IH Delves Into Cattle Feeding In Illinois, NW Iowa, and South Dakota.

I gotta say I didn't know there was such a thing as the first two cattle confinement operations.  Those looked like hog barns.  My cousins built a 800 head feedlot back in the 70s.  Almost lost the farm over it too.  

Spooked me when they started talking about entering the pit.......

That "reporter" is in a lot of IH public interest pieces that Farmington Implement has published. 

Interesting video. I've not seen many cattle housed completely inside.

I'd be interested to see how these operations fared over the years.

Thx-Ace 

6 minutes ago, acem said:

Interesting video. I've not seen many cattle housed completely inside.

I'd be interested to see how these operations fared over the years.

Thx-Ace 

Was one outfit that fed cattle on slats in our neighborhood. Seemed to fair ok.

1 hour ago, Art From Coleman said:

Someone responded in the comments on there that the Willrett farm is still around & has either 4000 or 5000 head. That's a lot of slurry!

Mike

The reporter was Bill Mason he was on WGN radio in the Ag department with Orion Samuelsen. The Willrett farm is still going, that guys grandson is good friends with my son even though they are all green now...lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

Spooked me when they started talking about entering the pit.......

That "reporter" is in a lot of IH public interest pieces that Farmington Implement has published. 

I do wonder if these videos that are posted to YouTube are pirated off Farmington Imp videos. 

33 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

I do wonder if these videos that are posted to YouTube are pirated off Farmington Imp videos. 

I would doubt it. J&L have been doing their own thing with the raw movies/videos for a while. It's not like the material isn't out there. I just happened upon some 25 or 30 Fairchild tapes with IH stuff on them that I will be converting in all their redscale glory & posting on my channel. Which brings up a question, aren't the vid's from Farmington Imp. cleaned up for sound & color? The ones from J&L are not.

Mike

13 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

I would doubt it. J&L have been doing their own thing with the raw movies/videos for a while. It's not like the material isn't out there. I just happened upon some 25 or 30 Fairchild tapes with IH stuff on them that I will be converting in all their redscale glory & posting on my channel. Which brings up a question, aren't the vid's from Farmington Imp. cleaned up for sound & color? The ones from J&L are not.

Mike

Yes they would be. The guys that restore those films go through and clean the film then adjust sound and color with computers.

Farmington Implement has not cleaned this one up yet.....Maybe it's on their list for the future.

On 4/1/2022 at 10:36 AM, acem said:

I expect the copyrights are expired. If they are still copyrighted, Navistar would be the owner, uh Volkswagen now.

That would depend upon just what year the film was made.   Pre-1978, a copyright was for 25 years, but was eligible for a 70 year extension if it was applied for which would have to be researched.   

After 1-1-78, a copyright on a commercial work is 95 years so not expired yet.