Jump to content



Recommended Posts

Dustless blasting is expensive up front and I don't feel it's as effective for doing what I do. Glass based media is great for paint removal but useless to remove corrosion or rust. Kinda expensive also. Granted the dust generated is a lot less but cleanup with a large shop, or truck mount vac is just like vacuuming your living room and not difficult. Most of the stuff I do will easily clean up and smooth out with a d/a sander due to a minor surface profile let behind that is very clean. 

If you look in the sale ads for blast equipment there is about a 5:1 disparity in the conventional vs dustless variety available; used. Lot's of young "starry eyed" guys go knee deep in debt to purchase these things to discover the job isn't as easy as the salesman let on. A few iterations of that and the equipment goes up for sale as a substantial loss to the seller ultimately. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back on it's wheels again. I spaced the axle stubs into the tubes with .250" shoulder stickout to allow weld bead buildup and strength:




You know the saying about a job done right so I packed the bearings myself this time:


Getting close. All put back together and bolts cinched down. Getting ready to drop unit close to floor to hang tires. Here is weight on wheels:


Hitched up the truck and went down the road for a spell to wear things in. I then retorqued the lug nuts and calling it good. However, tiring of the "nose down" attitude of the compressor when pulled with my pickup, I decided to build this to elevate the tongue to level and it seems to work well:




Tomorrow I'll insert this tube into the larger tube for additional strength and cap the end closed:


I like it a lot better than the original:


  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going to finish up this thread with completion of this air compressor hitch weldment. All is fine and I stuffed another tube into the bottom tube for strength as it will bear most of the brunt of the pull. I did do the same to the vertical riser but did not photo that. I'm comfortable it will serve the purpose.

Double tube install:


Welded up solid and smoothed out both ends:


Used existing holes as pilots and the pins go right through:



Nice little project and I really enjoyed doing something for myself this time:


I'll blast this clean and get some paint on it the beginning of the week so it will stay somewhat rust free. It will only be used when I pull the air compressor but may find use on down the line when I build a heavier trailer. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...