Cat 3406

806 man

On 4/14/2022 at 10:30 AM, Cattech said:

It's actually only a 10 minute job when you've done it before. 

One other check, hopefully you haven't already put everything together on the top end... very rare occurrence, but check that cam turns freely after torquing gear to camshaft. Have one or two a yr where the end of camshaft swells a couple thousandths once bolts are tight, sticks in front cam bearing. It's best to catch it before spinning the cam bearing and ruining the head.

What’s the cure for that problem ? Actually had it happen once and didn’t catch it. I always thought I had set the back lash on the tight side.

4 hours ago, dale560 said:

What’s the cure for that problem ? Actually had it happen once and didn’t catch it. I always thought I had set the back lash on the tight side.

The correct fix is a new cam, you'll need it anyways when the cam bearing spins.

Next try is only torqueing bolts to low side of spec with red Loctite on threads.

Then there's the taillight warranty hand fitting that involves a flapper wheel on a die grinder & making the front bearing "custom".

Well back on the road again. Left top 3 covers off, fired the old gal up, had good oil all over except #1 rocker arm, even at 1700 rpm just seemed low flow,had my helper remove the jake head, the rocker shafts are all new but found a piece of hard carbon, blew air through each of the little holes reinstalled now oil over rock arm was like the others so closed everything up, took it out for a spin it seemed doggie to me, boost was 23psi.  driver took it for a few loads and thought it was ok. Haven't done the timing calibration.

642A23FC-821F-4FBD-8FFC-E8CB7AE73902.jpeg

228A2870-16D1-4AA4-ABB5-EE5B0C9B3CC2.jpeg

7 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Boost is too low. 

Yes I agree ,the other trucks are 28-30 . Think I will have the timing redone on it and see if that puts builds some fire 

3 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

I would think it should pull at least 34 pounds of boost. 

Maybe with the waste gate disabled 

The boost will vary depending on your turbo. I have a 5EK in my daycab, the wastegate opens at 24 psi on that one. Even with the wastegate disabled it won’t quite hit 30 psi. It really needs a bigger turbo IMO, it doesn’t feel like it has any power until it hits 1600 rpm, and it’s set at 550 hp. 

Edited by ihrondiesel
Spelling

Took truck in for it's annual check up, I mentioned R&R the head and the timing issue ''So you want us to run the overhead'' No just re-calibrate the ECM timing.  Huh? I tried to explain but---- later received a call from the mechanic, yeah ok got it.

On 4/13/2022 at 9:16 AM, Cattech said:

The Timing Calibration will not increase the available engine power or the Timing Calibration will not decrease the available engine power. Do not expect an increase in power due to the performance of the timing calibration.

Has the charge air cooler been pressure tested?  I have changed a few F/L intercoolers over the years.  How much boost did it make before it started missing?  

7 hours ago, 806 man said:

Took truck in for it's annual check up, I mentioned R&R the head and the timing issue ''So you want us to run the overhead'' No just re-calibrate the ECM timing.  Huh? I tried to explain but---- later received a call from the mechanic, yeah ok got it.

Yes that’s the trouble you run into. Most big shops think the avg guy is incompetent or doesn’t possess the knowledge to set the overhead.

6 hours ago, dale560 said:

Yes that’s the trouble you run into. Most big shops think the avg guy is incompetent or doesn’t possess the knowledge to set the overhead.

Apparently the freight-liner dealer either doesn't have the correct equipment or the know how. Guy says he hooked up the computer and no way to check it  I asked him if he installed the transducer into the engine. ''what's that"  ok good bye. Passed the annual so good to go for now.

On 4/21/2022 at 11:29 AM, 806 man said:

Apparently the freight-liner dealer either doesn't have the correct equipment or the know how. Guy says he hooked up the computer and no way to check it  I asked him if he installed the transducer into the engine. ''what's that"  ok good bye. Passed the annual so good to go for now.

It’s been a few years since cat stopped making truck engines. So it is possible kid has never seen a cat engine. Mechanical pump 436,466 ih engines are every where. My buddy took his new dealer reman mechanical 466 in for a warranty check. We put the complete engine in for him. Starter to fuel pump on engine. The guys working at local Navistar just told him we know nothing about old injection pumps.  Just reading a thing now most engine companies are buying or making their own power train stuff now. Detroit has transmission, front steering and rear drive axles now. So I imagine that will be most of freightliner stuff now. Cummins is buying  meritor ( Rockwell) I don’t know who they will supply. Instead of every truck dealer having a few kinds of engines they will be one stop shop.

42 minutes ago, dale560 said:

It’s been a few years since cat stopped making truck engines. So it is possible kid has never seen a cat engine. Mechanical pump 436,466 ih engines are every where. My buddy took his new dealer reman mechanical 466 in for a warranty check. We put the complete engine in for him. Starter to fuel pump on engine. The guys working at local Navistar just told him we know nothing about old injection pumps.  Just reading a thing now most engine companies are buying or making their own power train stuff now. Detroit has transmission, front steering and rear drive axles now. So I imagine that will be most of freightliner stuff now. Cummins is buying  meritor ( Rockwell) I don’t know who they will supply. Instead of every truck dealer having a few kinds of engines they will be one stop shop.

