Ford super duty questions

vtfireman85

personally i would wait till these chips start coming in, there are lots and lots of trucks sitting full of 20s n 21s waiting on chips - they are going ot have to dump them at some point and when they do this car market is going to chg drastically but only questions is can you wait? we have a new lot of them here in lees summit that used to be an auction facility that relocated and its totally full, my buddy works off duty protecting these vehicles from vandalism and theft - go figure - 

18 hours ago, jass1660 said:

If you’re worried about the fuel economy you’re not buying the truck for work then…

Not considering fuel economy this day in age is short sighted...

17 minutes ago, ZG6E said:

Not considering fuel economy this day in age is short sighted...

Its not a matter of considering fuel economy, its a matter of getting what i need and gets the job done. If the truck is underpowered , under geared, or undersized i will still be getting poor economy and making repairs to boot. 

• Like 1

My 2 thoughts.... By the sound of your utilization of this truck, I would pencil out a diesel to see just how much more it would cost. That 7.3 is supposed to be impressive, but it still doesn't hold a candle to an oil burner.

Second is the safety/convenience features. Sure you don't need them, but they sure can make your windshield time more pleasant. Take adaptive cruise control... we all have been stuck behind that car who can't decide how fast they want to go.... pretty nice not having to turn cruise off to slow down. B/U camera.. hook up the trailer in 1rst shot every time.

What I see is.. you add up the extra costs on the vehicle to have this stuff, but put it on the payment, it's probably only an extra $30-50 a month. & If you, for some reason, decide to trade the truck in 5 yrs, it would be worth that much more, because today's luxury items are tomorrow's base features. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cattech said:

My 2 thoughts.... By the sound of your utilization of this truck, I would pencil out a diesel to see just how much more it would cost. That 7.3 is supposed to be impressive, but it still doesn't hold a candle to an oil burner.

Second is the safety/convenience features. Sure you don't need them, but they sure can make your windshield time more pleasant. Take adaptive cruise control... we all have been stuck behind that car who can't decide how fast they want to go.... pretty nice not having to turn cruise off to slow down. B/U camera.. hook up the trailer in 1rst shot every time.

What I see is.. you add up the extra costs on the vehicle to have this stuff, but put it on the payment, it's probably only an extra $30-50 a month. & If you, for some reason, decide to trade the truck in 5 yrs, it would be worth that much more, because today's luxury items are tomorrow's base features. 

Fair point on the features, though I really don't see it, I really really hate them. Honestly except for no  AC I think my 95 is optioned out perfectly,

seat, steering wheel, wipers, radio… what more could i ask for? 

as far as a deeezel thats a hard no. I hate them, with a burning passion. Figures out to be about 13k more than a 6.2 gas and the 7.3 is 1700. Considering our 10 year old vehicles have around 150k when they get sent along that 11+k buys a lot of gasoline when you figure the cost of maintenance difference, fuel economy difference, and fuel cost difference. That assumes none of the diesel chronic horror stories every diesel owner seems to have. Nope, not interested in joining the diesel cult. 

Also of my roughly 15k a year miles maybe 10% of them are highway above 60mph IF I go on vacation, less if I don’t. 

You hate diesels because you had a 6.5L! lol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Injpumped said:

You hate diesels because you had a 6.5L! lol!

No i hate diesels because they are expensive and problematic, if i could buy a 5.9 in a new truck, I would do it, otherwise they are permanently written off my dance card.

everyone I know with a diesel has a laundry list of things you can do to them to make them useable. The only thing i want to have to do to a truck to make it usable is turn the key. 

I completely get hating the diesels, but they really aren't that bad. We have 12 F550 service trucks based at my store, they accumulate 1/4 million+ miles a yr between them. I can count on one hand the number of times we have a truck down a yr.... but... we leave the things stock, maintain the emissions equipment & fuel system per the owners manual, and don't try to stop light race with 30k lbs behind them.

