Every spring

DT Fan

I pick up rocks. There are a few 'hot spots' on the farm. Usually just concentrate on the bean stubble. Our wonderful Coop used a conventional bar when they applicated  the anhydrous last fall so there are quite a few to pick up this year. Not near as many as some of you guys further North though. I have yet to find a rock I can't repurpose. Last few years I've been filling in a wet spot in the drive. Luckily I don't find too many that are too big for the drive. One of these days I'm going to buy some real gravel and be done with it. The real reason for this post is the other thins I found. I believe they are check-wire stakes? Apparently the toolbar pulled them up. I spotted the first one and went and picked it up. Kept looking for rocks and stumbled on the other! I would swear Dad said that field had never been plowed until we plowed it in about 2009. Any check-wire planting equipment was long gone before I was born. Kind of wondering if they might have any value?

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1378.JPG

• Like 1

My wife uses a pair of check wire stakes and wire to space the rows in her garden.  Good thing you didn’t find them with a tire!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, axial_al said:

My wife uses a pair of check wire stakes and wire to space the rows in her garden.  Good thing you didn’t find them with a tire!

I am very happy I didn't find either one with a tire!!!!

• Like 1

Idk if there’s any value in these unless someone is trying to setup a check row planter, but then as simple as they are, I’d just make’em and be done with it.

As far as finding these with a tire, I was helping a neighbor with his sawmill, he ran it off the tractor pto. I was watching him pull the tractor into place so we could hitch up the pto and as the left tire came around it had a lug nut bar wrench like those in the trunk of a car sticking out of it. Lucky for him it was through the bar tread only.

If you ever need more rocks for your driveway I will gladly give up some of mine. I may even help you load your trailer. I'm working on a rock drip edge around all of all of my buildings courtesy of my two acre pumpkin patch.

There is a story of a farmer around here who was meticulous at record keeping and kept track of the number of wagon loads of rocks he picked every year off of his fields. He could prove on paper that he did actually pick less wagon loads as the years went on.

35 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

If you ever need more rocks for your driveway I will gladly give up some of mine. I may even help you load your trailer. I'm working on a rock drip edge around all of all of my buildings courtesy of my two acre pumpkin patch.

There is a story of a farmer around here who was meticulous at record keeping and kept track of the number of wagon loads of rocks he picked every year off of his fields. He could prove on paper that he did actually pick less wagon loads as the years went on.

Have seen some good videos of serious rock picking. I do not envy you guys to the North! I do think being vigilant does help. I've never run one through the combine big enough to do damage at least. Know I've picked some up that would have!

next door neighbor said "you never pick all the rocks. you just lower the field".

• Haha 3