Need a wheel and tire expert

Twolines

So ive got a 78 Dodge D300 and a 75 Dodge W300. The D300(2wd) has 16.5 wheels and the W300(4wd) has 16.5 split wheels. I need to take a few measurements yet...like lug stud diameter and center diameter.

Ive looked into 16.5 tires and cant find much under 300$ a tire. So ive been looking for 16 inch steel wheels and cant find them anywhere..ive called all tire shops in Fairbanks. I did find one place that wants 150$ a wheel new and the local salvage MIGHT have some for 100$ a wheel.

Whats a guy to do?? Ive read ford wheels will work for dodge but the center is bigger....pretty sure all dually wheels are hub centric. So if the center is bigger all the stress is on the studs.

Anyone run into this or have a reference as to what rims to look for(used)?

I got both of the trucks nearly free...was kinda hoping to not spend too much on them. 

At this point the 2wd(D300) would be really useful to me...it has a 12 ft flat dump bed and would be the farm truck im looking for.

Didn’t know they made 16.5 split rims. 16” used to be years ago 

Just did a quick search on a Dodge forum and seems guys are going 17" as 16" solutions aren't as plentiful anymore and may have another problem in the future

• Like 1

Be sure to get the correct wheels for your truck. I believe your trucks should have coin wheels. These rims have raised and recessed areas that keep the wheels aligned. Dodge used these wheels up through 93. Ford used them up to 90??? Newer trucks use a different style wheel without coins that will fit but doesn't work right. Gm wheels will not fit.

Here's a link describing the wheels.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/keyed-rims-coined-answers-162143/

20220419_080522.jpg

• Like 3

Maybe look for used tires? 
If not Miller Salvage has more options I am sure, and if you can wait for a little more of the white stuff to melt you might be able to go sift through the pile they have.  Right now they just can not get to their inventory. It’s a mess

Ya the splits are 16.5 and have some cool looking military style tires on them..suprisingly still hold air too. Bet i could sell them to some collector if i didnt live in the boonies.

Midnight..it might actually be worth it at 100 bucks a rim here. Wonder how many sets could be stacked on a pallet safely.

I thought about switching to 17" but i cant seem to find them coined? Ace hit the nail squarly on the lug or hub centric thing and i learned about what has what for the most part last night...it seems i need to stick with the coined style other wise have to further fiddle around to get the flat wheels to work.

Ak ive been looking for used for a while now. Im guessing millers salvage is msi? Ive called him and he said come on down in a couple weeks and i surely will even at 100 a pop.

Thanks for all the responses guys...last night i was begining to feel my free farm truck is hopless.

17 hours ago, Twolines said:

So ive got a 78 Dodge D300 and a 75 Dodge W300. The D300(2wd) has 16.5 wheels and the W300(4wd) has 16.5 split wheels. I need to take a few measurements yet...like lug stud diameter and center diameter.

Ive looked into 16.5 tires and cant find much under 300$ a tire. So ive been looking for 16 inch steel wheels and cant find them anywhere..ive called all tire shops in Fairbanks. I did find one place that wants 150$ a wheel new and the local salvage MIGHT have some for 100$ a wheel.

Whats a guy to do?? Ive read ford wheels will work for dodge but the center is bigger....pretty sure all dually wheels are hub centric. So if the center is bigger all the stress is on the studs.

I've seen where spacers could be bought to fit up a smaller hub into a larger hole. And if you can't find any, a machine shop should be able to turn you some real quick

25 minutes ago, KWRB said:

I've seen where spacers could be bought to fit up a smaller hub into a larger hole. And if you can't find any, a machine shop should be able to turn you some real quick

My problem would be the other way, my hub is huge so it cuts the use of gm wheels. I am a bit confused between a gm d70 and a mopar d70...why would the hubs be smaller on gm?

Ace, no splits! Lol i have a set of 16 splits, not sure what from but nobody will touch them. Id like to be updated to something more common for ease of replacement.

8 hours ago, Twolines said:

Ya the splits are 16.5 and have some cool looking military style tires on them..suprisingly still hold air too. Bet i could sell them to some collector if i didnt live in the boonies.

Midnight..it might actually be worth it at 100 bucks a rim here. Wonder how many sets could be stacked on a pallet safely.