• Like 1

.....north  of 400,000  K's on my old  four and a half litre , 3500kg     Toyota   truck......Starter motor  replaced, and one manifold stud  (!!)  ....couple of lots of ( external ) fan/wp  belts.....Thats it for that time and distance....

No.....it is certainly not a 7.3 Diesel...sadly....but in New Zealand, American trucks are few and far between....although, both Dodge  and Ford are available...3/4 ton models running at around $170K,for Diesel options....although a new ""Climate Change "' tax has been  imposed yesterday...4-4-22...to further discourage buying any new Ute/ Pickup trucks.....

...just need to fit that extendable tow bar on the back of the Nissan Leaf...roll up the chargeing plug and off to work.....

Mike

5 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

as far as a deeezel thats a hard no.

I have a friend that runs an excavation business he has swore off them too in a light truck

He had a GM 6.5 a 5.9 that ate the pump and injectors at 100k and a first year 6.0 Ford

All gas now 

1 minute ago, jeeper61 said:

I have a friend that runs an excavation business he has swore off them too in a light truck

He had a GM 6.5 a 5.9 that ate the pump and injectors at 100k and a first year 6.0 Ford

All gas now 

It doesn’t matter what stripes, everyone has a horror story, I just don’t have the desire or energy 

Biggest turnoff I see to light duty diesels is catastrophic fuel system failure, or a base engine failure that takes out the after treatment with oil contamination.  I've seen so many heartbreaking cases if "all the above" fuel system replacements from fuel contamination or high pressure pump failure.  With parts and labor your instantly above 10 grand in repairs.  

Also pray your turbo never let's loose or you have an EGR cooler or other engine failure put contaminants into the after treatment.  DPF'S and SCR catalysts aren't cheap.  

6,500$ can buy you a brand new gasser 7.3 crate engine from Ford.  You gotta pay to play with diesels.  

Even the older engines are stupid expensive.  Set of OEM quality reman injectors for a 6.0 are over 2 grand alone before over a says worth of labor to put them in...  Good OEM bosch injectors for a duramax are almost $400 a pop.  

• Like 1

For what it’s worth around here my 4:30 geared 6.2 F350 DRW will get better fuel mileage than a couple of buddies of mine with 3:73 geared 250’s. Most of the time I shift mine in manual mode. It keeps the engine from lugging. I get about 11 around town. 14 to 15 on a trip and usually around eight or nine towing my loaded gooseneck at about 16,000. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DC Snider said:

For what it’s worth around here my 4:30 geared 6.2 F350 DRW will get better fuel mileage than a couple of buddies of mine with 3:73 geared 250’s. Most of the time I shift mine in manual mode. It keeps the engine from lugging. I get about 11 around town. 14 to 15 on a trip and usually around eight or nine towing my loaded gooseneck at about 16,000. 

My friend has one like that. He went from a diesel and is disappointed, i like it. Gets the job done. Still think I want  the big block, but thats a stout setup 

• Like 1

All this talk about new trucks sent me first to the Chevy and then the GMC site to do some builds and pricing. After playing around with several different configurations, I agree with Searcyfarms, I think I would wait until the chip shortage is over and things are back on track. On all different builds I did from heavy half to 3/4 ton diesel there were messages popping up about this option not available, buyer credit because this item is not available, this item to be retrofitted by dealer when available. Why buy a new vehicle without all the options you want/need. When I bought my '15 Silverado, I figured it to be a ten year vehicle, but if I look back at my buying history I get the bug around seven years and I am right on track! However, I do think that I will be waiting till at least 2024 or 2025 before I get serious. Unless all of these incomplete trucks flood the market and the prices drop, then I would have to check it out.

Looking at a 2500 LTZ Silverado or Sierra SLT, when I build up a diesel, I am in the upper 70's to almost 80k for a truck and that is insane, a gasser is in the upper 60's and a heavy half is not much less than that. The grumpy old guy in me is coming out.

