8930 record price?

lorenzo

2 hours ago, 856 Custom said:

3551. Too many for that price IMO. 

Not really, 3550 is pretty low hours, it’s a tractor with no emissions, fairly simple electronics, and the average person can do most if not all repairs.  
I know of a dealer that has customers going to salvage yards, buying 71, 72, and 8900 series magnums, bringing them to the dealer for all repairs to make it a tractor again.  Rebuilt transmission, new engine, or whatever else it may need.  The first one they did, left the shop for under $90k, had warranty on the repairs made, and the guy was thrilled.  

• Like 3

Not so very long ago a 89 series with that kind of hours topped @ 70k. Will that become the new normal price for one in that hour range? Agree 100% with the reliability. 8940 has been here 21 years and nothing mechanical has failed but a steering hose by the front axle. Gets it's regular maintenance and got new injectors and the overhead ran at 2000 hours as recommended.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

Not really, 3550 is pretty low hours, it’s a tractor with no emissions, fairly simple electronics, and the average person can do most if not all repairs.  
I know of a dealer that has customers going to salvage yards, buying 71, 72, and 8900 series magnums, bringing them to the dealer for all repairs to make it a tractor again.  Rebuilt transmission, new engine, or whatever else it may need.  The first one they did, left the shop for under $90k, had warranty on the repairs made, and the guy was thrilled.  

Seems like 20 years ago I had dealer personnel telling me that 5000 hours was when 1980's and 1990's Power Shift equipped tractors started needing things.  Expensive things such as engine and transmission rebuilds.  Did not matter if the maintenance was done to the number and the letter.  Now we are being told 10,000 hours no problem.  3550 hours might let me sleep at might if the tractor came off of certain farms but there are a number of farms that I would not want a tractor if it only had 1000 hours.  Powerball is tonight, right?

11 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

The only boxcar magnums i have seen in a salvage yard are cooked to a crisp. I don't know if they are all being rebuilt or if they are parted out immediately on arrival . Anytime i visit Sikeston i drive through the yards,just to see if there are any being parted out,and i have yet to find one there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

The only boxcar magnums i have seen in a salvage yard are cooked to a crisp. I don't know if they are all being rebuilt or if they are parted out immediately on arrival . Anytime i visit Sikeston i drive through the yards,just to see if there are any being parted out,and i have yet to find one there.

Very rare to find one in a salvage yard. 
I called all over the US looking for the window step bracket .  Only found one burned 8920 and the cab was sold as soon as they got it.

In my opinion the prices of these are being driven up because of the lack of anything new to buy, also these magnums have a very good track record and are known to be less trouble then some of the newer ones. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 766 Man said:

Seems like 20 years ago I had dealer personnel telling me that 5000 hours was when 1980's and 1990's Power Shift equipped tractors started needing things.  Expensive things such as engine and transmission rebuilds.  Did not matter if the maintenance was done to the number and the letter.  Now we are being told 10,000 hours no problem.  3550 hours might let me sleep at might if the tractor came off of certain farms but there are a number of farms that I would not want a tractor if it only had 1000 hours.  Powerball is tonight, right?

We bought a year old 8950 out of Hopkinsville KY. It has 560 hours when we got it and it has 18xxx on the meter now and it's only had head gaskets (3 before 6k hours) and one injection pump rebuild. We are a dairy farm even ... 

These are very reliable tractors. If you fix them correctly when needed they might go longer than the Energizer bunny 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bitty said:

We bought a year old 8950 out of Hopkinsville KY. It has 560 hours when we got it and it has 18xxx on the meter now and it's only had head gaskets (3 before 6k hours) and one injection pump rebuild. We are a dairy farm even ... 

These are very reliable tractors. If you fix them correctly when needed they might go longer than the Energizer bunny 

No doubt your tractor has had excellent care and gets treated quite well which is a testament to you.  I don't know of such a tractor around my area to be bought and the further a person goes from home the less that they are going to know about a given tractor.  Would not mind a 7130 MFWD but not going to happen with today's prices.  Last night I laid in bed kicking myself for not having more acquired up until now given where things are heading but there was only so much I could do.  I need other things as well as tractors but reinforcing my tractor lineup has become a priority given the general used supply and parts situation.  Surprising that I have not had to reach for the Maalox lately given all the worry I have.  

We have parted very few Magnums at work.  Most all have been repaired and sold or sold as builders.  Very, very popular machines!  Even had one that rolled down an incline into a manure lagoon. Yep,  rebuilt and back in the field.  Can't kill em.

• Like 1

These prices are just wild. Im glad I’ve been upgrading equipment the past few years. I bought a 7120 fwa, 7140 fwa, 16 row 1770 planter, 4800 field cultivator, and a Parker grain cart for what that 8930 sold for.

• Like 1

Im about positive I’ve read in a book that talks of I believe a 7120 on a cattle ranch with 45,000 hours, and if I recall correctly, maybe 1 overhaul?!
Now I need to read that book again! 

Sorry my thoughts were wrong, it is in one of Lee Klanchers books, it just says, he once saw a magnum in Argentina that spent its whole life in front of a 5 shank deep ripper.  At 21,000 hours, the only reason it went to the dealer was for cab repairs from a tree branch. 

There's a 7240 coming into my neighborhood from a Minnesota retirement auction. I guess it has 52xx hours, had to give 75K to get it. Haven't seen it yet but has to be a nice one. 

28 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

Im about positive I’ve read in a book that talks of I believe a 7120 on a cattle ranch with 45,000 hours, and if I recall correctly, maybe 1 overhaul?!
Now I need to read that book again! 

Sorry my thoughts were wrong, it is in one of Lee Klanchers books, it just says, he once saw a magnum in Argentina that spent its whole life in front of a 5 shank deep ripper.  At 21,000 hours, the only reason it went to the dealer was for cab repairs from a tree branch. 

@Super A_sepa what is on Jessie's Magnum? 

15 hours ago, IH Forever said:

I can't even afford the 2% buyers premium.  🙄

I know the feeling! At least it wasn’t 5%!

8 hours ago, bitty said:

@Super A_sepa what is on Jessie's Magnum? 

Think it's close to 44k hours now. 

Engine done once.

Diff flipped once. Was always making left hand turns.

Trans never done.

Most expensive repair since 30k hours was $1300 on a new aftermarket seat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1256pickett said:

I know the feeling! At least it wasn’t 5%!

Try 10%. There is a outfit around here that does 10% buyers premium.