Ford super duty questions

vtfireman85

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Perhaps, but considering the relatively low average speed i have and considering that every where i go east or west I have to go over a mountain, i can take advantage of the low end more than the top

thats a lotta rpms for the sweet spot but its built ford tough so it should be fine - that is also the thirsty zone, FYI - you will not get to choose your gear the computer will do that for you doing load sensing unless you do it manually so no lugging allowed w/out rpms per the design is what i have see and watched in reviews - im getting old and get tired of listening to RPMs unless ata tractor pull LOL when driving i like quiet and its amazing how things and pull quietly now days 

enjoyed listening to the windsor, enjoyed listening to my 6.0 whistle wagon, dont like it like i used to 

image.thumb.png.ecbb0fbf0453cda7ccef165928ed49ce.png

15 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

thats a lotta rpms for the sweet spot but its built ford tough so it should be fine - that is also the thirsty zone, FYI - you will not get to choose your gear the computer will do that for you doing load sensing unless you do it manually so no lugging allowed w/out rpms per the design is what i have see and watched in reviews - im getting old and get tired of listening to RPMs unless ata tractor pull LOL when driving i like quiet and its amazing how things and pull quietly now days 

enjoyed listening to the windsor, enjoyed listening to my 6.0 whistle wagon, dont like it like i used to 

One of the biggest differences that I notice between the 17 6.2 I had and the 22 7.3 is that it doesn't have to scream. It also doesn't seem to have the tendency to downshift as quick, so it will lug. It does much better in the snow in 2wd because it doesn't usually shift down in the middle of a hill and break traction. 

• Like 2

i know it sounds old school but our old 460 w/c6 rarely downshifted it would lug till the cows came home - i know age/technology are way different but these newer vehicles like to shift more in my experience no matter waht it is, i liked the days of being able to lug things and not listen to the sounds of fuel being sucked out of the gas tank with high rpms and my foot stuffed thru the firewall 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

That is an impressive torque straight line... I mean curve.  Between 400 and 450 ft*lbs for a 3500 rpm range.  Thumbs up Ford.

vtfireman85:  Something that I noticed on your build is that you specified the 10000/9900 lb GVWR package.  Did you do this on purpose as a paper derate on a F350?  Otherwise, I’d suggest deleting that package as it will lower the pay weight on your truck.  Much discussion of this on the Ford truck forums.  Just a thought based on my own experience.

1 hour ago, Mudfly said:

That is an impressive torque straight line... I mean curve.  Between 400 and 450 ft*lbs for a 3500 rpm range.  Thumbs up Ford.

yes very torquey out the gate it shows 

1 hour ago, MirageFlatter said:

vtfireman85:  Something that I noticed on your build is that you specified the 10000/9900 lb GVWR package.  Did you do this on purpose as a paper derate on a F350?  Otherwise, I’d suggest deleting that package as it will lower the pay weight on your truck.  Much discussion of this on the Ford truck forums.  Just a thought based on my own experience.

Likely an error on my part, wouldn’t intentionally decrease GVWR