I thought about switching to 17" but i cant seem to find them coined? Ace hit the nail squarly on the lug or hub centric thing and i learned about what has what for the most part last night...it seems i need to stick with the coined style other wise have to further fiddle around to get the flat wheels to work.

Ak ive been looking for used for a while now. Im guessing millers salvage is msi? Ive called him and he said come on down in a couple weeks and i surely will even at 100 a pop.

Thanks for all the responses guys...last night i was begining to feel my free farm truck is hopless.

Yes, MSI. I have been in and out of there all winter.  They can not get out in the yard to get to the inventory, and your older rims are not stored inside on a shelf.  

22 hours ago, Twolines said:

If only you were closer. I have a set of 6, coined, new tires, 16.5's. Don't use them anymore. Would bolt up perfectly for you, sorry

Mark

1 hour ago, acem said:

You can mount them yourself.

Id did think of that...ive never done it before but understand the mechanics of it all. I have a bunch of tubes and new old stock goodyears that came with the w300.

43 minutes ago, td9inidaho said:

If only you were closer. I have a set of 6, coined, new tires, 16.5's. Don't use them anymore. Would bolt up perfectly for you, sorry

Mark

Idaho isnt THAT far...lol ultimately id like to switch away from the 16.5 but a set of new ones would get me by for quite a while.. i dont need this truck everyday.

AK id love to try to organize that place..last time i was in the front there were parts everywhere!

4 hours ago, Twolines said:

d did think of that...ive never done it before but understand the mechanics of it all. I have a bunch of tubes and new old stock goodyears that came with the w300.

Build yourself  a cage to inflate them in the first time.  Some use chains but no doubt with a cage.

IIRC the ones you DON"T use are like those on our 1954 Ford flathead 2 tonner where they lock in the middle of the wheel and you ought not to have them.

73D7B7EF-277B-4E80-AC46-72D1DD390B5A.webp.8300ed6f66f69925768548c0f93f9968.webp

I bought one of these quite a few years ago. Not a wonderful piece of equipment by any means, but for the $80 I paid for it, it has more than paid for itself. Not a thing I’d want to do on a daily basis, but it works. Has saved my *ss a few times at night and on weekends and holidays when the tire shop is closed. Since then I’ve bought a couple good tire spoons, and built a 10 gallon tire blaster and impact operated bead breaker. Have been able to change everything from 9” quad tire to 18.4 X 38 tractor tire, and everything in between 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, midnightman said:

73D7B7EF-277B-4E80-AC46-72D1DD390B5A.webp.8300ed6f66f69925768548c0f93f9968.webp

I bought one of these quite a few years ago. Not a wonderful piece of equipment by any means, but for the $80 I paid for it, it has more than paid for itself. Not a thing I’d want to do on a daily basis, but it works. Has saved my *ss a few times at night and on weekends and holidays when the tire shop is closed. Since then I’ve bought a couple good tire spoons, and built a 10 gallon tire blaster and impact operated bead breaker. Have been able to change everything from 9” quad tire to 18.4 X 38 tractor tire, and everything in between 

Wow you can do a 18.4x38 on that thing?? 😂  Ours is a old coats but still manual like that. Haven't had a tire to a tire shop since dad bought it probably 20 years ago. Probably paid for it self within the first year.

To the OP, I'm sure you could find the 16" rims you need in western Canada. I know we picked up quite a few over the years when we were switching our old trailers over from the old split rims. Infact I'm pretty sure we have 2 of the Dodge ones you are after but we still use them. But they are around

I bought a full set of new steel one piece double coined wheels for my 74 F350 a couple years ago.  They were hard to find.  And so badly out of round, they couldn't be balanced out.  They looked fine, but must have been manufactured wrong.  I had to put the split rims back on.  Good luck...

TN how much would u sell them for?

Sorry, pal, I made the shop take them back.  You might could have gotten by with using one or two on a truck with otherwise good wheels, but 6 out of round wheels made the truck literally undriveable.  And I tried everything to get them to balance.  I could see if they could order any more  - they sent mine back to the distributor.  I think they were...$150 each, something like that.  But that was 2 years ago, we know what prices have done since...