Yes heavy trucks are going the way of car companies, all own proprietary components, cheaper to use in house and with everything electronic now it all has to communicate.

Checked in at the local IH truck store. Which has a Cat guy there he asked '' how does it run? i said it's fine.  He said ''Don't worry about it"  he has changed a lots of heads and never had an issue.

I'm usually over on the general discussion board, have to remember to come here to add to this one. If anyone is looking for my thoughts, PM me or drop a line over there.

On the timing cal, it might be-just fine, if it is running ok and not giving an active fault, then it's obviously within the electronic tolerances.

I can't say as to how much effect not being calibrated even has.... because I would never let a customer have his engine back without performing the procedure. 

It sounds like your boost is on the low side, a few above think it's way low. Truth is, 20-25 PSI can be completely normal for that engine, it all depends on the flash file in the ECM. A timing cal could also cause it to be low.

People hear their engine is set for 550hp and 1850 ftlb torque and that's all they think about it.. truth is, there's about 10 different flash file versions of that setting for each and every S/N prefix. Every one gives different torque curves, optimum RPM, etc. It was all spec'd by the original purchaser and the OEM dealer... and probably changed 3-4x over the last 20 yrs. So, without a performance spec p/n and arrangement number, anyone guessing on that boost number is doing just that.

As I said above, can't say how much effect timing cal has, just that Cat says the procedure is required when the timing gears have been disturbed. It might be worth a few HP, or some MPG... At $5 a gallon, can you afford to not to make it right? A .5 MPG increase pays off a shop bill pretty fast these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2022 at 3:10 PM, Cattech said:

I'm usually over on the general discussion board, have to remember to come here to add to this one. If anyone is looking for my thoughts, PM me or drop a line over there.

On the timing cal, it might be-just fine, if it is running ok and not giving an active fault, then it's obviously within the electronic tolerances.

I can't say as to how much effect not being calibrated even has.... because I would never let a customer have his engine back without performing the procedure. 

It sounds like your boost is on the low side, a few above think it's way low. Truth is, 20-25 PSI can be completely normal for that engine, it all depends on the flash file in the ECM. A timing cal could also cause it to be low.

People hear their engine is set for 550hp and 1850 ftlb torque and that's all they think about it.. truth is, there's about 10 different flash file versions of that setting for each and every S/N prefix. Every one gives different torque curves, optimum RPM, etc. It was all spec'd by the original purchaser and the OEM dealer... and probably changed 3-4x over the last 20 yrs. So, without a performance spec p/n and arrangement number, anyone guessing on that boost number is doing just that.

As I said above, can't say how much effect timing cal has, just that Cat says the procedure is required when the timing gears have been disturbed. It might be worth a few HP, or some MPG... At $5 a gallon, can you afford to not to make it right? A .5 MPG increase pays off a shop bill pretty fast these days.

The saga continues. The truck runs great, however driver comes in said he added a gallon of water. WTH?  I thought the truck may be venting it out so I added a recovery tank. I refilled radiator to the top put 3'' of antifreeze in over flow tank after 2 hours of use and cooled down the tank will be dry.  I've checked the oil filler cap its dry, no foam. Let the truck sit for 8 hours no white smoke on start up. Have heat ex changer on tranny no water showing up there. No water leaks any where. Really has me stumped.

Last time before we pulled head off had water system pressurized for 24 hours with oil plug out no sign of water out the bottom.

Put a bottle where your pressurized cap vents to and be sure it's not blowing out due to cooling system pressurization.  

Did you cut the deck and shim the liners up on that?  Those engines are old enough I think about every one needs it done now or else you'll have head gasket issues.  

Dont forget that the air compressor can cause this too both by pressurizing coolant system through it's own head gasket, or put it into your air system.

I HATE troubleshooting your symptom probably the most out of any engine issue.  

This engine was O/H several years back maybe 150k miles since. The liner protrusion was even at 3 -3.5 thousands across the deck. I installed a thinner spacer plate to increase the protrusion. The one place I haven't looked for water is the air tanks. I will check there.  Thank you

On 5/13/2022 at 3:36 AM, Cdfarabaugh said:

Put a bottle where your pressurized cap vents to and be sure it's not blowing out due to cooling system pressurization.  

Did you cut the deck and shim the liners up on that?  Those engines are old enough I think about every one needs it done now or else you'll have head gasket issues.  

Dont forget that the air compressor can cause this too both by pressurizing coolant system through it's own head gasket, or put it into your air system.

I HATE troubleshooting your symptom probably the most out of any engine issue.  

Some what odd but nothing but air coming out of the air tanks.  Next----🤪