Houston we have a problem

iowaboy1965

2 hours ago, bitty said:

Can you replace the shaft in the end of the auger while replacing the flighting to make it work with the available gears ? 

^^ This.  I’ve done it.  I would be tempted to start with a whole new auger, sans end shafts.  They are easy to make.

• Like 2

Thses pictures are not great either. Sun was glaring. So a weird thing. Info I've seen says 3/4 or 1, 1/8 shaft. This measure 1" 🤔

Flighting was welded at top and bottom only had it been welded several more places it may not have done what it did. Bottom weld broke/rusted.

20220414_173837.jpg

20220414_173842.jpg

20220414_173917.jpg

20220414_173941.jpg

20220414_174102.jpg

In my travels today I may have found a parts machine for you. The owner just kind of needs it gone. I took some pics, not sure if it's the same as yours or not. Let me know if you think it will help.

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1367.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

In my travels today I may have found a parts machine for you. The owner just kind of needs it gone. I took some pics, not sure if it's the same as yours or not. Let me know if you think it will help.

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1367.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

It sure might....

I'm thinking the whole auger set up might bolt right onto mine. Heck might use mine for parts to fix that one. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

You could probably buy the whole thing for a song, located in Malcom. Getting it back to your place.......

If Ace can pull a disk down a mountain...........😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I didn't look at the tires very close, can't imagine they are very good. The hay-rake I need to go back and get has absolutely rotten tires on it. We sat it on the trailer, didn't find an orientation that worked. I'd pull it home if not for the tires. Wheel bearings could also be a problem. It's coming home one way or another!

• Like 2

Looks like you hit the honey hole DT 🙄

That place needs a clean up, think you'd be helping her out

11 hours ago, hardtail said:

Looks like you hit the honey hole DT 🙄

That place needs a clean up, think you'd be helping her out

There is a bit of 'other stuff' I may help her clean-up! Only have so much room to store all this treasure!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Pretty soon gonna need another shed🤔

Well, there's no doubt about that!!! Have some plans but need to get the estate settled first. About a hundred tons of gravel would be nice too!

• Like 1

We fixed those parts a few times. The gears were still available a couple years ago. You grinder isn’t the early one with that set up. The early ones ran the auger down low and tried to flip feed up into vertical auger.

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

We fixed those parts a few times. The gears were still available a couple years ago. You grinder isn’t the early one with that set up. The early ones ran the auger down low and tried to flip feed up into vertical auger.

Your right Dale mine doesn't have the flipper down low. Whan I look at the parts manual on the artsway we'd site for the 300/400 it calls out 3/4" auger shaft. Gear description doesn't call out a bore size in that manual tho later ones do.  Looking a second time and manual it calls out a 1" bearing on both ends of shaft. Measuring the shaft it is 1" all the way up. So there must have been a change or mistake somewhere along the line in the manual or parts used? 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DT Fan said:

Status update? Not sure when I'll be able to get the rest of my treasure yet but still on my mind.

I haven't been in too big a hurry. My batches are all small so I can unload into a bucket or tote for now but not as convenient.  Was kinda waiting to see what came of the one you found before I made a decision on buying parts.  No big rush tho. Whenever you get ready to go again let me know. 👍

The 826 starter became a bigger priority for now. It's apart on the bench and I have a kit coming 1st half of the coming week.

• Like 1

the pin that goes thru the drive dog is supposed to be a shear pin. its soft its supposed to break before gear or auger damage occurs. farmers being farmers the first pin that sheared got replaced with a grade 5 or 8 bolt that they had laying around

1 minute ago, hippy5488 said:

the pin that goes thru the drive dog is supposed to be a shear pin. its soft its supposed to break before gear or auger damage occurs. farmers being farmers the first pin that sheared got replaced with a grade 5 or 8 bolt that they had laying around

I'm sure your right. These are all keyed and the one that is broken is the result of me getting a lil too forceful trying to get it off without heating it. Think end of shaft may have been slightly swelled due to a missed swing with a hammer putting it on the last time....but there should be some shear protection somewhere in the drive train your a right. I should look the whole thing over before it goes back together and figure out where that is suppose to be!