Jump to content

This is the Anniversary of my 74 100. Im with my salesman and dad. He is now 98 yrs old . my first new pickup.


mr. IH
 Share

Recommended Posts

Congratulations to both of you!!

That is a nice truck!! Very well kept 

I like those 401s they sure could make a AMX move I am sure it does a good job in your truck 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

x2.  Congrats to you both. Very, very nice truck!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

Congratulations to both of you!!

That is a nice truck!! Very well kept 

I like those 401s they sure could make a AMX move I am sure it does a good job in your truck 

This  401 is very strong. There was no other pickup could out run !! Has 63000 miles and still running strong. It was a 120 mph truck. surprised alot of 454 s and  460 s.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, acem said:

Very nice truck. Thanks for posting the pics.

Are the wheels original?

Thx-Ace 

The wheels are off of a scout Aristocrat. Most accessories' I had to instal. back then factory didnt instal. We had to order out of parts room .  Bumber gaurd,front lites,rails back bumber,slider rear glass where some of them. Only IH fans notice !!!  thanks again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've never heard of a scout ambassador.

Sliding rear glass was optional on loadstars but I've never seen one except in the parts book and sales literature...

Thx-Ace 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always liked the Rambler/American Motors engines, good engineering and reliable in a car BUT I never understood why IHC would replace a truck motor in a pickup with the car motor, and market it as an extra cost option!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2022 at 3:47 PM, oleman said:

I always liked the Rambler/American Motors engines, good engineering and reliable in a car BUT I never understood why IHC would replace a truck motor in a pickup with the car motor, and market it as an extra cost option!

What really is a truck engine? 

I would think it is one that is used in a truck as a 401, 360 and 304 AMC v8s have been in Jeep pick ups since the 60's 

And Chevy, Ford and Dodge have used their "car" motors in trucks with great success 

While I happen to like IH SV motors, performance wise I will take the Nash Trash 

I think IH had capacity problems so they sourced from their current supplier of inline sixes  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My real issue is that I had been an IH fan since the 50's.The V266/304/345 were specifically built for a medium duty truck line and back loaded into their pickup line basically because they were a truck company so they built truck engines. 

It was one of the last nails in the coffin of the light duty International vehicles because they alienated people who knew why people purchased  IHC light duties in the first place. Was the first step in the "gone out of business path" for the entire IHC operation.   They were not capacity limited. they were buyer limited because of their inability to recognize their place in the market  and no concept of protecting the market share they  did have.  Their sales had already tanked prior to them outsourcing their engine line!

This is not 2020 hindsight, I was there and saw it all going down as it happened. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/5/2022 at 10:40 PM, acem said:

I've never heard of a scout ambassador.

Sliding rear glass was optional on loadstars but I've never seen one except in the parts book and sales literature...

Thx-Ace 

That was a Scout Aristocrat. It was a "dolled up scout 800"  I also have a IH 200 4x4 with the sliding rear window.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, oleman said:

My real issue is that I had been an IH fan since the 50's.The V266/304/345 were specifically built for a medium duty truck line and back loaded into their pickup line basically because they were a truck company so they built truck engines. 

It was one of the last nails in the coffin of the light duty International vehicles because they alienated people who knew why people purchased  IHC light duties in the first place. Was the first step in the "gone out of business path" for the entire IHC operation.   They were not capacity limited. they were buyer limited because of their inability to recognize their place in the market  and no concept of protecting the market share they  did have.  Their sales had already tanked prior to them outsourcing their engine line!

This is not 2020 hindsight, I was there and saw it all going down as it happened. 

 

 

IH was using most of there big injines (392) in the Loadstars. They where already using the AMC 6 cly. ( 232 ,258 ) thats why they added the 401,in 100 (1/2 tons only) and only for 1 year. They only made around 1500 units. Started in 73 1/2 and went to 74 1/2. ( The 73 1/2 had torsion bar suspension )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2022 at 6:48 AM, jeeper61 said:

What really is a truck engine? 

That,s a good Q. My understanding is short stroke for trucks =lugging power and long stroke for hot rods.

What do you all think?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, just Dave said:

That,s a good Q. My understanding is short stroke for trucks =lugging power and long stroke for hot rods.

What do you all think?

Wouldn't it be the other way around?

Long stroke = more torque = more lugging power  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...