Socket for Wedge lock 66-86 series

766 Man

7 minutes ago, Weapon said:

Isn’t just a 7/8 12  point 3/4 drive socket?  Others may know better. 

John

Yes, but the one from IH looked tougher and I have a habit of breaking things.

The OTC socket doesn't look as tough as my Snap-on socket....

Anyway...the OTC socket is #328.

Pretty sure it's not even available anymore.

Travis

3 minutes ago, Sparky said:

The OTC socket doesn't look as tough as my Snap-on socket....

Anyway...the OTC socket is #328.

Pretty sure it's not even available anymore.

Travis

Agreed, have had a snap-on socket since mid 70's and has never failed me.

I normally use a proto 7/8", 12 point, deep, 1/2" drive impact socket and my dewalt high torque 20v impact. It usually works great but I wish it was a little longer.

When taking the wheels off my 4366 yesterday it didn't work on one wedge. I got out my 7/8" 12pt 3/4" socket and my 48" Wright ratchet. Took it right off!

Thx-Ace 

I grew up watching my 225lb father pull and jump on a 4’ 800ft/lb torque wrench, sometimes with a pipe on it, to break those bolts free. Now he has an 18v fuel impact that my 100lb daughter could operate. Rattle rattle. Done. We’ve used the same two craftsman snd S+K sockets for 30-40 years. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

I grew up watching my 225lb father pull and jump on a 4’ 800ft/lb torque wrench, sometimes with a pipe on it, to break those bolts free. Now he has an 18v fuel impact that my 100lb daughter could operate. Rattle rattle. Done. We’ve used the same two craftsman snd S+K sockets for 30-40 years. 

My dad has never owned in impact in his entire life. We used to take duals off of the tractors with a Wright ratchet popping in our hands. When I was old enough and had a little cash I bought a 3/4” Ingersoll Rand air impact, it was one of the happiest days of my life. He just never thought we needed it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, acem said:

I normally use a proto 7/8", 12 point, deep, 1/2" drive impact socket and my dewalt high torque 20v impact. It usually works great but I wish it was a little longer.

When taking the wheels off my 4366 yesterday it didn't work on one wedge. I got out my 7/8" 12pt 3/4" socket and my 48" Wright ratchet. Took it right off!

Thx-Ace 

16 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Seriously?

Hate to call you guys out, but did that really work? What happened to using a breaker bar?

Travis

• Like 1

I love the 48 inch ratchet. I don't have to use a cheater pipe. I have better luck with the long handled ratchet breaking stuff loose than with a shorter breaker bar and cheater pipes.

I think the extra give and difficulty handling the cheater pipe hurts available torque more than we think.

I would like a long handled 3/4 and 1" breaker bar.

I find it odd how sometimes the impact is better while sometimes the long handle and socket is better.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

Sparky, I will say the big wrench did successfully snap the wedge bolt once. And I’ve seen a few stripped off their threads too.  I think I’ve posted before than it wasn’t until I joined the forum here that I learned bolts were not suppose to be That tight.  This is the north east. When’s guy buys something 10-20 years old, it sometimes comes with 10-20 winters worth of rust.  
 Spec is what, 300- 350 ft/lbs?

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

Now he has an 18v fuel impact that

Those are flat amazing.

Don't know what I would do without mine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, acem said:

I love the 48 inch ratchet. I don't have to use a cheater pipe. I have better luck with the long handled ratchet breaking stuff loose than with a shorter breaker bar and cheater pipes.

I think the extra give and difficulty handling the cheater pipe hurts available torque more than we think.

I would like a long handled 3/4 and 1" breaker bar.

I find it odd how sometimes the impact is better while sometimes the long handle and socket is better.

Thx-Ace 

I agree, I don't have one but my mechanic neighbor does. If I can't move anything real tight with my 3/4 inch ratchet&pipe I get his snap on 4 ft ratchet. Whether it's wheels or whatever. My 580B hoe needed final drive work.After 40 plus years of work the hoe had to come off.The two saddle bolts that hold were tight,no room .My ratchet and long pipe just flexed and I ran out of swing room. I got his 48 incher,no pipe.The sweetest sound is that sharp crack of that nut braking free.That ratchet doesn't flex a bit and all the torque goes into the bolt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jacka said:

The sweetest sound is that sharp crack

That is when the teeth strip in the head, people think they broke the teeth pulling on it when actually its the recoil of fastener breaking loose that breaks them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sparky said:

Hate to call you guys out, but did that really work? What happened to using a breaker bar?

Didn't have one? As I recall, that's how Dad ended up with his 3/4" socket set in the first place. Blue Grass brand, from the local hardware store. Probably cost them half a milk check.

He still had to buy the socket because the set started at 15/16".

Even though the set came with a short breaker bar, he always used the ratchet on wedgelock bolts. With a 6' cheater pipe. He wasn't very heavy.

They can get rusted and sturck real tight over the years.

For our late dad's 1066 we had to torch it around the bolt a year ago.

Than still had to drive the one half out.  It was a three hur job.

Probably way there is no problem getting replacement ones!!

Using a big powerfull impact at times just makes things tigher and harder to get loose!

Several years ago on the other side the bolt actually bent between the halves.

Didn't have anti-seige years ago either.

Wedge Lock Loosened.jpg