Krause 22 ft disc

33 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I know this has come up before, but a disk won’t move enough dirt to level out a field at 2.5mph. 

Depending on what soil, and Depending how thick the weeds are... for a 22ft disc. You'd go into the ground good.. I'd go 2.5-3 mph on the first wave before going 5mph. Not trying to break the implements. 

Not trying to be rude but if a disk won't hold up to 5mph then it's already junk to start with. We have some very stoney fields and we were able to run 4mph without issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ihcubguy said:

Not trying to be rude but if a disk won't hold up to 5mph then it's already junk to start with. We have some very stoney fields and we were able to run 4mph without issue.

He had this disc for 6yrs. I don't know how bad these disc get damaged from cornstalks.... The disc is from sw of Owatonna. Knowing how hard the soil is there. Literally it's hard clay there. I can see the disc blades breaking. Rocks too. I'm sure 5mph on my sandy type soil is no problem... 

10 hours ago, bitty said:

Pretty sure the $1300 disk was a JD plowing disk

This is the one I was looking at. Doesn't look like a Deere to me. I think that's red paint, not rust. The overhead pipe lift says "Oliver/White" but the 5-lug hubs make me think Bush Hog, but I couldn't find any Bush Hog discs that looked like this. Definitely a beefy boy, that's for sure. 

624.thumb.jpg.013d6c7dbc9995ca8d7ec34cc5422fe6.jpg

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

This is the one I was looking at. Doesn't look like a Deere to me. I think that's red paint, not rust. The overhead pipe lift says "Oliver/White" but the 5-lug hubs make me think Bush Hog, but I couldn't find any Bush Hog discs that looked like this. Definitely a beefy boy, that's for sure. 

624.thumb.jpg.013d6c7dbc9995ca8d7ec34cc5422fe6.jpg

I didn't see that one sell, the JD was a different one and was not tandem gear or was just V shaped from above in stead of X shaped looking from the sky

IMO krause makes a nice disk. That one does not look to have the offset gangs like mine. I really like the way mine finishes. If setup properly it leaves a nice smooth finish. If the wings are not adjusted correctly for the depth it will ridge from the wings going too deep. Takes 5 minutes to adjust. I basically found my happy place and leave it. Also notice I have the little 3 bladed discs on the ends of my back gangs. Yours appears to be missing them. That's an important feature when finishing I think. If its leaving little ridges pick some up for it. 

20200715_134011.jpg

20200715_134052.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 8:02 PM, Solocam8925 said:

Talked to the owner. He was discing some combined cornstalks and the blades on the wings broke. He was going 6mph. Probably that's what caused the blades to break. I'm assuming the dirty clay hard or lots of rocks. I d go 2.5mph if it was something like that before I go 5mph...

Blades don't break from speed unless there's rocks involved or you have inferrior blades to begin with optimal speed it 5-6 MPH

2 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Blades don't break from speed unless there's rocks involved or you have inferrior blades to begin with optimal speed it 5-6 MPH

They tend to start breaking when they get thin and worn out too. I've rejected several discs this spring because of broken blades. When one or two are broken you know the rest aren't far behind.

The trick to get a disc to work properly is to have the angle of the gangs to match ground speed and depth. If the rear gang blades don’t reach as far as the front gangs throw the dirt, your either traveling too fast, or the gang angle too extreme.