oddball question.............maybe

sandhiller

If I can find a set or more, cheap enough I am thinking of buying something like this to cut and line the bottom of my cattle working alleyway. 

If a guy was to cut these and lay them out, about how far will they reach or another way, how long would they be laid out. 

These are Camoplast (if that makes any difference) off a Deere 9630 as an example. 

Any reason why it wouldn't work?

Maybe they wouldn't lay flat, I dunno, that is why I am asking you guys.

I have looked at the woven tire matts and they are pricey!

Anyways, thanks guys!

camoplasttracks-2_5b70a639afbb491184942ca292a505e1.jpg

I never thought of that. I have only seen ones off a Cat, they had drive teeth/cogs that where good size on the inside. If they had cable in those like the main belt, a real chore to cut them off. Even just rubber would a lot of time. Or make a trench to drop that part in.

• Thanks 1

The tracks might get slippery when they are wet. Quite a few dairy farms around here put in rubber mats in their holding pens years ago because it was supposed to be the next best thing and improve hoof health. To my knowledge they all ripped them out shortly after because they were losing cows due to them doing the splits on the slippery mats. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

The tracks might get slippery when they are wet. Quite a few dairy farms around here put in rubber mats in their holding pens years ago because it was supposed to be the next best thing and improve hoof health. To my knowledge they all ripped them out shortly after because they were losing cows due to them doing the splits on the slippery mats. 

Good info! 

This would be a bit different as they would be single file and supported on each side but could still slip a leg back when pushing as some of them do, Thanks Mike

6 minutes ago, ray54 said:

I never thought of that. I have only seen ones off a Cat, they had drive teeth/cogs that where good size on the inside. If they had cable in those like the main belt, a real chore to cut them off. Even just rubber would a lot of time. Or make a trench to drop that part in.

Never thought of that, know nothing about them thanks Ray!

If you put them treads up that might help because the cleats would be there for the cattle to step against. 

• Like 1

We have several old belts cut into 6' chunks that we use to protect the concrete when moving the big trash compactor machines around the shop and yard. They sit pretty flat after they have been stored laying flat for a while. They are extremely durable, but as mentioned, could be slippery if wet.

There's a company that has been buying used tractor and skid loader tracks to make into feed alley, manure, and snow pushers, so they might be harder to come by than you would guess.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

If you put them treads up that might help because the cleats would be there for the cattle to step against. 

Would have to be treads up it's going to be a rail for the sprockets on the other side. 

I would take them for free , way better than him having to pay per lb to dispose of them. I had a miniX and have used tracks laying on a pile somewhere 

• Like 2

Back when I saw the one the Cat dealer would just about pay you haul them off. A friend of a friend dumped one to see if he could use it for anything.  He had thought of using it on a tilt deck trailer he hauled crawlers on.  Getting to lay flat and just the thickness of them put him off and never even tried. 

My thought at first was that the treads would be good for cow traction. But if they are not warn enough they might not be so good. 

• Like 1

Thanks all, planning on tread up and yes they would have to be pretty worn. (and useless to reuse on a machine)

These tracks are 36" wide and without measuring alleyway, think that might be pretty close.

Just thinking might be better than digging down into the sand. 

I like the "just about pay me to haul them off" price😄

that set above is going for 50 bucks, I've never seen close auction on price so will watch them. 

Some of the stupid sheet I think of alone in the truck at night😂

• Haha 2

We have a tread from a front tire of a 4 wheel truck type floater or something at the back of our working alley, it's about 7-8 feet long and has a different type of tread, don't know how to really describe it but it lays flat and is heavy enough that it doesn't move but light enough that you  can drag it by hand and flip it over to clean it off and is probably 3 inches thick including the tread.  Those tracks would be very heavy in one piece and almost impossible to clean inside an alley unless you could wash them out with a 2 inch hose or something, since there is a rail on the bottom side and they won't sit flat on the concrete I would think rodents could be a problem also, just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bkorth said:

We have a tread from a front tire of a 4 wheel truck type floater or something at the back of our working alley, it's about 7-8 feet long and has a different type of tread, don't know how to really describe it but it lays flat and is heavy enough that it doesn't move but light enough that you  can drag it by hand and flip it over to clean it off and is probably 3 inches thick including the tread.  Those tracks would be very heavy in one piece and almost impossible to clean inside an alley unless you could wash them out with a 2 inch hose or something, since there is a rail on the bottom side and they won't sit flat on the concrete I would think rodents could be a problem also, just my 2 cents.

That sounds like a good idea in front of the chute. 

They always dig a hole when leaving. 

All on sand for now and trying to keep from pouring cement although the hyd chute will go on a cement pad some day. 

If you’d position them so the tread would shove their hoof into the middle, it may keep them from doing the splits? 
i think it’s a great idea. 
I bet we’ve all wasted more than $50 on our lives if it don’t work!

and if that’s the case, you could cut them up and sell them for fire starters for the yuppies in town!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, zleinenbach said:

If you’d position them so the tread would shove their hoof into the middle, it may keep them from doing the splits? 
i think it’s a great idea. 
I bet we’ve all wasted more than $50 on our lives if it don’t work!

and if that’s the case, you could cut them up and sell them for fire starters for the yuppies in town!!!

Bet it would cost him more than $50 in blades to cut them up into yuppie-sized pieces

• Haha 1

I like the idea. I’ve been thinking of cutting up some old pickup tires to put in the floor of my chute. Just gotta find the time! If they do slip You might try cutting some groves in them with whatever the tractor pullers use to cut their tires? I would think if you oriented the tread the right direction that wouldn’t be much of a problem though. Never know until you try. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

Bet it would cost him more than $50 in blades to cut them up into yuppie-sized pieces

That’s where marketing comes into play... “Really big fire starters!”

• Haha 3