Ford super duty questions

vtfireman85

I am considering ordering a new truck, with the issues I've been having with my utility truck, and the age of my pickup its time to consolidate and i need a bigger cab. Presumably the cost of 2023 trucks will go up significantly, and i have spoken to my chosen dealer, she said 8 weeks to 8 months. 
couple questions, are these still a solid front axle? If so do they still come with manual locking hubs? Is automatic hubs an option? Are they reliable? 

with the selectable locker does that mean it doesn’t lock automatically? So theoretically rear tire wear should be improved? 

i cant seem to add camper/snowplow package and snowplow prep package together and i can’t have the heavy front suspension with the snowplow prep… any theories? 

i wish to avoid as many safety features as possible 1, i don’t like them, 2, i want to reduce compatibility issues with a utility body. By choosing the xl i get a bare bones truck, does upgrading to the appearance package with aluminum wheels force the sensors on me? Should I stick with steel and painted bumpers? 
chrome bumpers hold up so much better in out climate. Seems a shame to have an aluminum truck with crusty old bumpers after the first year. 

ill be going vinyl seats/rubber floors, flip down console. Do the rear seats fold up individually? In other words could i fold the drivers and passengers side rears up for tool storage  while leaving  the center down with car seat base installed?

they look like it, but i cant tell.  

I probably won’t go for a test drive as i am ordering, and I don’t want to go pester the dealer, because I don’t want to be pestered. So i am bugging you folks. 

this is my preliminary build. 

https://shop.ford.com/build/superduty/?intcmp=hp-rvv-bpbuild-superduty#/config/Config[|Ford|SuperDuty|2022|1|1.|610A.W3B.176.PPQ...CBC.68D.XLL.17S.17X.90L.18B.CRW.SRW.4X4.99N.350.X4M.]

Unless things have changed in the last couple years

it would be a solid front axle

Automatic vacuum locking hubs and manual hub lock for backup. 
  Rear seats are 60/40 split. You can raise either or both sides. I need to go look but I think the 60 is on driver side. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

i cant seem to add camper/snowplow package and snowplow prep package together and i can’t have the heavy front suspension with the snowplow prep… any theories? 

Don’t quote me on this but I believe the snowplow prep package is the heavy front suspension plus the bigger alternator, so it’s redundant. The camper/snowplow package is the camper package plus snowplow package again redundant. Get the snowplow/camper package and you should have all of it in one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What they just said there is correct.  We have a 19. Same as a 22-23. Same as the 5 we had before it too, just with an aluminum body.  I’ve never had a xl, but I suspect wheel pressure sensors are standard even on base models.  In 19 you could get a 350 with a floor lever to engage the transfer case, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you can’t anymore. The hubs have “auto” and “lock” as an option.  The rear locker has an auto and lock setting too,but I don’t know how it works inside because even when locked, it does not lock solid like an old posi. But it works,somewhat. Our 16 had it, 19 does not. Axles look identical otherwise 

4 hours ago, stronger800 said:

Both of my local dealers had told me they stopped ordering 22’s months ago.  

Window for 22 was very short.  They are retooling the plant for 2023 I was told.  
Seth-  get a XL with STX package which is chrome grille and bUmpers and aluminum alloy wheels.  It might include a few more things I don’t remember.   My truck has vinyl floors.  My dealer was very good at helping me sort through the options to get what I wanted as well as the best value.  Mine has lock in lock out hubs and vacuum so you don’t actually have to turn the hubs.  Seems to work fine.  What sensors are you referring to?  My truck has TPMS and that is it.   You also don’t have to go through the ridiculous calibrations process to rotate your tires like a Chevy.  I’m almost 100 percent sure back seat is 60-40.  If your planning on a utility body I would definitely talk with those guys to make sure you get what they need.  I will try to look through your build later.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Paystar5000 said:

Window for 22 was very short.  They are retooling the plant for 2023 I was told.  
Seth-  get a XL with STX package which is chrome grille and bUmpers and aluminum alloy wheels.  It might include a few more things I don’t remember.   My truck has vinyl floors.  My dealer was very good at helping me sort through the options to get what I wanted as well as the best value.  Mine has lock in lock out hubs and vacuum so you don’t actually have to turn the hubs.  Seems to work fine.  What sensors are you referring to?  My truck has TPMS and that is it.   You also don’t have to go through the ridiculous calibrations process to rotate your tires like a Chevy.  I’m almost 100 percent sure back seat is 60-40.  If your planning on a utility body I would definitely talk with those guys to make sure you get what they need.  I will try to look through your build later.

