery efficiency up in -40 unless you keep it heated, which would reduce overall efficiency by pulling power from the battery itself.

Solar panels on the cab roof and on top of the trailer.  Or maybe a little pop-up wind mill.

• Haha 3

From what I see there are already electric tractors on farms, dairy farms have electric robots and other type of equipment, the pivot irrigation runs on electric.

The appearance of electric vehicles on the farm may be different from our current views.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Art From Coleman said:

Will they include an amp gauge like on locomotives to avoid overheating and damaging the traction motors?

Will these electric vehicles have regenerative (dynamic) braking?

1 hour ago, Art From Coleman said:

Will they include an amp gauge like on locomotives to avoid overheating and damaging the traction motors?

Will these electric vehicles have regenerative (dynamic) braking?

Most likely it will derate to prevent that. Possibly it would shutdown after derating to allow these traction motors to cooldown. I believe they have dynamic brakes. @1586 Jeff?

I just read an article about Bobcat making an electric skid steer. They even did away with hydraulics, using electric rams instead. I would be very much ok with that if it used a Diesel engine rather than battery pack.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, mikem said:

Edit: How much will it cost to re-wire the entire country for 440V, 3PH. ?????

have you ever paid the bill for this,ANY CO that does NOT use it 24/7 ,charges $30 per use OR makes it in house.

BILL =corporate rate x 24/7 x demand x use x multiplier.

morton thiocal  munitions plant,duel fuel, has gone back off the grid to NG

just the std 220 line, our freezer was $400 every mo

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hardtail said:

So it's 2% of 15% of a 100%

What is China and India doing about it? I think it's like trying to fill a bucket with the bottom busted open 🙄

going BTTW per agreements. ONLY applies to USA peasants.

not speaking of the boarder and 0 rules /laws,FREE everyting, USA citizens subject to ALL,and Ukrain refgees subject to fast track,and 90% laws for 2 years  there not going to be here long.

43 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

From what I see there are already electric tractors on farms, dairy farms have electric robots and other type of equipment, the pivot irrigation runs on electric.

The appearance of electric vehicles on the farm may be different from our current views.

Irrigation is “shore power”, a totally different and usually far more practical pot of fish than trying to use batteries to accomplish heavy work. 
Battery powered equipment on a dairy or any other livestock farm for chore type uses is an almost infinitely more feasible concept that the idea that a battery powered tractor can go and do field work. I could use a battery/electric powered tractor to run my mixer wagon to feed cattle just fine, especially since it could be configured to run on shore power during filling/mixing. The loader to fill it could also be electric. Since these machines don’t have light weight as a primary consideration, a heavier and less expensive battery system makes the whole concept look cheaper overall than an engine powered unit. But then it becomes single use; you aren’t going to use that electric loader to load a manure spreader for hours on end. Or the electric mixer wagon tractor to pull the manure spreader. 

This whole electric/battery thing has become a religion rather than a matter of practical thought and economics. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, midnightman said:

And I wonder what happens at -40 degrees like it quite often gets here

plus heating the cab would be another problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gearclash said:

Irrigation is “shore power”, a totally different and usually far more practical pot of fish than trying to use batteries to accomplish heavy work. 
Battery powered equipment on a dairy or any other livestock farm for chore type uses is an almost infinitely more feasible concept that the idea that a battery powered tractor can go and do field work. I could use a battery/electric powered tractor to run my mixer wagon to feed cattle just fine, especially since it could be configured to run on shore power during filling/mixing. The loader to fill it could also be electric. Since these machines don’t have light weight as a primary consideration, a heavier and less expensive battery system makes the whole concept look cheaper overall than an engine powered unit. But then it becomes single use; you aren’t going to use that electric loader to load a manure spreader for hours on end. Or the electric mixer wagon tractor to pull the manure spreader. 

This whole electric/battery thing has become a religion rather than a matter of practical thought and economics. 

Don't matter if electrical is extremely impractical in a state such as NY.  There are over 18M people to pander to and I doubt that even 1 percent of them are farmers.  If I were younger and there was a younger generation to bring into the business it would be time to think about selling out here and going to another state which is easier said than done.  I fear that making a move when the mandates are close at hand will severely reduce any negotiating power in terms of getting a good price when a farmer goes to sell.  This has not even taken into consideration any other mandates that may come along.  Trying not to make this political.

1 hour ago, rustred said:

plus heating the cab would be another problem.

Heating and cooling in most modern EVs is done with a heat pump. Resistance heating consumes a lot of battery power. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, MTB98 said:

Heating and cooling in most modern EVs is done with a heat pump. Resistance heating consumes a lot of battery power. 

Heating the passenger compartment should not be much of an issue because the waste heat is available from the motor.  Cooling is  DIFFERENT ball game.

Our local cable TV service (Spectrum for now)  is 100% on the EV band wagon, fully engulfed in the religion.  I wonder if after all their support vehicles are all EV will their rates go down, or is it just what their almighty dictates?

I have a question for you gentlemen. If you are preaching green energy and are drinking the cool aid about being carbon whatever. How do you spin cutting down woods to erect them?

