What is enough info /photos to purchase something?

mmi

What is enough info /photos to purchase something?

When scambay started I purchased items ALL over the world,you got a few grainey photos ,decent description,talked with seller at length, sent the $$ and hoped all went well.  99.5% did.

Now the various shippers play football and then deny ANY claim. Scambay does EVERYTHING possible to deny contact with a seller and inflate fees /shipping.deny claims

For in country, use to be you could call and actually talk to the seller,they would send photos (on a computer) and discuss at length if a visit was necessary.

If it was an auction  either seller or auction did all they could,.esp to get you to look and attend.

Last 6 years it just gets worse and they ALL are totally LAZY !!!!, You should do their work and just pay $6x and like it.!

It is near impossible to get good photos esp of a vin or overall., more than 3 photos, or any details.... year size gvw ,miles, acres etc.

Would you buy any of these, or travel hours to get the simplest of answers?

Would you want more details?

LT40 Portable sawmill w/33hp Kubota diesel motor, hydraulics, has debarker on it, shows 940 hours.

We have several pictures and the write up on auction zip about the sawmill.

What details to you want?

It is a

1999 LT40 Portable sawmill w/33hp Kubota diesel motor, hydraulics, has debarker on it, shows 940 hours,

And it is in good shape.

AHHHH maybe the vin, the hours on gauge/control box,,the invoice as equiped, good photos of the oil leaks,breaks welds etc.  It is an 8 hour trip to answer these ? our self.

687471514_fl.jpeg.c5c36929820e090bbe1ab78a76dbe721.jpeg

687471442_fl.jpeg.98cd407b3c2f9eedfd4c934c2dd50237.jpeg

$1,100,000 Business property 

47 acres w/12500 sq ft shop and offices, 7200 sq ft shop And warehouse and 25x160 storage bldg. 480V power, non conforming zoning. Plenty of parking.

Hello would you forward some photos, address tax id etc?

Re: call bob so he can tell the details by phone.

( Its not in the trucking area as described,has nothing but wwii sheds,is a strip mine, with years of dumping along with acid ponds and govt water treatment ,where everyone is in/out of the use able acres at will.

-----------------

2008 was the last time running

img.axd?id=7654437134&wid=&rwl=false&p=&ext=&w=0&h=0&t=&lp=&c=true&wt=false&sz=MAX&checksum=ekzYzY5AkOPCI8z4uTxH9CY6JojfIBeH

img.axd?id=7654435626&wid=&rwl=false&p=&ext=&w=0&h=0&t=&lp=&c=true&wt=false&sz=MAX&checksum=gYxPmoWTU%2fhBaql8azO%2fkY7x7fvADi8I

----------------

Machine starts and runs good, 2' bucket, strong machine, hour meter unreadable, 2 new batteries

img.axd?id=7258480447&wid=&rwl=false&p=&ext=&w=0&h=0&t=&lp=&c=true&wt=false&sz=MAX&checksum=Xp5A9J37Zut1BxcnqNLv2gWULChp7ViU

3pth, good rubber, gas, 4cyl

img.axd?id=7651211293&wid=&rwl=false&p=&ext=&w=0&h=0&t=&lp=&c=true&wt=false&sz=MAX&checksum=3LdhWeYdc87LOrMb8VoYmbudgKi4jc6l

Click Main Image For Fullscreen Model

img.axd?id=7653128092&wid=&rwl=false&p=&ext=&w=0&h=0&t=&lp=&c=true&wt=false&sz=MAX&checksum=YT7rrMOGDbIw%2fYho65UbbOIeGgM0cZGt

If I'm spending serious money I prefer to look at it either in person or have someone I trust. A friend recently made two 1500 mile round trips to inspect planters. He bought the second one.

Shipping is another thing. I recently had US MAIL 'loose' a $600 package. Insurance is included with priority mail but read the fine print. They only cover $50 without additional costs... 

Good luck finding a sawmill. They are priced out of sight now!

Thx-Ace 

• Sad 1

Linn mills are affordable and i like the haardware store steel yard build...no real proprietary parts...then if u want all the fancy hydraulics its either build urself or buy a unit from woodmizer.

Myself im fine with the manual labor compared to cost. My mill handles all i need and then some. 36"x27' capacity and if i want to go longer i can head to the steel yard and break out the welder.

As far as scambay...ive had nothing but good so far but then im not making big money purchases.. last was manuals for my dozer and a 1980s snapon stubby 3/8 ratchet.

Man, id love to have those first 2 old tractors...

Basically I won’t buy anything unless I see it in person. I was at a cattle sale when I was a teenager, a guy on the phone bought choice of two heifers, he had pictures and epds the whole live crowd let out a gasp when he picked the wrong one. He had spent big money on that heifer. After that I don’t trust pictures. 

