Jump to content

I Am Impervious


vtfireman85
 Share

Recommended Posts

Grandpa used to ask..

”can you see where i am working?

”no”

”well how the he!! Do you expect me to?” 
 

dad wasn’t quite as pleasant. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Glad they invented the head lamps  

you know, I hadn't drawn the connection between headlamps and Woke aka offended culture🤔

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ive heard one to a similar tone. 

If you loaded cattle with your Dad, you're not a snowflake.

I loaded cattle with both my Dad and Grandpa. Its going to take more than you can dish out to hurt my feelings. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Grandpa used to ask..

”can you see where i am working?

”no”

”well how the he!! Do you expect me to?” 
 

dad wasn’t quite as pleasant. 

I’ve heard that exact line more than once

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Grandpa used to ask..

”can you see where i am working?

”no”

”well how the he!! Do you expect me to?” 
 

dad wasn’t quite as pleasant. 

I remember something very similar to that from my Dad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, IH Forever said:

I remember something very similar to that from my Dad.

my dad was the dad is the day who is volitile and quick to explode when things happen like working on vehicles, slipped wrench meant using it as a hammer - screaming expletives, breaking things because of his temper and hammering, i quickly learned i was never good enough, and he was dangerous to work around. I did things alone most the time and sent him on errands or tasks so we didnt have to clash or he didnt create more to fix. I never let him touch any of my vehicles they were junk but they were all I had and I had to keep them running.  I have tried not to be that dad for my kids. It was a scary way to grow up and demoralizing because I was always a failure. Thank God for opportunity to be better and learn who my real Dad is. 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Reichow7120 said:

Ive heard one to a similar tone. 

If you loaded cattle with your Dad, you're not a snowflake.

I loaded cattle with both my Dad and Grandpa. Its going to take more than you can dish out to hurt my feelings. 

When I got more experience as a teenager I got to the point where I would not let my dad or brother help work cattle. After a while my father saw how easy (compared to his way) I got them to move with a calm attitude and appreciated it and then he didn’t want to help because he knew he’d get in the way. I still do fly off the handle once in a while but it’s kinda last resort after hours of the calmness. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the best things that happened when I became an adult was being able to tell dad when he got a little too wound up "We will get this done, but we arent gonna get all excited." That was usually all it took for him to take a step back and a deep breath and calm down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We must have had similar Dads..... I remember him working on the carb in our 73 Grand Torino station wagon. ( With the fake wood sides and a 429!) I'm leaning in there watching closely, he stops doing anything..... I wait..... nothing. Why aren't you doing anything to it? I ask. BECAUSE YOU ARE IN MY WAY, NOW BACK UP AND LET ME WORK!!!!!!!!!!! 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Similar but still related. 

Dad: "Can you see what I'm working on?" 

Kid: "Yep"

Dad: "Well I can't, so get outta my way."

Heard both.  Also "here hold this 'large heavy object over your head' I need to go get something.

I'm pretty sure that I held stuff until muscle failure several times.  When I finally started lifting weights for sports in high school, I laughed at the coaches that tried to get me to do 1 more rep.  No where near as convincing as a dad.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to get the, "Hold the light so I can see. You don't need to see anything." 

 

My old man usually never gave you a please. It was a I want this done, and you are going to do it. You knew there was no other option. He was never mean, and he was slow to temper, but was stern and did not cut much for slack if you didn't have any excuse like your arms fell off. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 1256pickett said:

When I got more experience as a teenager I got to the point where I would not let my dad or brother help work cattle. After a while my father saw how easy (compared to his way) I got them to move with a calm attitude and appreciated it and then he didn’t want to help because he knew he’d get in the way. I still do fly off the handle once in a while but it’s kinda last resort after hours of the calmness. 