North of my town we have 3 companies screwing around putting up solar panels up on anything that will allow them to be erected on. They have cut down large portions of woods and fencerows to do this.

I took some pictures for proof. These pictures are all where they are putting them and until this winter they were woods. Im not even counting the farm ground at the moment. 3 companies involved in separate projects. If all actually get off the ground ( one of them i have a gut feeling wont unless he pedals the lease for a quick buck. ) 4000 acres total 

20220423_154727.jpg

20220423_154613.jpg

20220423_154603.jpg

20220423_154334.jpg

20220423_154301.jpg

20220423_154250.jpg

20220423_154039.jpg

20220423_154036.jpg

• Thanks 2

Hmmmm, clear cutting timber for logging, BAD

Clear cutting timber for "progress", good.

Wonder IF any environmental impact studies were done?  And, what would have been done IF the Michigan "spotted owl" nesting grounds had been found, OR, was there any concern about the runoff contaminating the area's lakes and rivers. How many bald eagle nesting sites were destroyed?

After all the state had a fecal fit at the thought of the EVIL oil field polluting rivers like the Au Sable, and the lakes around Grayling and Kalkaska.  I seem to remember that concerns were also raised about the bears defecating in the woods from being scared by the noise associated with drilling operations.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, catman13 said:

SMART, cutting down co2/ carbon eating trees to reduce carbon footprint, your stupid governcrap at its best

And using money we don't have to do it.  You can bet some millionaires will come out of it, though.  Oink oink.

• Thanks 2

This really needs fair news exposure to show the real story, not saying that this is happening everywhere but Greenpeace gained a lot of traction with baby seals being bludgeoned now if we could find the starving owlets or charred legs still smoldering 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 766 Man said:

Don't matter if electrical is extremely impractical in a state such as NY.  There are over 18M people to pander to and I doubt that even 1 percent of them are farmers.  If I were younger and there was a younger generation to bring into the business it would be time to think about selling out here and going to another state which is easier said than done.  I fear that making a move when the mandates are close at hand will severely reduce any negotiating power in terms of getting a good price when a farmer goes to sell.  This has not even taken into consideration any other mandates that may come along.  Trying not to make this political.

You underestimate the farm next door. They don't care. The hunger for land is insatiable Ever since Dad died, I've dealt with a revolving door of neighbor farmers wanting to rent or buy the land. The first vulture showed up the next day. I could only chuckle, shake my head and tell him the body wasn't even cold.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

You underestimate the farm next door. They don't care. The hunger for land is insatiable Ever since Dad died, I've dealt with a revolving door of neighbor farmers wanting to rent or buy the land. The first vulture showed up the next day. I could only chuckle, shake my head and tell him the body wasn't even cold.

Your situation is immediate.  What I am talking about is down the road.  In some aspects just a few years and in other aspects several years or more.  Since we are not supposed to talk politics I don't know how much more I can say here.  What I am trying to get out is at some point fairly soon we will not be able as farmers to conduct business as usual here and it will affect the selling price of land.  

Sorry about the vultures but I have seen worse close to home.  There are buyers who will bring a contract to the funeral home and slap it on the closed end of the coffin to get a signature.  There are things I have to deal with even today that gives me headaches in places where I never had them before.  I've been through a lot in life but the stress in many ways has never been higher.  

On a side note I should have gone to Angelica yesterday as there were some decent deals at least going by Proxibid.

• Like 1

Kind of dangerous attitude to try and conduct business where there is an inventory of new coffins to be filled

What is the matter with people, their morals and decency

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Kind of dangerous attitude to try and conduct business where there is an inventory of new coffins to be filled

From what I am told the practice is fairly common even if it is morally repugnant.  But at least I can say that with one such offender karma bit him on the tail (permanently) in a most bizzare way.  As far as morals and decency go society is imploding in real time in that I can see a net decline as the weeks pass and not the years anymore.  I don't even like going to the store anymore as nobody uses traffic rules anymore judging by the conduct on the roads.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

You underestimate the farm next door. They don't care. The hunger for land is insatiable Ever since Dad died, I've dealt with a revolving door of neighbor farmers wanting to rent or buy the land

From what I have been told, the same happened shortly after my aunt passed away.  Fortunately, two of my four cousins, the oldest and the youngest are NOT afraid to speak their minds.

I am proud of their attitude, and for those of you who think that I am radical, I stand in awe of their attitude towards those who want to steal/defile THEIR land.

Remember that what they want YOU to do, they would laugh in your face, if the shoe were on the other foot.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

From what I have been told, the same happened shortly after my aunt passed away.  Fortunately, two of my four cousins, the oldest and the youngest are NOT afraid to speak their minds.

I am proud of their attitude, and for those of you who think that I am radical, I stand in awe of their attitude towards those who want to steal/defile THEIR land.

Remember that what they want YOU to do, they would laugh in your face, if the shoe were on the other foot.

The world is full of hypocrites. 

4 hours ago, hardtail said:

Everyone has morals and decency until they dont.

You never know about anyone until they are in a position (or think they might be) of supreme advantage over a fellow man how they will treat that man.   Until then its all alot of talk and posturing for effect.

• Like 2