Can you identify the snake?

acem

I was walking along the road beside a rice field and saw this cute little snake. It wasn't a foot long.

It is a common snake in Arkansas but it's unusual to see one in wet areas like rice fields. The color is very strong when they are young.

Can you guess what kind of snake it is?

Thx-Ace 

IMG_0143.jpg

Cute and snakes are two words that do not go together.  I can tolerate snakes if I know where they are. I don't like it when I find them by surprise.

• Like 2

Here's a couple more pics. 

I'm pretty sure it's a copperhead. The pattern is a little odd but the tip of the tail is yellow/white.

Cm'on y'all. Babies are cute!

Thx-Ace 

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

A site I found about copperhead stated this ... " Apart from their size, the young are similar to the adults, however, they are lighter in color and with a yellow-marked tip to the tail, which is used to lure lizards and frogs."  Tip of tail in your picture matches the above statement.

55 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

Copperhead was the first thing that popped into my head. Not that I know much about snakes. I don't hate them but do like to know where they are.

Agreed one thing in my favor is they are not poisonous here and unless you corner a big one aren't looking to strike you

The head definitely looks viper....and it otherwise looks like a copperhead. 

One thing about young vipers is they dont as specifically control how much venom comes out in their bite. They are less choosy on what they bite as well. 

Heard quite a few stories about "baby" rattlers doing more damage than an adult.

• Sad 1

Long ways away, but used to catch copper bellies here in Minnesota even I was young. Never had a real big one, and real happy about it. I don't hate snakes, and I don't gi out of my way to avoid them, but they still give me the Willie's. I'd be brave for long enough to drop the ******** in a bucket and hold back the shivers. 

• Haha 1

My wife is deadly scared of snakes. Last summer I picked one up by the apple tree's. I had to laugh. I had a barrel of trash burning. My wife yells at me across the yard "send it back home" and points to the burning barrel. I guess it's an Eve thing.

• Haha 8

7 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

My wife is deadly scared of snakes. Last summer I picked one up by the apple tree's. I had to laugh. I had a barrel of trash burning. My wife yells at me across the yard "send it back home" and points to the burning barrel. I guess it's an Eve thing.

Had a little ordeal like that once. Friend and cousin were helping my cousins boss clean out his garage filled with his muscle cars. Long story short is a snake slithered out and the friend start screaming "Just kill it!! Just mother effin kill it!!!" While he was scrambling up on top of one of the cars. Boss starts screaming at the friend on the car all the while my cousin is laughing so hard he is on the ground because a grown a$$ man is scrambling his way on top of a classic screaming just kill it. He said it was sheer kaos for a long time. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Twolines said:

The head definitely looks viper....and it otherwise looks like a copperhead. 

One thing about young vipers is they dont as specifically control how much venom comes out in their bite. They are less choosy on what they bite as well. 

Heard quite a few stories about "baby" rattlers doing more damage than an adult.

I've read the same about brown recluses.

7 hours ago, Steve C. said:

I've read the same about brown recluses.

snakes don't bother me in the slightest, but spiders, now there's an evil creature. I hate them and I have to crawl in where they dwell on a near daily basis. I have long thought about getting an ozone generator to rid my house of any. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

snakes don't bother me in the slightest, but spiders, now there's an evil creature. I hate them and I have to crawl in where they dwell on a near daily basis. I have long thought about getting an ozone generator to rid my house of any. 

I’ve never heard of the ozone thing.  Is that supposed to really work?  

2 minutes ago, MCC said:

I’ve never heard of the ozone thing.  Is that supposed to really work?  

supposedly if you set it up and close up the house ( with no pets inside) you will find it devoid of living creatures upon your return and smelling like nothing. 

I had a bag of feed go bad about 10 years ago, started seeing little bugs in the cupboards, figured out they were weevils and coming up from downstairs where the bag had been stuck behind something and forgotten. cleaned out the entire house of grain stuff, wiped everything down and cleared out for the weekend, I set up Black Flag bug bombs on each level, we didn't have a spider, or an ant for probably 6 months and very few airborne menaces either. I have been tempted to do that again. 

48 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

That is a rough one in your line of work. Of course, in my basement I've seen both!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KWRB said:

That is a rough one in your line of work. Of course, in my basement I've seen both!

I was told a story about a local HVAC guy getting bit by a Brown Recluse spider behind the ear and ending up in the hospital for weeks.  I believe I was bit by one of those based on the pictures I found on the web matching the black meat inside the swollen wound area.  The black meat fell out and left a pea sized hole.  It was absolutely disgusting.  The best spider killer I found was spray glue, worked like a charm.  

• Like 1

Not many snakes around here, bulls and garders about it. They eat mice, I hate mice, so I leave the snakes alone. Don't seem to have many mice around right now, the bait I have out for them is not disappearing very fast. Apparently not many coons or opossums either!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MCC said:

I was told a story about a local HVAC guy getting bit by a Brown Recluse spider behind the ear and ending up in the hospital for weeks.  I believe I was bit by one of those based on the pictures I found on the web matching the black meat inside the swollen wound area.  The black meat fell out and left a pea sized hole.  It was absolutely disgusting.  The best spider killer I found was spray glue, worked like a charm.  

Like shooting fox though, you gotta be there. 

• Like 1