Them junk 7.3 powerstrokes.

Man I thought I had some cahonies. Glad you made it ok. My disk I hauled home was like 14' the way the wings stuck out. wasnt any way to make it better short of removing the wings. that ride was nerve racking enough in town. 

10 hours ago, dale560 said:

Axle spacing on those trailers isn’t regulated. It is the same requirement as a semi bridge law. Not saying anything bad. You have stated before you drove  CDL and have a cdl license. This stuff is all covered in those manuals and test we take. . Big problem with gooseneck trailers was they were built to what they thought were good but not to specs. I think axle center to center has to be 43 inches to be be considered  separate axles. For years we hauled very illegally also , just know better now.

Thanks, I'll have to do some digging to see if I can find it, I truly don't know what the spacing should be to be "legal" at 21K. But the odds of me ever hauling that much are pretty slim. Mostly going to be small narrow front tractors to shows on it.

10 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

Thanks, I'll have to do some digging to see if I can find it, I truly don't know what the spacing should be to be "legal" at 21K. But the odds of me ever hauling that much are pretty slim. Mostly going to be small narrow front tractors to shows on it.

Dads buddy sold trailers and gooseneck stock trailers for years. The general rule of thumb on a gooeseneck is two axles are usually only spaced to get you one. Dual wheel trailers sometimes are close but even an inch or two short. It all depends on the law man and his interpretation. Dads buddy told us years ago livestock and gooseneck trailers never pass a full on weigh and inspect. 

21 hours ago, dale560 said:

Dads buddy sold trailers and gooseneck stock trailers for years. The general rule of thumb on a gooeseneck is two axles are usually only spaced to get you one. Dual wheel trailers sometimes are close but even an inch or two short. It all depends on the law man and his interpretation. Dads buddy told us years ago livestock and gooseneck trailers never pass a full on weigh and inspect. 

About impossible to find the info online. Have found a few things saying triple axle is 3 even spaced axles under 9' total. Also seen anything over 36" center to center is considered 1 axle. Got to love the government.....

1 hour ago, brahamfireman said:

About impossible to find the info online. Have found a few things saying triple axle is 3 even spaced axles under 9' total. Also seen anything over 36" center to center is considered 1 axle. Got to love the government.....

This is North Dakota info. Every state has their own but the axle spacing is somewhat uniform amongst states?

E9CA6122-5160-4AA9-A690-00E2FEEFE0B1.png

94A24A92-A9F5-4C14-8138-4F84A74A1D1C.png

On 3/27/2022 at 7:56 PM, Wes806 said:

Got a 99 f-350 with the 7.3 and auto trans.  Not sure of the mileage but its was pulled  hard and ran ran the daylights out of it.  Other then a oil leak on front of engine and blowing it all over front of engine it has done a good job for me and keeps on going.  Oops forgot to mention that when it rains it will shut off at a stop sign but always restart and go. After a year of trying to get them two fixed with no luck I'm about ready to say the heck with them and just keep running and no I wouldn't be afraid to take it on any long trips.

Rust preventative. And if it leaks fast enough you don't need to change the oil, just keep adding new!

7 hours ago, KWRB said:

Rust preventative. And if it leaks fast enough you don't need to change the oil, just keep adding new!

Very true and I go thru at least a gallon every three weeks. Just change filter and keep going right 😀

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

in my opinion the best diesel Ford ever made

Because international made it.

i maintain that most of the issues with modern diesels are A. Emissions, but B. Turning out too much HP. I feel the same way about 1/2 ton trucks with 13k tow ratings and glorified 1 ton trucks with 30+k tow ratings. Somethings got to give, you can’t cram that much into that small a package without issues, and across the board, people are having issues pushing these trucks to their rated limits.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

in my opinion the best diesel Ford ever made

It's amazing how the opinion of the 7.3L has changed over the last 25 years.  SON keeps saying he wants to modify my old 7.3 so it runs more like his chipped & deleted 6.7L CTD in his '14 RAM 2500.  He can improve it's towing ability but I doubt he will get the 500 HP the shop that deleted his RAM says he had.  I did read on-line that the late '94 to '97 7.3's could survive making up to 600 hp.  I think about half that would be enough for any towing an F250 or 350 should be doing.

