JI Case 1594 Good or Bad?

JWDozer

Looking for thoughts on 1594 mfwd, good, bad and ugly. Tractor house  has one for 11. It looks a little rough for that price but might take a lower offer. Not a lot of info on forums, I have heard the engine has problems to someone's "best tractor" he has ever owned. I am more of a hobby farmer (mostly hay and some mowing chores) I also try to fix everything I can on my equipment. I have a 1470 tk and I love it, nothing that I can fix on it. Same ballpark as my tk or totally different animal?

25 minutes ago, JWDozer said:

Looking for thoughts on 1594 mfwd, good, bad and ugly. Tractor house  has one for 11. It looks a little rough for that price but might take a lower offer. Not a lot of info on forums, I have heard the engine has problems to someone's "best tractor" he has ever owned. I am more of a hobby farmer (mostly hay and some mowing chores) I also try to fix everything I can on my equipment. I have a 1470 tk and I love it, nothing that I can fix on it. Same ballpark as my tk or totally different animal?

Totally different animal. I think it’s based off of the David Brown tractors? Way to new for me to know much about them. 

A David Brown based tractor is as good as any tractor that has had a good maintenance achedule. They employ basic technology and are strong for their hp range. Abuse it and it will eventually bite back. I started out on them and was never disappointed for what they are - a good basic tractor with not a lot of frills.

• Like 2

It is a David Brown. Case owned David Brown.  They were decaled David Brown in the UK, Case here. 

1594 was the replacement for the 1690, which apparently had engine issues. 

The Case IH Maxxum was the David Brown legacy to Case IH. 

28 minutes ago, farmall666 said:

WE HAD A 1494 MFWD. STOUT LITTLE TRACTOR. HAD HYDRAULIC PUMP TROUBLES AT FIRST. CUMMINS ENGINE.

It would be quite a feat to put a Cummins in the 1494 I remember. The frame was part of the engine. The pan bolted to the bottom of the frame. The crankshaft bolted into the frame and the block bolted on top.

I have a 1490 4wd loader tractor. It’s a tough tractor. Mine is the 4 speed manual range with three spreed manual transmission, it’s a decent tractor. Haven’t had many issues with it other then the park brake, it leaves a bit to be desired. Pto clutch can’t be left disengaged for prolonged time without damaging engine thrust bearings. I feel they are decent simple tractors. 

I have a older 1210 4wd David Brown. It's great old tractor. Great on fuel and tough.Has the David Brown engine. There was 1494 2wd,same motor,turbo charged from factory, cab,air,weights only  2000hrs,power shift for sale on Fedbook not far from me.$9 k.I was drooling all over,perfect tractor for me now.But since I just bought another tractor that I haven't even ran yet,sitting here, I didn't call.But should have.

A neighnour here used to have a 2wd 1490 with a loader. Great little tractor. Like was said it was a David brown with a case on it. The 94's are the same to my knowledge except red paint. He never had much troubles with it at all except we put a new hydraulic pump in it. And fixed some leaks here and there. Typical type stuff. It was a powershift. Shifted very smooth. Fast hydraulics for its size. He used to pull a soft core round baler with it. Everyone says you should have 100 hp in front of them but that 1490 sure made some nice tight bales with it. They ended up moving and we sold it for him. Should've asked alot more I guess because it didn't take long for it to go. Now those same tractors are selling for twice as much around here. If I was looking for that size of tractor I would not be afraid of one

11 hours ago, snoshoe said:

It would be quite a feat to put a Cummins in the 1494 I remember. The frame was part of the engine. The pan bolted to the bottom of the frame. The crankshaft bolted into the frame and the block bolted on top.

I KNOW OURS HAD A CUMMINS. DID CUMMINS BUILD THE ENGINE FOR CASEIH..MAYBE WE HAD A 1594

I sold one new in 1988 totally a David Brown tractor. 3 engines in less than 100 hours. CaseIH finally gave the customer a 5130 to replace it. THAT experience soured me on any David Brown tractors.

44 minutes ago, Eason said:

I sold one new in 1988 totally a David Brown tractor. 3 engines in less than 100 hours. CaseIH finally gave the customer a 5130 to replace it. THAT experience soured me on any David Brown tractors.

I bought some used tires from a old guy who had the same experience except he upgraded to a 5140 with no regrets at all

Many people confuse the David Brown engine for a B series Cummins. The 94 series were still David Brown powered, the Cummins engines came with the Maxxum, but not until lol!

46 minutes ago, Injpumped said:

Many people confuse the David Brown engine for a B series Cummins. The 94 series were still David Brown powered, the Cummins engines came with the Maxxum, but not until lol!

Actually just before the Maxxums with the 1896 and 2096.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gearclash said:

Those model's still in operation probably about all have a broken draft control linkage if you pull the PTO. Not one of someone's better ideas. That part that always break's is about as scarce as hen's teeth if you want to find one

On 4/16/2022 at 5:36 AM, farmall666 said:

I KNOW OURS HAD A CUMMINS. DID CUMMINS BUILD THE ENGINE FOR CASEIH..MAYBE WE HAD A 1594

Are you sure you didn't have a 18 or 2096?

On 4/16/2022 at 12:04 PM, Gearclash said:

I'm fully aware of the 1896/2096 using Cummins B series engines, actually the first ag application, but the op was about the smaller David Brown tractors 1694 and smaller, which is what I was referencing.