MX240- Spaced the Cab Up👍

ole 815

Common issue on the first MX Magnums are how tight the hoses are and rub each other at front bottom of cab where they travel under and connect to tubes.   Especially the power steering hoses that supply and return from the Handpump.

Didn't know one of them was cutting into the oil cooler hose/tube assembly......until it was too late, ruined power steering hose. Also ruined the oil cooler hose that is part of a hose/tube assembly that is probably one of the most  time consuming to get to and replace.(Pic of new and old)

From advice of others that have done it. I spaced up the cab. I went  up 1 1/2". One hockey puck and 1/2" steel plate.  

Makes it waaaay better now for clearancing hoses at front lower part of cab. I have it now, that none rub on each other.  It was pretty much impossible to make the steering supply lines and the cooler hose  to clear each other. They laid right on each other and aren't wrapped from factory. Arrrrrrg..... well I take that back. They rub so hard, they wore thru the plastic loom and then  hoses ate each other right thru.

I used metric threaded rod to make a bolt that would work. Fastenal part # in pic. 1 piece is long enough to make make 4 bolts. Cut at 9 1/2 " , weld nut on one end makes it 9" long verses the original 7 1/2" bolt. Drill hole in hockey puck, and punched a 5/8" hole in a 3×3 plate. 

Need plate above hockey puck  for bushing that goes thru cab channel to tighten against. 

The original plate that is still used under hockey puck, is metric threaded, that's why you need metric rod so you can still tighten down original cab isolators.

I didn't go 2" because it was going to be more of an issue with a couple things. But I still have way more room and it works great! Even getting cab air filter out, and fuel tanks in and out from mountings.

Only way to get the front cab mounts apart to replace  bolts is you have to remove fuel tanks. So that is the most work in spacing up the cab.

That tube assembly can be sent in and fixed for $450 less than new, or can get whole new assembly for $335 less than CaseIH ,  from New Hydraulics in Oshkosh Wi.

Part# 418919A2

New Hydraulics doesn't show the other hose/tube assembly (return)  under cab 414576A2 but I'm sure they could make you one if they had your old one. 

These hose/tube assemblies are for tractor serial #'s with oil cooler  cold weather  safety bypass valve  (last pic shows what it looks like, located under air cleaner)

Few pics for ya.  😉 

Yep, I replaced every hose at front of cab, prolly never have to do it again now that I can get to them, plus I did it right😄

20220406_140434.jpg

20220414_114820.jpg

20220414_114949.jpg

20220417_104943.jpg

20220416_211729.jpg

20220417_115505.jpg

20220417_121817.jpg

• Like 1

I can't remember but I think I went two pucks high on the one I did. I know the firewall of the cab was visible above the hood. I used 5/8" bolts of the appropriate length and rethreaded the holes in the mounts. I did notice the higher step getting into the cab.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an excellent idea.  I've had somewhat the same thoughts after seeing how much better the generation 3 Magnums with raised cabs are to work around, but never got far enough to specifically figure out what is needed to do it.  Thanks!

This 240 is a pretty late one if it has the oil cooler bypass valve under the air cleaner housing. Think they only did that on the 2002(last year of production) models. CaseIH would have been well-advised to put a cooler bypass on them from the get go.....they bought a lot of hydraulic oil coolers on warranty from blowing them up in extremely cold weather. We still occasionally put the cooler bypass update on a tractor that works in cold weather for any length of time....some of the lines are NLA from CNH anymore. Just one of the many things that was overlooked on Gen. I MX Magnums that would haunt CaseIH for years.

Its a 2002 model. 118000 serial #

Here is a pic of me putting the Priority Valve back in after going thru it and checking some stuff.

Was easy to get to it, and remove and install, with the extra clearance.

20220429_110810.jpg

3 hours ago, clay neubauer said:

This is an excellent idea.  I've had somewhat the same thoughts after seeing how much better the generation 3 Magnums with raised cabs are to work around, but never got far enough to specifically figure out what is needed to do it.  Thanks!

Clay, I also extended the rod (1.5") for the Parking brake manual release.  Just in case,  if needed to use that special tool furnished to pump up and release parking brake. It's under floor mat, access hole.

Pic of rod assembly

20220422_100807.jpg

• Like 1