Jump to content

What would you do if.....


Cdfarabaugh

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, midnightman said:

Lol. I was browsing a couple auction sales on my phone last night. My wife seen tractors over my shoulder. It was a direct “You’re not buying another tractor!”. I guess we’ll see what happens 🤷‍♂️

You need to explain that she needs to bid higher than you otherwise she might be wrong about that 😅

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All these ideas,facts and scenarios will work,have work and will continue to work in the future just on a different scale.

All of these ideas,facts and scenarios will fail,have failed and will continue to fail in the future just on a different scale.

The moral of the story is people are different what works for one won't for the next guy.

I started with a like new round baler in 1978 as my first piece of equipment, used dad's tractors and he used my baler.Then a bought a 574,followed in different years,by a M ,560.Lotsa equipment purchased when I was bidding against the junk man.Fixed,built equity,moved up,better equipment.Bought a farm.I fixed,built equity moved up, better equipment. I know the tractor,combine equipment market is just crazy.But this should come as no surprise if you were paying attention to the new market. Half million dollar combines,choppers have been out for years now. 150 to 300 hp row crop MFWD 200k to 350 k tractors,150 k corn planters,manure spreaders heading to 100k.Todays world is a different world but I am sure people will succeed and people will fail.Old stuff will work just takes the guy who can make it work.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm 37 and farm with my dad we own 300 acres tillable certified organic. We also rent another 100 acres and run it organic and custom farm another 250 acres conventional for a neighbor. We have been buying a international tractor a year for the last 6 years. 3088,3488,3688,5488 2wd,5488 mfwd and 6588. We look and take our time buying them. We have also bought equipment only if we can pay cash. We run a debt free operation. 

 

I do all the work on our equipment, buy older stuff and fix it make it the way it should be and taking good care of it. Some day I say I'm a fixer not a farmer.

We are 6 row 30" planter The combine is a New Holland tr86. It's in good shape and I spend a lot of time working on it. I've had the rotors out a few times. It's old but paid for and in good shape. 

I am good at fixing air conditioning. Every a/c works on the farm. My whole childhood we never had a working air conditioner. I learned how to fix them. The older equipment is so much nicer with working a/c.

I have all old equipment but I try hard to keep it reliable and in good shape.

Being organic with having small acres is something that has helped us. We have been certified organic for 23 years now. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Black Shuck said:

I've been working along these lines for the past couple years.  I've found that they key is to browse craigslist frequently (I am very good at this) and to have cash available to move fast for the right machine at the right price (this is the part I suck at). 

Cash is king!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 2+2love said:

I'm 37 and farm with my dad we own 300 acres tillable certified organic. We also rent another 100 acres and run it organic and custom farm another 250 acres conventional for a neighbor. We have been buying a international tractor a year for the last 6 years. 3088,3488,3688,5488 2wd,5488 mfwd and 6588. We look and take our time buying them. We have also bought equipment only if we can pay cash. We run a debt free operation. 

 

I do all the work on our equipment, buy older stuff and fix it make it the way it should be and taking good care of it. Some day I say I'm a fixer not a farmer.

We are 6 row 30" planter The combine is a New Holland tr86. It's in good shape and I spend a lot of time working on it. I've had the rotors out a few times. It's old but paid for and in good shape. 

I am good at fixing air conditioning. Every a/c works on the farm. My whole childhood we never had a working air conditioner. I learned how to fix them. The older equipment is so much nicer with working a/c.

I have all old equipment but I try hard to keep it reliable and in good shape.

Being organic with having small acres is something that has helped us. We have been certified organic for 23 years now. 

 

I like your approach.

Timing is important too.  I got hooked on farming in the late '60s / early 70s when it was pretty profitable.  In '78  I started borrowing a little to buy used equipment - farmed 400 acres of corn, beans, and a little wheat, and did a little custom work with $30,000 worth of used machinery.  Just started to get rolling when the sh!t hit the fan in '80 with the first of three consecutive severe droughts, and the Fed decided to raise interest rates.  Rolled over 7% notes at 18%.  Not fun, but character building for sure.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Black Shuck said:

I've been working along these lines for the past couple years.  I've found that they key is to browse craigslist frequently (I am very good at this) and to have cash available to move fast for the right machine at the right price (this is the part I suck at). 

That’s the way I’ve been trying to do it. Have missed a few sweet deals when I didn’t have the cash for it in hand.  Most of the equipment I have bought is not by any means field ready, not by my standards anyway, even though the other guy was using it in that condition. By the time I get everything good it’s usually time to sell it for more than I paid for it and upgrade to the next project piece.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, midnightman said:

That’s the way I’ve been trying to do it. Have missed a few sweet deals when I didn’t have the cash for it in hand.  Most of the equipment I have bought is not by any means field ready, not by my standards anyway, even though the other guy was using it in that condition. By the time I get everything good it’s usually time to sell it for more than I paid for it and upgrade to the next project piece.

Early to middle  90s when I was in my low 20s, I used to buy mainly tillage stuff that needed work.  Like you say, just amazing how some people run stuff to death still using it. Disks in particular. 15-16" blades and the bottom of the bearing flanges wore off, lol. I just enjoyed doing that kind of stuff back then. Was no get rich quick scheme but added a little to the bank account. You get what you work for in life. Not what you wish for.  

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 856 Custom said:

Early to middle  90s when I was in my low 20s, I used to buy mainly tillage stuff that needed work.  Like you say, just amazing how some people run stuff to death still using it. Disks in particular. 15-16" blades and the bottom of the bearing flanges wore off, lol. I just enjoyed doing that kind of stuff back then. Was no get rich quick scheme but added a little to the bank account. You get what you work for in life. Not what you wish for.  

One thing about it. If you buy a cheap disk for example and go through and re blade and bearing it, at least you know what you got when your done. And most of the time you wont have any more money than buying one in nice shape that normally will disappoint you when you start using it. 

My krause disk I bought has all 19.5-20" blades. Some of them are getting thin enough if I catch a big rock they bend out on the ends a little. I figured I'll wait until I catch a deal on all new blades and have them waiting for me. I'll still get 5 or 6 years on what it came with. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will give an example of what I do. 5488 bought last December. Mfwd inline pump 18.4x 42 rears with duels. The master clutch and sentry box was not working and had a lot of electrical issues. Bought it and fixed everything except the master clutch myself. Put a mike links sentry box in it, fixed all the electric issues and lots of small stuff and all new a/c components. Figured I would do updates and master clutch. Luckily the updates were done already and looked good. 

The field cultivator was a cheap buy replaced all hydraulic hoses and shovels and rebuilt hydraulic cylinders.

Brillion roller I bought a month ago. Replaced all tires bearings new hoses remounted scrapers and put lights on it.

The whole rig I have less then $35,00 into. I bet you couldn't buy a new 24 foot cultivator for that today. 

 

IMG_20220413_163440.jpg

IMG_20220413_163149.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...