In 2010 I bought a 5088 sight unseen off of tractorhouse. It was really a nice tractor. Everything that the used equipment dealer said it was. I put no money on it til it was at my place. He said "if it isnt what I said it was send it back". It wasnt misrepresented at all and I wrote out a check for 22000 delivered from Ohio. I still have it today. 

Fast forward to 2022 and if you look at the pictures you get and then go look in person its like most people know how to take pictures so it always looks better in the picture. Its hard to trust most sellars. Honesty and integrity on the selling side is rare. Especially in the ones that tell you how honest they are from eastern Illinois!

I have experienced frustration both as a buyer and as a seller. It all boils down to 2 things how bad to you want to sell something, or how bad do you want to buy something as to how much effort you want to put in. 
imo the only crime in advertising/selling is misrepresenting the item. Ask whatever you want but be honest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tractorholic said:

In 2010 I bought a 5088 sight unseen off of tractorhouse. It was really a nice tractor. Everything that the used equipment dealer said it was. I put no money on it til it was at my place. He said "if it isnt what I said it was send it back". It wasnt misrepresented at all and I wrote out a check for 22000 delivered from Ohio. I still have it today. 

Fast forward to 2022 and if you look at the pictures you get and then go look in person its like most people know how to take pictures so it always looks better in the picture. Its hard to trust most sellars. Honesty and integrity on the selling side is rare. Especially in the ones that tell you how honest they are from eastern Illinois!

You don't have to fast forward to now, it's always been both ways. We've looked at some things over the last 20 years that the pictures were 100% accurate, then some were like you say taken so it looks better. And that can be both private seller and auction/dealers. About 5 years ago dad went just over 2 hours to look at a grain vac at a auction sale. The pictures all looked really good. When he got there I guess they never took any pictures of the side that was all smashed up. He told the auctioneer don't you think you should put pictures of the while unit up. He told him that's just how it is. Then about 15 years ago we went 5 hours to look at a pair of 2+2's. The owner said they were all good shape, tight shifting, etc. Well when we got there sure they looked ok, but mechanically they were not as good shape as he told us in the phone. 

For small stuff I've bought lots sight unseen, and even a few bigger items at auction sales if it's cheap enough yet we'll take the chance just going off pictures. So far everything has been all that it was described and shown to be. But as a rule one of us will try to go look at what we're interested in before buying it, especially on bigger items. Even if it's 5 or 6 hours away and might mean making a special trip just to look. There's been enough times that making that trip to look has saved us from buying some misrepresented junk

Its a matter of expectation vs reality.

I assume everything listed is a beat down broken up piece of trash.  If there is not a photo of 1 side then that is where the damage is.

Sellers are GUILTY until they provide documentation of innocence.

And that philosophy has not let me down with any site unseen purchase.

I have no problem ,going to look but....If its a 3 -8-12 hr trip and I ASK nice for. A REASON TO LOOK....  the model # the length ,miles ,the vin,  photos NOT to disquise ,good photos, more than 2 photos, and you ABSOLUTEly REFUSE, and 3x with a passion refuse to give sellers contact............then its fair game to contact  seller/s- lawyer.

As for online many are using watson to bid the last 2 hrs. 50% just recycle until sold for 150% of retail

I’ve been very lucky buying over the internet. Mainly Craigslist. Probably 14 plows, a Kewanee disc, a Quicke 660 loader, Maschio flail mower, Case 5300 grain drill & on & on and just today a crazy powerful motorcycle in Virginia. The iPhone and its FaceTime have been my guiding eye. And it’s great for sizing up the person I’m dealing with. I’ve met a lot of nice people this way and stay in contact with many of them. 

As a rule we will not buy anything larger sight unseen. It’s so easy to be taken advantage of. I’ve seen it multiple times at the auctions. Worst one was a fairly new 125 kw whisperwatt generator at ritchies in nisku. Looked brand new on the outside but was listed as non running no more details were given though. I looked it over and when I opened the side covers I could see the crankshaft sticking through the oil pan lol. Fast forward to auction day it sold for the most money of the ones in that group and went to California.  I did manage to get the hour meter to come up after playing with it and it had around 10,000 hours if I remember correctly.  I’ve gotten where I can usually judge something pretty good by looking at pics but still don’t trust it. On the other hand when we bought out high clearance sprayer I looked the pics over first. They had taken a picture of the block and the patch that was put on it. I knew right away what was wrong as it was a 53 series  5.9 block.  We ended up with it anyways and the next winter we did a complete rebuild with a good used block.