TD9 salvage

will it start ?? it would start much better if he held the glow plugs while cranking and till the smoke disappears.

..interesting  !!!...could havee been in the Marlborough Sounds area ???  ...not sure

I know of a Caterpillar 9U D6   ''abandoned'' like that old 9 was.... owner deceased....Excellent condition... but the logistics of negotiating  with 'new' land owners...time ..access    etc just makes it in the two hard   basket...plus..in the event of sucessful    salvage...who actually owns it  ???

...Wonder how that track pin  was ''lost''...  they just don't fall out....if they work out , you will ''hear'' all about it ...as the pin end binds on various obstructions along the way....

Mike

This had Mr Newman flavour all over it, dreaming of that 9U 😴

Not a bad old dozer. Nice scenery.

I think that is Marty T ...has lots of followers.  He rescues old gear...grader,tractors,etc.

• Like 1

Is this a TD9-92 series, TD9-B or newer? Just curious.

Thanks Mike.  If it sat around that long in this part of the hemisphere I'm sure something would have been seized up on it. (steering clutches, for one). Still a neat video.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2022 at 9:13 AM, mike newman said:

..interesting  !!!...could havee been in the Marlborough Sounds area ???  ...not sure

Yes Mike, Marlborough Sounds. Several other rust-orations pulled out of the bush on his channel

On 4/9/2022 at 4:05 PM, mmi said:

Different from the member here?

I think so... Search doesn't show a MartyT here at moment... anyhow, I did in the video comments suggest he come over here to the forum for a look.... but the comment got deleted so not sure if the message go through.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2022 at 2:58 PM, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

The member that I was thinking of is @Martin Thompson . I guess he can enlighten us if he wants. I know he is from that part of the world. Or maybe @mmi was thinking of someone else?

Hi guys sadly that was not me , but what a great save. Would have slowly desolved there otherwise.  That is at the other end of the island from me. 

Marty,NZ

• Thanks 1

Mike has posted pics that mother nature doesn't take much time to reclaim iron down there

5 hours ago, hardtail said:

Mike has posted pics that mother nature doesn't take much time to reclaim iron down there

I am amazed at how long Koo can have a dozer sunk, shake the water out of it and be going.  Here we'd be stripping it after about 5 minutes.

Our Cat trained diesel mech son got a call to a shore area where they were building a new boat ramp.  They had sunk the excavator and tide was coming in.  He taped everything possible and at high tide the top warning light was visible.  They fished it out next day.  A small Cat machine with 23 hours on it and probably scrapped

• Sad 1