It's crazy some of the things law enforcement officials do. I went thru a spell when I drove where I was getting dispatched on Sunday afternoons from Davenport, Iowa to be at grocery warehouses in Chicago by 7 AM Monday morning.  So one Monday morning I'm driving thru Colona & Green Rock I'll on I'll Rt 84 about 2.30 AM, I'd ran over to Davenport Sunday afternoon and brought the load closer to home. So, all of a sudden about 3 local squad cars surround me, force me onto the shoulder. Road I was on was a popular route to bypass a scale,  I showed them my scale weight ticket showing I was around 65,000#, about 8500# under the limit. The cops are pizzed. They check all my lights, everything's working. They drag out a 100 ft tape measure, Yep, He's GOTTA be over-length!  With a 45 ft trailer and a 144 inch wheelbase tractor on a 65 ft limit?  What are these guys smoking? They couldn't understand my log book or bills of lading or packing lists at all.

I think LEO'S have been tamed down some and only write tickets if an accident occurs.  Locally, I wish they would Crack down harder on these high school kids that steal cars and joy ride around town, typically they end with an injury accident, kids get a slap on the wrist and released and go right back to walking around looking for more cars to steal. The Judges say it's a "victimless crime", the car owner files a claim on their insurance, has to fight with them, fight with the body shop.  Sounds like the car owner gets the dirty end of the stick.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DR.EVIL said:

It's amazing how the opinion of the 7.3L has changed over the last 25 years.  SON keeps saying he wants to modify my old 7.3 so it runs more like his chipped & deleted 6.7L CTD in his '14 RAM 2500.  He can improve it's towing ability but I doubt he will get the 500 HP the shop that deleted his RAM says he had.  I did read on-line that the late '94 to '97 7.3's could survive making up to 600 hp.  I think about half that would be enough for any towing an F250 or 350 should be doing.

It's crazy some of the things law enforcement officials do. I went thru a spell when I drove where I was getting dispatched on Sunday afternoons from Davenport, Iowa to be at grocery warehouses in Chicago by 7 AM Monday morning.  So one Monday morning I'm driving thru Colona & Green Rock I'll on I'll Rt 84 about 2.30 AM, I'd ran over to Davenport Sunday afternoon and brought the load closer to home. So, all of a sudden about 3 local squad cars surround me, force me onto the shoulder. Road I was on was a popular route to bypass a scale,  I showed them my scale weight ticket showing I was around 65,000#, about 8500# under the limit. The cops are pizzed. They check all my lights, everything's working. They drag out a 100 ft tape measure, Yep, He's GOTTA be over-length!  With a 45 ft trailer and a 144 inch wheelbase tractor on a 65 ft limit?  What are these guys smoking? They couldn't understand my log book or bills of lading or packing lists at all.

I think LEO'S have been tamed down some and only write tickets if an accident occurs.  Locally, I wish they would Crack down harder on these high school kids that steal cars and joy ride around town, typically they end with an injury accident, kids get a slap on the wrist and released and go right back to walking around looking for more cars to steal. The Judges say it's a "victimless crime", the car owner files a claim on their insurance, has to fight with them, fight with the body shop.  Sounds like the car owner gets the dirty end of the stick.

2X

7 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Because international made it.

i maintain that most of the issues with modern diesels are A. Emissions, but B. Turning out too much HP. I feel the same way about 1/2 ton trucks with 13k tow ratings and glorified 1 ton trucks with 30+k tow ratings. Somethings got to give, you can’t cram that much into that small a package without issues, and across the board, people are having issues pushing these trucks to their rated limits.  

in 2000 I bought a new F-350 with a 7.3 and had my brother make up a couple decals with the IH logo and under it said powered by International Harvester they were 3"x3" put one on each side of the hood that made a lot of people ask questions most didn't know all the Fords had IH diesel's from the onset

7 hours ago, DR.EVIL said:

that's one problem we don't have up here in woods, dumb cops (most worked on a farm or in the woods before they was cops) and kids stealing car's because If the owner don't beat them to death the cop's will !!

I would be happy with the 225 hp that the tag on the valve cover states!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DR.EVIL said:

A 7.3 will never run with a common rail 6.7 that's been tuned and if you get it close it isn't going to last very long.  

I can't remember where I saw the article was in a AG magazine years back about a guy that did custom baling. He had 12 or more square balers and hauled them with 7.3 F-350 Fords instead of tractors said he could haul everything he needed on the flatbed of the truck fuel, twine and tools  and had diesel engines mounted on the balers seemed like a good idea and could move down the road easy they also had self propelled bale wagons to pick up the bales I think he was in Texas as I recall

There was/is millions of them out there for sure and work for some people I guess!