Sensors in question are the backup/lane change proximity stuff, talked with a guy who had a lariat or similar said it was a real pain putting on utility body. Sensors in the bumper, sensors in the tail lights etc. I don’t need or want trailer backup assistance, I am quite capable . 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Sensors in question are the backup/lane change proximity stuff, talked with a guy who had a lariat or similar said it was a real pain putting on utility body. Sensors in the bumper, sensors in the tail lights etc. I don’t need or want trailer backup assistance, I am quite capable . 

Mine has none of that.  I’m not sure what level you have to be to get into that stuff.  I wanted vinyl floors so I never looked at anything past those.  Mine has a backup camera.  I know a guy with a F350 that had a power tailgate installed on his when it was new and it didn’t sound like the camera was a big deal.  His was an XLT.  IMHO if you need trailer backup assistance I would question if there should be a trailer behind you.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The company I work for ordered a 2020 F350 SuperCab Lariat as a chassis cab. All the needed wiring was provided to make the backup sensors, backup camera, etc work. Getting the custom flatbed took longer than it did to get the truck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Im just being nosey but can't see your build on the link.  Is this a gas 7.3 auto?  Pardon my ford inexperience...

• Like 1

I have a ‘18 F350 DRW gasser. I ordered mine in February of 18 about 8 weeks later. Mines an XLT, with the chrome package. Cloth seats, vinyl floor and minimal creature comforts really. I ordered mine with snowplow and camper package, which gives you the heavy front axle. Mine also has a factory gooseneck. 4:30 gears and an electronic limited slip rear, as the locker isn’t an option on the dually. Manual hubs can be left turned to auto or locked manually. Rear seat is a 60/40 deal but folds and locks up. The optional under seat storage compartment in mine can be folded flat to the floor. I had a fit with my tire pressure sensor valve stems leaking due to corrosion, but after several attempts they finally got an upgraded set that didn’t leak and haven’t for over three years. Mine has camera system and blind spot radar. The cameras are handy, the blind spot radar was a waste of $500 and is useless when towing my gooseneck or any other trailer. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

My 2020 is xl with the stx package for chrome bumpers and aluminum wheels same as what you are looking at. The stx did add the backup camera in the tailgate but I think it’s just camera no other sensors. It does help some with hooking up bumper pull trailer but I hate it being in the tailgate.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

Im just being nosey but can't see your build on the link.  Is this a gas 7.3 auto?  Pardon my ford inexperience...

Yes 7.3 gas with 10 speed auto and 4.30 gears. My Ford inexperience is great also. Ive spent years hating on them. But i cant ignore certain things like the biggest engine in the lineup, a 10 speed automatic, frames that actually hold paint. And the aluminum body

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

You plan on towing with that all the time?

My current truck rolls across the scales  around 8,000. Between utility body and tools I expect this one to be quite hefty, ultimately I intend to buy a V nose job trailer set up with a sort of mobile shop/storage. It is al lot to drag around (materials and tools that don't get used daily) but the convenience of having whatever i need when i am  1.5 hours from a supply house or the shop will be very helpful and ultimately work out to less time on the job and happier customers. No one likes to hear , “oh sorry, i need one thing, see you in 3 hours or maybe tomorrow”.

• Like 2

Just think about the gas mileage with the 4.30

If you are towing the dozer and backhoe around all the time then yes it is a must to have the 4.30

But if you are heavy trailer less then with the price of gas the higher gear might be a better choice.  

