Jump to content

Them junk 7.3 powerstrokes.


brahamfireman

Recommended Posts

Had a 12 row front fold IH planter to pick up 490 miles away in NE Missouri, So what's a guy do..... changed the oil in the truck exactly where it has sat for the last 4 months in storage,  fired off like it ran yesterday. Hooked it up to the gooseneck, checked all the tires and hit the freeway. 7.5 hours, 1 fuel stop empty. Loaded up and headed north straight into a 20mph head wind. Poor thing could only do 45-55, sucked fuel at a rate of 6 mpg!!!!! Spent the night in mount pleasant IA and finished the drive Saturday.  515 loaded miles, only 1 catastrophe in Belle Prairie IA. Wheel bearing on the 3rd axle blew apart on a corner in town, I walked to the hardware store, bought the only chain they had and kept on trucking. it looks like the axle is in the dirt,  but its almost a foot off the ground. Good Ole 7.3 never once got hot or stuttered. 

You can just make out the milage in the last Pic. Just a few shy of exactly 1,000 miles. Think it burned 1 gallon of oil,  my injectir orings are shot, guessing they're all original. 

 

 

Snapchat-442864181.jpg

Snapchat-1345218555.jpg

20220325_074910.jpg

20220325_190109.jpg

20220325_132655.jpg

20220326_181617.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, hardtail said:

That's kind of an ugly looking load 😁

Didn't raise DOT scrutiny?

Really REALLY should have spent the extra hour at the guys place and turned it 90 degrees. We would  have had to unfold 1 wing and swing the hitch. Would have only been 11 wide instead of 16, but I think it would have cut through the wind SO much better. Live and learn. 

Saw 5 or 6 cops in Iowa. I was only on interstates for maybe 25 miles total. Not once did I get stopped. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow 16 wide.  That would never work on our roads.  Truck looks good yet.  In my opinion ford's glory years were the 7.3.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Step side on a HD ford? Mighty unusual combination. 

Just seen that.  Never seen one before.  A take off bed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

Just seen that.  Never seen one before.  A take off bed?

That's why I asked for more pics.  Didn't know step side was an option on HD trucks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Binderoid said:

You should pull that 7.3 and replace it with a 350 Chevy with twin sticks 

I have read the other thread you are referring to.  Everyone is entitled to there own opinion but i have never come across ANYONE who has anything but good things to say about a 7.3.  By todays standards they are not all that powerful but they last a LONG time.  As long as your glow plugs/ block heater work i have never seen one that would not fire up in about any weather.  When you are talking bout engines this old i just feel its normal for them to need some parts replaced at this point in there life.  Glow plugs, injectors, sensors, oil leaks all may need attention but its all available and not really all that hard to work on,

 

2 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

Had a 12 row front fold IH planter to pick up 490 miles away in NE Missouri, So what's a guy do..... changed the oil in the truck exactly where it has sat for the last 4 months in storage,  fired off like it ran yesterday. Hooked it up to the gooseneck, checked all the tires and hit the freeway. 7.5 hours, 1 fuel stop empty. Loaded up and headed north straight into a 20mph head wind. Poor thing could only do 45-55, sucked fuel at a rate of 6 mpg!!!!! Spent the night in mount pleasant IA and finished the drive Saturday.  515 loaded miles, only 1 catastrophe in Belle Prairie IA. Wheel bearing on the 3rd axle blew apart on a corner in town, I walked to the hardware store, bought the only chain they had and kept on trucking. it looks like the axle is in the dirt,  but its almost a foot off the ground. Good Ole 7.3 never once got hot or stuttered. 

You can just make out the milage in the last Pic. Just a few shy of exactly 1,000 miles. Think it burned 1 gallon of oil,  my injectir orings are shot, guessing they're all original. 

