Pulling a disk home

acem

I've made a deal on a 14ft 470 disk about 50 miles from home. 

I plan to pull her home with my 93 D250 (not the 91 with fuel problems). I plan to pack the wheel bearings, install trailer tires, block up the cylinder,  then hook up and go! II'll take a chain and boomer if it wants to road walk. 

I think it will be OK except I have to be careful because it's up in the Boston mountains.

Anything I'm forgetting?

Thx-Ace 

Flashing lights on the truck wide load sign spare tires impact extra wheel bearings red flags and safety chains. 50 miles is a pretty short trip. As long as everything checks out I’m sure you’ll have no problems except for other drivers on the road maybe. 

Pulled my 490 home about 60 miles a year ago. Didn't do anything too fancy. One tire just made it! Did have a spare and tools to change but didn't need them. For us getting across the Des Moines river was the big challenge. Took the 4-land 'bypass' around the south side at 35-37 mph. It really pulled pretty good if you stayed under 40.

There's a thread on here about this little adventure.

Good luck!

I’ve never had to tow a disk, but heard quite a few guys that have said that they are the worst thing they have ever towed. Apparently tow better if you weight the back of your truck.

I have no insight on pulling a disk 50 miles but when I read things like this I have to smile and think what my Dad would tell me every so often.  Frank, you worry too GD much! Never got excited about anything but somehow it always worked out. 

• Like 1

I pulled a 496 about 70 miles, and the second trip was a 4800 field cultivator. From what I remember, they both pulled good around 30-35mph. I bought both at a dealer and I was able to get a good deal on the two pieces. I was young and dumb!! Didn’t take anything along to change a tire. Lucky for me, I didn’t have any issues!! 

• Like 1

I pulled this one for a buddy years ago for 10-15 miles. You should be fine 😊 I was young and dumb then also. It was 15+ years ago and before cell phones but I don’t remember things getting too crazy.  

E6E6C167-77F4-47B2-9609-E6AF19C204AD.jpeg

• Like 2

Pulled our 26 ft Krause Disc home behind the pickup. Definitely didn't want anymore behind that truck. And between where we bought it and home there were some fair sized hills to navigate. 51 mile trip. 

25 minutes ago, Alan Dinan said:

From what I remember, they both pulled good around 30-35mph

I think that is the secret here. 

Find the speed it travels well at, don't try to push more speed, sit back and enjoy the scenery

• Like 7

I'll go slow. It's up in the mountains.

I was hoping to go tomorrow but he's busy and I am supposed to load out rice Thursday. My wife is working Friday and Saturday. I somebody to run interference on a narrow bridge with a blind curve.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, acem said:

I'll go slow. It's up in the mountains.

I was hoping to go tomorrow but he's busy and I am supposed to load out rice Thursday. My wife is working Friday and Saturday. I somebody to run interference on a narrow bridge with a blind curve.

Thx-Ace 

Yeah, it'd be great to have a pilot vehicle.

• Like 1

If you have a pair of front tractor weights hang them on the disc tongue. They weigh it down and help stop the sway. 

Be careful, John

i would hook a chain from your tow pin to the corner of the disk and bind it tight, this will keep any sway from hitch wear out of it.

i have pulled equipment with pickups and tractors some tow fine, some wonder back and forth even at low speed

Back in the 90s i pulled a 32ft wilrich fld cult 160 mi home with my 86 F250 dsl. IIRC there were 2 basic widths of the center section and this was the wide one and the wings stood staight up so probly around 18 ft wide. Came from north of St Johns MI down to Angola IN. Biggest town was Charlotte and went right through town on Rt 27. towed good, did not sway like some disks i have pulled. There was one place i did have to back a half mile or so cause it would not fit through a bridge on a county road. After that i stayed on State roads.

As said, chain the tongue over, add weight in the truck because they don't have much tongue weight, add magnetic flashers on the outboard sides, wide load banners and I like to add flags on the rear corners as well.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 9:28 PM, catman13 said:

if you have a spare tire and wheel off of some thing take along, take a jack and some tools, good luck and have fun

catman is spot on the other thing I do is put a grease fitting in the hub cap and pump it full of grease most implement bearings have not been repacked from the day they were built

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 11:10 PM, nate said:

Chain the tongue from the get go.  Save you a stop to do it alongside the road.    Get a couple magnetic blinks lights to put on it.  

On 4/4/2022 at 11:28 PM, catman13 said:

if you have a spare tire and wheel off of some thing take along, take a jack and some tools, good luck and have fun

On 4/5/2022 at 12:07 AM, poor farmer/logger said:

Flashing lights on the truck wide load sign spare tires impact extra wheel bearings red flags and safety chains. 50 miles is a pretty short trip. As long as everything checks out I’m sure you’ll have no problems except for other drivers on the road maybe. 

good idea 

On 4/5/2022 at 5:21 AM, rrr4quality said:

A short prayer before you leave never hurts!

i said many along the way

On 4/5/2022 at 9:26 AM, DT Fan said:

Pulled my 490 home about 60 miles a year ago. Didn't do anything too fancy. One tire just made it! Did have a spare and tools to change but didn't need them. For us getting across the Des Moines river was the big challenge. Took the 4-land 'bypass' around the south side at 35-37 mph. It really pulled pretty good if you stayed under 40.

There's a thread on here about this little adventure.

Good luck!

i never busted over 30 just didnt like the risk of old tires on the disk, i did check bearings and brought an air compressor full and bubble so i could stop along teh way if needed 

@sandhillersaid go slow, my wife and I made a great trip of it, back roads for the 24ft krause - no need to weight the tongue on it, my superduty knew it was there - be sure to put the road stop on the lift cylinder - we had 60 some miles IIRC couple yrs back and stopped every 10 miles or so and checked stuff im a nervous ninny when pulling that stuff - we made it ok but i had a couple pucker moments with idiots on the road 

• Like 2

Pulled her home today.

It was further up in the mountains than I remembered. The first 20 miles or so was tricky. The roads were narrow with steep drop offs in places. Fortunately the people I met there were accustomed to the roads.

I had a friend help me cross the bridge over the mulberry River.

Slow smooth sailing.

The disk is not much to look at but it's a size I needed for small jobs, is in working order and was priced right.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 10