We have a F450 4x4 dump at work. I haven't driven it much, but the crew seems to like it. Biggest issue with the 250, 350 and 450 Fords is that they sit so high, you really need steps or running boards to get in and out. We have four of those models and had to add steps to all of them.

Good discussion on this thread!

30 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

My friend has one like that. He went from a diesel and is disappointed, i like it. Gets the job done. Still think I want  the big block, but thats a stout setup 

A 6.2 with 4.30 rear and plenty of gears would be a towing machine!!  I think I'd rather have my setup for light towing and highway cruisin, though.  Just depends on what you want to use it for.  But I think the 6.2 is a dependable, often overlooked workhorse.

But get the 7.3, if that suits your needs better.  

• Like 1

We went from a ‘98.5 Dodge 24 valve Cummins w/ 4.10 gears to a ‘22 Super Duty 7.3 gasser with 4.30 gears.  The 7.3 gasser has twice the HP and a little more torque than the old school diesel, and it pulls anything the diesel did, and just as well.  Trailers include a 24 ft gooseneck stock trailer, a 24 ft gooseneck flatbed, and a four horse living quarters horse trailer.  Very similar mileage towing, and road diesel fuel here is currently $1.00/gallon more than Super Unleaded gas w/ 10-15 % ethanol.  It wasn’t a hard decision for me to make as the new truck doesn’t live with a trailer behind it like the old one did.  But I certainly don’t want less power than we have when we are towing.  The price difference between the 7.3 gas and the 6.7 PSD was $8405.00 when I ordered our new truck in April of last year, and I believe the price of the 7.3 has come down a little recently.  There’s lots of good information on Super Duty trucks on the Blue Oval and Ford Truck Enthusiast internet forums.  Good luck with your decision and new truck shopping.  Oh yeah, our new truck is a XLT Premium, and we couldn’t be happier with it.

• Thanks 1

you wont need 4.3 with 10 gears - you arent pulling semi weight loads 

ive only had 5 or 6 in all my trucks f250/f350 and they pulled way faster than a fella needs to go with any weight behind them - grossing 31+ and able to run whatever speed you want is plenty of power and these were less powered trucks and you are looking at - currently in a 6.7 p/s and its stupid powerful comparitively,  so no matter what weight is behind it with 3.73 anad only a 6 speed - 

my 6.0 p/s stock was adequate with the new ficm tune, open exhaust and intake i never needed more power and it was 3.73 w/5spd 

my 5.7 windsor h.o. with C6 adn 3.73 needed help on some hills but I got by with it 

4 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

my 5.7 windsor h.o. with C6 adn 3.73 needed help on some hills but I got by with it 

351 Windsor were a pig, only thing piggier was the 5.4 triton. 

You built a nice truck.  I was pricing something similar a couple weeks ago myself.  The main differences in mine were a Super Cab, short bed, and the STX package.  Presently, I'm leaning towards an F150 STX with the 2.7 Ecoboost.  The pricing is surprisingly close.  I have priced across the Big Three and am astonished at how well Ford lets me equip a truck for our needs...and for less money.

I was a huge fan of diesels up to roughly the Tier 4 emissions era.  While the power and torque of newer diesels these days is fantastic, but the economy just isn't there.  Gotta burn more fuel to save the planet and I simply don't understand that mentality.  The last diesel truck we bought was a '17 Ram 2500.  I'm quite frankly disappointed in the way it drives compared to my older Rams.  If I'm buying a new truck for my personal needs or for our business, it would be gas.  If I want a diesel, I'll wait to find a clean, low mileage, pre-Tier 4 model and pay close to new price.

34 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

you wont need 4.3 with 10 gears - you arent pulling semi weight loads 

You just disappointed EVERY high-school Harry, and wanna-bee 'truck driver' that posts on websites like the dieselstop.com.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

You just disappointed EVERY high-school Harry, and wanna-bee 'truck driver' that posts on websites like the dieselstop.com.

Perhaps, but considering the relatively low average speed i have and considering that every where i go east or west I have to go over a mountain, i can take advantage of the low end more than the top