 

 

Snapchat-442864181.jpg

Snapchat-1345218555.jpg

20220325_074910.jpg

20220325_190109.jpg

20220325_132655.jpg

20220326_181617.jpg

Great to here your trip went well.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, B.B. said:

That's why I asked for more pics.  Didn't know step side was an option on HD trucks 

It wasn't, guy before me put it on. In 95-97 you could get an F250 crew cab, but was only available in a shortbox.  Turns out the flare side short box off the 1/2 ton is the same. So while my truck is a factory short box truck, the flare side was added. I hate the box, just too small, but it gets tons of looks, especially pulling a gooseneck. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Binderoid said:

You should pull that 7.3 and replace it with a 350 Chevy with twin sticks 

This thread is poking fun of the well known thread, but it's all in good fun. I fully believe the truck in that thread has been a victim of shade tree mechanics not fully knowing how those motors work. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Binderoid said:

You should pull that 7.3 and replace it with a 350 Chevy with twin sticks 

With an auto in the middle 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Boy if you would have had an unfortunate accident they would have thrown away the keys for the jail cell. They would have found a few big ticket violations. No warning flags or flashing lights on traffic side, the tie down method , weight rating of pickup and trailer and in the very end the triple axle single wheel axle width isn’t spaced enough to haul the load. 3 , 7000 lb axles would give you 21,000 lb carry but the spacing gives you 14000 lb so the load and trailer weight were pushing being legal. I don’t think you need a permit if you were an Iowa farmer but you were to far away to use the exemption so a overwidth permit is needed also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got a 99 f-350 with the 7.3 and auto trans.  Not sure of the mileage but its was pulled  hard and ran ran the daylights out of it.  Other then a oil leak on front of engine and blowing it all over front of engine it has done a good job for me and keeps on going.  Oops forgot to mention that when it rains it will shut off at a stop sign but always restart and go. After a year of trying to get them two fixed with no luck I'm about ready to say the heck with them and just keep running and no I wouldn't be afraid to take it on any long trips.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Farmer or not, the exception states anything farm equipment over 12'4" in width needs a wide load permit. I haul it near every day of the week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I too am impressed that you didn't get blue lights. In Michigan you would have been wheeled more than once, gotta pay for our crappy roads somehow.  Glad you made it and got that planter home. We ran a cyclo for years, first a 400 then an 800.  Good planters if kept up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

Boy if you would have had an unfortunate accident they would have thrown away the keys for the jail cell. They would have found a few big ticket violations. No warning flags or flashing lights on traffic side, the tie down method , weight rating of pickup and trailer and in the very end the triple axle single wheel axle width isn’t spaced enough to haul the load. 3 , 7000 lb axles would give you 21,000 lb carry but the spacing gives you 14000 lb so the load and trailer weight were pushing being legal. I don’t think you need a permit if you were an Iowa farmer but you were to far away to use the exemption so a overwidth permit is needed also.

I'd be surprised if the planter weights 5K. If 15K is over the GCWR of that truck,  then ford messed up.

There's actually 4 straps. 2 way in right over the main beam pulling straight down, the 2 on the outer edges were just incase it wanted to wiggle. Based on the marks from the hitch, the planter moved forward/backwards 1 inch max.

What is the axle spacing supposed to be on 3 axle trailers? Pretty sure mines the exact same as every other 21K pound rated trailer in America.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

I'd be surprised if the planter weights 5K. If 15K is over the GCWR of that truck,  then ford messed up.

There's actually 4 straps. 2 way in right over the main beam pulling straight down, the 2 on the outer edges were just incase it wanted to wiggle. Based on the marks from the hitch, the planter moved forward/backwards 1 inch max.

What is the axle spacing supposed to be on 3 axle trailers? Pretty sure mines the exact same as every other 21K pound rated trailer in America.

Careful or you’ll get the tongue lashing I did last year for not having a cdl 🤤

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

I'd be surprised if the planter weights 5K. If 15K is over the GCWR of that truck,  then ford messed up.

There's actually 4 straps. 2 way in right over the main beam pulling straight down, the 2 on the outer edges were just incase it wanted to wiggle. Based on the marks from the hitch, the planter moved forward/backwards 1 inch max.

What is the axle spacing supposed to be on 3 axle trailers? Pretty sure mines the exact same as every other 21K pound rated trailer in America.

Axle spacing on those trailers isn’t regulated. It is the same requirement as a semi bridge law. Not saying anything bad. You have stated before you drove  CDL and have a cdl license. This stuff is all covered in those manuals and test we take. . Big problem with gooseneck trailers was they were built to what they thought were good but not to specs. I think axle center to center has to be 43 inches to be be considered  separate axles. For years we hauled very illegally also , just know better now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man I thought I had some cahonies. Glad you made it ok. My disk I hauled home was like 14' the way the wings stuck out. wasnt any way to make it better short of removing the wings. that ride was nerve racking enough in town. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...