5488 Speed range clutch packs

I have a 5488 that the hi-low pack went out, I have split the tractor and am not sure if I have to pull that part of the trans out to make the repair or does it all come out the front

I don't see any threaded holes to jack the front plate out, I just don't want to remove anything that doesn't need to be. 

Thanks Ron

I don’t think there is any way other than splitting it off the rear.   We just did this to my brothers 5288.   You have to stand the speed on its tail.   I have been posting pics in thread labeled 5288 money pit.   A book would be the first advice I will give.  

8 hours ago, Ron LaHaie said:

I have a 5488 that the hi-low pack went out, I have split the tractor and am not sure if I have to pull that part of the trans out to make the repair or does it all come out the front

I don't see any threaded holes to jack the front plate out, I just don't want to remove anything that doesn't need to be. 

Thanks Ro

It can all be done out the front the front cover is tough later ones have pry notches like magnums or take shift cover off the side to tap cover loose there is a oil line through front cover early ones pull out later you can take hyd pumps off to get to bake fitting or I’ve seen pipe cut and put a compression coupler on it. It’s just a lube line low psi 20 ish if I remember 

9 hours ago, TB5288 said:

If this is your first time doing this job I don't think you want to do it with housing installed. Just my opinion.

If bearings are tight there’s no need to remove it there simple to do just heavy and watch your fingers 

Take it off.  If you do through the front cover you have to cut lube line.  Also there is NO way to adjust bearing load.  I would do master clutch to.  I have the whole kit here. Updates, brgs, seals, master, flex plate and gaskets.

Mike

• Like 1