That’s what I try to do too. Working cattle with someone can definitely be a real test of a relationship sometimes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like most of us all grew up the same way. Thought about this lots in the past few years. Seemed hard growing up but now that I’m older a look back on it I’m glad that’s the way it was. Face it, life can be rough, by the time I was 18 I could handle any of it. Think the opposite may contribute to all the 30 year olds living in their parents basement and being supported by them.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought I was the only jerk dad who yelled at my kids for holding the light wrong.  I've said some things I'm very ashamed of when I am on a mission.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, midnightman said:

Sounds like most of us all grew up the same way. Thought about this lots in the past few years. Seemed hard growing up but now that I’m older a look back on it I’m glad that’s the way it was. Face it, life can be rough, by the time I was 18 I could handle any of it. Think the opposite may contribute to all the 30 year olds living in their parents basement and being supported by them.

I like your post, I was 16 to your 18, I don't know your age but for me it was '64, my old man showed me a pretty good ethic, my mother pointed me to the 50/50 marriage partnership, and mom and I  showed our two kids the same route, and now at 75 I have a brand new grandson to start on the same road, your right about not being easy, but who the helll needs easy, I've always felt life can be a biitch but if you don't sweat the small stuff its all gonna work out, and its all small stuff.

Workin' with the old man, I could tell you stories......................!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Parents always treated me like a little genius because very early on I became the fix-it kid. My Dad always took me along on a trip because I came with tools and knowledge. They made me that way, by encouragement and support. I am  the number 2 kid in a family of 8 kids. I was involved in Technical training for many years. One day I made a head-count of all my past students and got to at least 2,000 people.  I learned how to motivate from my Parents not some fancy school.

I WAS A LUCKY KID!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

my dad was the dad is the day who is volitile and quick to explode when things happen like working on vehicles, slipped wrench meant using it as a hammer - screaming expletives, breaking things because of his temper and hammering, i quickly learned i was never good enough, and he was dangerous to work around. I did things alone most the time and sent him on errands or tasks so we didnt have to clash or he didnt create more to fix. I never let him touch any of my vehicles they were junk but they were all I had and I had to keep them running.  I have tried not to be that dad for my kids. It was a scary way to grow up and demoralizing because I was always a failure. Thank God for opportunity to be better and learn who my real Dad is. 

 

 

had the same experiance growing up. except when turning wrenches on stuffit was a older brother. u should see what he can do to steel hyd. lines or inj. lines when they dont thread on right away. my dad thought if working cows they should always be running. lots of screaming throwing dirt clouds and cracking whips

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You think you can hurt my feelings????     I manned the sort gate while dad worked cattle... 

 

One of the funniest things I ever heard and I can remember to this day when I was about 12 working cattle at my best friend's farm.   My buddy was calling steers heifers and vice versa and his dad had enough of us boys...    "Daggonit (kid name here) if you don't learn the difference between a steer and a heifer I'm gonna stick your face in a kitty and show you the difference." 

 

That's not all the language he used but being as this is a family forum, and he was and is a family man, but he had enough that day!! :)

 

I'll never forget that as it shocked me and was literally the funniest thing I had ever heard in my whole life at the tender age of 12 LOL 

 

 

  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

my dad was the dad is the day who is volitile and quick to explode when things happen like working on vehicles, slipped wrench meant using it as a hammer - screaming expletives, breaking things because of his temper and hammering, i quickly learned i was never good enough, and he was dangerous to work around. I did things alone most the time and sent him on errands or tasks so we didnt have to clash or he didnt create more to fix. I never let him touch any of my vehicles they were junk but they were all I had and I had to keep them running.  I have tried not to be that dad for my kids. It was a scary way to grow up and demoralizing because I was always a failure. Thank God for opportunity to be better and learn who my real Dad is. 

 

 

I heard that an apprentice to a short fused dozer operator around here described his job as "The bloke who retrieves the thrown spanners"

I've tried to educate our boys that when you are getting to that stage it is time to go and have a pee

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

WOW! I've been working with a son in law who flies off the handle and starts screaming if something isn't going right. He's getting better.

 

Rick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...