856 bolster leaking

Andejo

I have a leak on the front end of the bolster. The banjo fittings were not leaking. I pulled it all apart and could not find any bad o rings. sleeve and all.  The top  nut that holds the  pivot shaft was loose. I got 4-5 turns on it. should have put it back together and tried it. 

Wondering if my piston sleeve is ok. It has a scratch on the side wall. 

I don't have the 2 o rings on each side of the piston just one. Do I need it the second one. Will it fit on the piston next to the Teflon one.  Tractor seers perfect. 

It has a little damage on the Teflon ring. Bad pic. Should it be replaced?  

Thanks 

577601604_IMG_20220323_180104526(1).thumb.jpg.001d6920a88e0cd36d702c808c4ea8a5.jpg

IMG_20220323_153253965_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220323_150849945 (6).jpg

Since you are in there, and the seal is nicked, I would replace all seals now.

Put in what IH calls for through the parts department.

The sleeve is fine and has some surface scratches that will not effect sealing.

Also, you probably can't find a new sleeve and the price will probably be close to the national debt?

Since you have found no leaks in the PS, is the leak higher in the oil cooler area?

You can loosen the cooler on one side and swing it out.

It twists on the two rubber hoses.

Plan on replacing them as they are very old too and have to be rated for oil.

Look for a clean wet streak and follow it up until it gets dirty.

There is your leak.

The top the bolster was dry. everything above it too.  I plan on replacing everything but the sleeve. 

I keep thinking the nut that was loose might be all it was. Its the only thing that was obvious. 

Thanks

You really have to remove  the sleeve carefully. The three end Orings seal outside and become very old and hard. The closest to sleeve flange will leak to the outside the others just leak off pressure. Pretty sure a 560 sleeve is the same they just had the end steering valve.  A hone will clean up sleeve a bit. And it was probably just bottom seal leaking but you have it apart reseal it all. 

Thank you all. Dale thanks again. I have all replacements parts on order. Piston seals are special order so I won't see them until Tuesday. I will be out of town for two weeks so project is on hold. I will let you all know how it turns out! 

If I remember right, those sleeves are an eccentric.

To set the free play from the rack to the bolster you twist the sleeve.

Somebody better look in the book to make sure.

It was 45 years ago.

4 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

If I remember right, those sleeves are an eccentric.

To set the free play from the rack to the bolster you twist the sleeve.

Somebody better look in the book to make sure.

It was 45 years ago.

Yes they are you turn sleeve to set backlash

• 3 weeks later...

I got the bolster repaired and all the o rings replaced. Before I put the front axle on I put the radiator on and pressure tested it. It did not leak so I think it was pivot shaft nut that was loose. When I took the radiator off there was a 3" x the width of the radiator piece of rubber on the bottom.  Is there a reason that it should be there? When I put it back to where I think it would have gone it ended up tilting my radiator back far enough so that my fan hits on the shroud.