Bigger problem than inflation supply chain or a war

1256pickett

Anybody else notice a lack of manners?

I have always thought of myself as a very well mannered guy for being a yankee. ‘Yes sir’ ‘thank you ma’am’ etc. The other night at work there was a new girl was dumping a bucket of product near me and I went over to help. Afterwards she said “thank you sir”. First I can’t remember being called sir before. That got me to thinking I haven’t been using ‘sir’ or ‘ma’am’ very much myself lately. Kinda disappointed in myself and blaming it on this factory environment I’ve been in for last 15 years. 

Earlier this evening I was at our county beef producers meeting and got to talking to a good friends daughter. She’s a young vet working in a small animal clinic and doing a little large animal on her own. She was talking about how rude customers (at the clinic) have gotten in last year or two. Maybe I’m not alone and we all need to make an effort on manners?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I always try to use sir and ma'am when appropriate.

But I am most proud of my boys for doing so.

Running ahead to get a door for an elderly person.

Not swearing in front of women.

We are none of us perfect but I like to think we try.

I like hearing from other people how polite my boys are.

I know I am from the stone age but I think manners show respect. And that leads to a kindness towards others.

I think the best we can do is lead by example try to raise our children to reflect our values.

The road back to to a polite mannerly society starts with us.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

I think the best we can do is lead by example try to raise our children to reflect our values.

That is why I was so upset with myself. I don’t have kids myself but always think I might influence someone else. 

• Like 2

i have three grandsons two my son's and one my daughter's 17, 19, & 23 years old and i am always pleased with their manners and consideration of other people.

pete 

• Like 2

I was at a high school lacrosse game yesterday and appalled at the language I was hearing. Out of girls. On and off the field. I saw a girl get tossed from the game for swearing AT THE REFEREE!

• Sad 1

Parents definitely have some influence on their kids, but it's getting to be less and less.

The public school system gets more of the kids' time and attention, teaching them awful things.  The universities are training grounds for the hideous cultural crap that's being shoved in their faces.  "Social" media teaches them to be rude and obnoxious.

They've been desensitized by hollywood and the entire entertainment industry.  Many politicians, along with so many others, use incredibly vulgar language constantly.

The only surprise is that some of them are good kids in spite of all that.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Steve C. said:

Parents definitely have some influence on their kids, but it's getting to be less and less.

The public school system gets more of the kids' time and attention, teaching them awful things.  The universities are training grounds for the hideous cultural crap that's being shoved in their faces.  "Social" media teaches them to be rude and obnoxious.

They've been desensitized by hollywood and the entire entertainment industry.  Many politicians, along with so many others, use incredibly vulgar language constantly.

The only surprise is that some of them are good kids in spite of all that.

Definitely agree with you on all of it. Have a 17 and 18 year old myself. They’re definitely growing up in a very different time than I did. I know quite a few good kids their age. I do realize it’s hard for them to buck the trends of today’s society when they constantly are being pushed the opposite way.

• Like 1

I think my kids and the majority of their friends in K-8 are respectful of manners and pretty inclusionary of anyones views and ideas which is nice to see.

Parents... no,  not at all.   At some point from young teen to adult most adults transform to A-holes.   I do it too myself sometime.   Its a trap of our self absorbed 

culture that rewards personal stats over team victories.  Its a problem when some people are admiring you for driving a brand new truck but no thought is given to the means you used to get it.

• Like 1

I agree that it has gotten real bad in the last couple of years and is definitely getting worse.  Driving the road has gotten really horrendous.  Aggressive driving (in spite of established NY DMV rules) is every where and God help you if are not driving an 80,000 dollar PU.  

• Like 1

I feel this on the parts end a lot. I get it, farmers want the items they paid for, but I don't need to be screamed at over the phone. I am not the reason we have a steel and copper shortage right now. Thankfully there is a lot of understanding ones but those bitter ones about ruin your day. 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Abby De Vries said:

I feel this on the parts end a lot. I get it, farmers want the items they paid for, but I don't need to be screamed at over the phone. I am not the reason we have a steel and copper shortage right now. Thankfully there is a lot of understanding ones but those bitter ones about ruin your day. 

There are a lot more horse's a$$es than there are horses.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

We can still influence others. Hold the door. Say thanks you instead of "no problem". Say please and smile, you'll do better than demanding and scowling. I use a smile all the time and it almost always works and costs me nothing. It's infectious too. You make someone's day nicer and they may make the next person's nicer.

My wife will make the kids at school say please when they demand something of her. It doesn't work on all of the little brats but some remember and say please the next time. It's a little victory and maybe the kid will remember to use please elsewhere.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, New Englander said:

It doesn't work on all of the little brats but some remember and say please the next time.

At some point one of the "little brats" WILL go home and tell Karen how he/she is being singled out, and Karen WILL go to either the principle, the  school board, and/or the MEDIA about how "out-dated", NON-politically correct, values are being demanded of her/his child.

• Sad 1

Darn it! I know better but i have a terribly vast cuss vocabulary. Some words are made up and dont have any direct meaning but the one i apply at the moment.

That said i do practice civilized behavior in public. The look of suprise and confusion on a strangers face when offering help these days is telling. Offered help to an old lady loading bags the other day at the feed store..she looked suprised then smiled and replied "no thanks hun, i got it". I think maybe just noticing her made her day.

An opposite experience in walmart...i was pushing a loaded down cart with a bad wheel down an isle wife ahead of me. A mother and a taller early teen boy headed at us, boy in center of isle looked right at me and bumped into the wife. Her "excuse me", him nothing. Then proceeds to stand in my way as if i could or should maneuver around him. I offered an excuse me with a plain face and his mother looked me down. When he did finally yield he walked passed me as if hed shoulder check me. Had that been me and my mother or father ida been dealt a lesson in manners right then and there. Mom would smacked the crap outta me for sure. I wanted to smack the hat off that little shits head and show him what it is to be a real azzhole. Glad i didnt, sure id be in jail.

I can remember growing up on the little patch of hill my wife and i are both from...u didnt dare sass old lady blanch or mrs bates..surely an azz whipping would be received. I could swear at my dad, oddly we communicate the best that way but i didnt dare take those notes and tone with most anyone else...he made sure i knew where the line was.

One more...lord knows i could go on.. walked into home depot and asked a man and two ladies if they could direct me to an isle and before i could finish the guy told me hes not here to shop for me.. i replied that shopping for me was not my request. Thankfully wife knows me pretty well and grabbed my sleeve and directed me onward but not before i knocked over his fancy display of buckets...which i kindly apologized for before walking away. I know i know, not the greatest move but i needed to make a point. I worked 6 yrs in hardware as a youngster and had i ever said that to a customer ida been fired on the spot. I was taught the opposite, that i am there for the customer.

• Like 1