This guy has the higher gear does pretty well for that heavy load it is to bad they didn't have a 3.73 gear offering that would be a good compromise 

5 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Just think about the gas mileage with the 4.30

If you are towing the dozer and backhoe around all the time then yes it is a must to have the 4.30

But if you are heavy trailer less then with the price of gas the higher gear might be a better choice.  

This guy has the higher gear does pretty well for that heavy load it is to bad they didn't have a 3.73 gear offering that would be a good compromise 

They are claiming 15 mpg, with 3 overdrives i can’t imagine it is too horrible. 

5 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

They are claiming 15 mpg, with 3 overdrives i can’t imagine it is too horrible. 

I belong to a 7.3L Godzilla Facebook page, guys love to post pictures of their dash instruments showing the MPG.  15 mpg is a little optimistic.  One guy had 3.73 gears in his 7.3 and did get decent mpg towing.

My RAM 1500 has 8 speeds, 3 are O/D and even with 3.92 gears and 275/55-20 tires runs 2000 rpm at 80 mph. Those O/D gears REALLY help.  Back in the mid-1970's Ford tried to build a high MPG pickup, 300-6, 2.73 rear gears and a 4 speed manual with a 4th overdrive,  included a vacuum gauge to gage load if you were lugging the engine. I was pedaling packages for UPS, but I'd see him every once in a while. He pretty well loaded his truck up, and most days he'd run in 3rd gear and tolerate the miserable mpg.

You've still got your C-65 Chevy dump right? Any heavy towing you could do with that, and the F350 tow light stuff, and 3.73 gears.

When I hauled my new loader home, I think it was a little heavier than I figured, I thought it should weigh 1500#, think it was more like 1800.  I wanted to run in about 7th or 6th gear and 2000 rpm but it downshifting one more gear and ran 2500 and around 9 mpg.  I keep forgetting I have "Tow-Haul" but SON says it holds the Trans in lower gears longer and makes you run more rpm.  First time I towed anything was a 6 ft by 12 ft by 6 ft tall U-Haul tandem axle enclosed trailer. I HAD between 5000# to 6000# of SON'S shop tools, I ran up some pretty good hills 75 mph at 3500 rpm and it would drop 3 gears on the flat. Think I averaged 9 mpg. I used to get 13-14 mpg on local driving 5 miles to/from town.  Now I get 16 after that run.  The Owner's manual said to run that Hemi hard occasionally during break-in.

2 hours ago, jass1660 said:

If you’re worried about the fuel economy you’re not buying the truck for work then…

1 hour ago, mjcolemn said:

I struggled with the 3.73 vs 4.30. Ordered a 2022 with 7.3 and 4.30, I'd do it again. 75 mph only turning about 2000 RPM, on a trip it'll get 14.5 mpg. Towing 15k more like 8-10 mpg, but pulls fine.

Zactly how i figure it. I am not hung up on mileage, its a plus, but not the deciding factor. Its not like a 6.2 or 3.73 gears are going to get awesome mileage, not willing to sacrifice performance over a couple MPG that are a cost of operating anyway. 

2 hours ago, DR.EVIL said:

You've still got your C-65 Chevy dump right? Any heavy towing you could do with that, and the F350 tow light stuff, and 3.73 gears.

Nah, shes gone, I miss the 5+2 but like the new diesel, more reliable, tows better, all around a nicer truck. 

Had a steel body ‘15 6.2  350 with 3.73 and it was 14 mpg driven as a car and -10- if it even thought it seen a trailer trying to push it. But it was a good motor. I’ve considered getting another one to drive as a car, maybe it would see 15/16 mpg with an aluminum body, but I doubt it 

I drive a '20 F250 6.2 6 speed auto with 3.73 for work.  It gets 17 or 18 mpg, empty, if I drive easy.  Towing, it gets between 6 and 12 mpg, depending on the load.  Towing mpg probably averages 10.  I would think a similar truck, with a 7.3 gas, 4.10s, and 10 speed (did I hear that right?) would do a little poorer than mine empty but probably really similar numbers towing.  It just won't be working as hard as the 6.2.