Trailer?

Lazy WP

I have convinced myself that I need a drop deck trailer to haul hay and equipment with. I am not real sure about hauling hay, but I have a number of local guys who want me to, plus a friend who hauls equipment made in Salina, and he is having trouble keeping up. 
My question is what should I look for in a trailer?

5 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Double drop then you can get the big bucks heavy haul jobs. 

Expensive trailer and permits. Not saying it wouldn’t work, but I am not sure that is my thing. Not real sure if I even want a drop deck, other than I sold my gooseneck flatbed and it’s almost as cheap to buy a big trailer. 

Nick,

What are you looking to haul?  For big squares and rounds I have found that I can put more on a high flat than a step deck, but a step deck with good ramps with allow you to move SOME equipment.   It is not a RGN, I have one of those.

A step deck is pretty versatile. DiscountRamps.com can set you up with heavy duty aluminum ramps for around $4K.  I have a 2004 Doepker tri-axle. Hauling hay I can load as much as I could with my old straight flatbed. And do it with legal axle weights now. 

2 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Something that has enough room to haul every 450 LP you see to my house 😁😁😁

• Haha 7

Make sure you get sliding winches. Mine has extendable wide load lights too.  Beaver tail ramps are pretty handy most of the time, just remember they will shorten your wheelbase.  Don’t get a California spread, your trailer will be overloaded most of the time hauling hay. 

4 hours ago, 856 Custom said:

2003, Jet 53'x102" air ride, with dump valve, is what I have. Not saying it's the best or worst. Sits more than it's used, but nice to have.

KIMG1162.jpg

KIMG0807.jpg

I’ve always liked jet hoppers. I had one when I used to haul corn. Always figured their flats gotta be along same line. Might not be the fanciest thing on the road but the hoppers were definitely most bang for your buck. Built like a tank. 

A few years ago I bought a used Wilson 48' drop deck.  Used it to haul hay and machinery.  It's got a few holes in the aluminum deck but had good rubber and brakes .the price was right in my budget. It sits a bit but Jason paid for itself rather quickly. Wilson is a well made trailer with good resale value.

I thought this was what I wanted, https://www.bigiron.com/Lots/2009WilsonRoadbruteCFD900TADropDeckFlatbedTrailer but was told that since I had sold the trailer that SHE could haul equipment and hay with, it would be BEST to get something SHE can pull. I did remind her that she has passed all the CDL written tests and her driving part is easy. 
Was informed that if I found a needle nose Pete, that we can stuff a 6NZ in, I can get a drop deck. 
Looks like a 30ft gooseneck will be our next purchase. 

8 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Expensive trailer and permits. Not saying it wouldn’t work, but I am not sure that is my thing. Not real sure if I even want a drop deck, other than I sold my gooseneck flatbed and it’s almost as cheap to buy a big trailer. 

Agreed, and it seems like the DOT loves messing with those guys because they know they will find something out of place.

If I was buying a trailer to do it all it would be a rental store style trailer... with the hydraulic beavertail...

11 minutes ago, mader656 said:

If I was buying a trailer to do it all it would be a rental store style trailer... with the hydraulic beavertail...

They are great for equipment, but a waste of weight for hay. 
My buddy has both a Landall, with the hydraulic beaver tail and I think sliding axle, and a tandem 53 foot rgn. He is recommending a step deck for what I want to do. 
I am pretty sure I will end up with one someday. 

10 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Nick,

What are you looking to haul?  For big squares and rounds I have found that I can put more on a high flat than a step deck, but a step deck with good ramps with allow you to move SOME equipment.   It is not a RGN, I have one of those.

Big rounds and mid sized squares. Of course I have 1 guy who has little squares. Also I want to be able to get into delivering some of the equipment that Steve is doing. Nothing extremely heavy and not oversized. Mostly rubber tracked stuff. 

Weight wise, is there much difference between all aluminum versus steel and wood floors?

The double drops can be very handy hauling tall loads but they will bottom out going over high humps like some rail road crossings. The double drop has smaller tires and might have tires that are rated for much less weight than a standard tire. Definitely get a 102 wide no matter what you get unless you plan to go to a state where they are not allowed.

10 hours ago, bitty said:

Something that has enough room to haul every 450 LP you see to my house 😁😁😁

u can bring me the gassers that bitty doesnt want 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

u can bring me the gassers that bitty doesnt want 

I'm not saying that I don't like the gassers , just he has been seeing the LP ones. First a parts one for sale along the road, then the beauuuuuutiful one at the elevator 😁

22 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

I have convinced myself that I need a drop deck trailer to haul hay and equipment with. I am not real sure about hauling hay, but I have a number of local guys who want me to, plus a friend who hauls equipment made in Salina, and he is having trouble keeping up. 

Two years ago when they were doing road construction in front of the farm they had a step deck trailer to haul the equipment in and out, after seeing how they could load and unload stuff so easily even with low clearance I was convinced I needed a trailer like that! EAC17B77-9C09-47BF-ADC3-6CC865847E52.thumb.jpeg.5e1ced4ff85c6829b48ec639633a1f1b.jpeg Last year I started looking for one, I wanted to buy new but the wait was at least six months if I ordered one, I got real lucky and found one that a dealer had an order and it came in the middle of July. 
It’s a Gincor Worx trailer, built in Ontario.

It’s a three axle 53 foot 102 inch step deck all steel with apitong decking and air ramps. The deck height is 36 inches with the 17 inch wheels on air ride suspension. The trailer is rated at 46,380 kg which is about 90,000 pound GVWR. Legally in my area I can carry 32,000 kg or about 70,000 pounds on the trailer. 
 That trailer has performed beyond my expectations! Moving equipment loading unloading is so simple, when you want to put the air ramps down you just pull the button and unlock the ramps, they go down slowly on their own, and then you drive the equipment on and push the button and up they go while you start chaining The equipment on. 
 I haul a lot of hay for myself (big square bales) and I haul even more hay for others (mostly round bales). I also go and pick up equipment from the distribution centre and deliver it to a few dealers, the other day I was dropping off a round baler and the guy repeated to me how much he loves my trailer! 4 x 5 bales I can normally put on 54, 4 1/2 foot bales around 66

I also have a Witzco double drop detachable low bed trailer, I built a set of racks for the front and rear so I can haul hay on it to, I’ve been using it for at least 15 years.I can put up to 52 4 x 5 bales on it  

Last summer I was so far behind on hauling hay I hired my friend to help me, we were hauling 4 x 5 round bales and we were hauling in 106 bales at a time to the customer. We called ourselves the hAy-Team. 

If you want more information don’t be shy just ask, I can take more pictures or post more pictures if you want.

2E878C24-7B86-41C1-B02A-59DAEE4298B5.jpeg

EBF5ED21-32EB-4327-A3C4-A9C4C4192BDB.jpeg

C02D17AF-5CB3-4440-9068-793D66C39598.jpeg

5071817F-2983-4AF6-9C8B-0D742CE6C7CA.jpeg

434E108A-C586-42AC-B569-3BF3719A48BA.jpeg

D1211A76-9993-4B2F-9ACE-B50A4517CEA0.jpeg

7B68B754-25EA-46C1-93DB-2E2600D6AA38.png

C2F1A9F1-5805-47FC-B362-33D785BA4599.jpeg

70354DA4-84A8-4AED-AD36-1780DFF9BECF.jpeg

0438DE7B-FE22-4372-8E50-7434832F436C.jpeg

BF96A7F9-780D-49A0-901B-846D4406C0F4.jpeg

AA0DA46D-FDF5-464D-959D-0A3C000D7771.jpeg