Home cb radio?

Twolines

On 3/23/2022 at 12:24 AM, sandhiller said:

Homeland security bout us new digital Motorola's.

As the Motorola s start going bad..........

We went away from Motorola because of cost and proprietary software to program.

Have IComm radios now.

We own the software to program ourselves.

Frequencies are A/F ambulance and fire so don't worry about any bleed over.

All hard mount antennas.

Mag mount don't have the range.

50 and 100 watt radios.

Think hand held are 5 watt??? Not sure, would have to look but handhelds will hit repeater if we are in a hill and not too far away.

We went with Hytera to replace the Motorola, half the price, better options, more compact package and optional 12v chargers. They seem to have much better range and clarity over the Motorola, but no function lock which can be an issue . 

B38B019B-5304-422F-B7B7-2F93EFF523C1.jpeg

72BC91A0-7282-43CF-82D2-26D494252E5A.jpeg

9C9AD991-1CDA-4FA8-84D0-D4A8A5107920.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok update, i picked up the simba. I believe it to be 1974...its only 23 channel but is am and side band. Picked up an swr/watt meter and a sirio 2008 antenna(20 ft). I hooked it all up temporarily until the snow melts...im getting radio checks as close as a few miles and one so far from around 300 miles. The antenna is currently on a 10ft fence toprail as a mast and the tip is roughly 30ft up. When the snow melts im going to hoist it up above the roof so the tip will be just under 60ft up. Cant wait to see if i get any distance gain. 

Here is the old Johnson Viking Messenger I used to use as a base back in the 70's - 80's. As far as I know it still works but have not tried it in many years. 

Back in the days when a CB would reach aways.

Neatest thing I ever heard was one night I heard one side of a conversation, weak but getting stronger.

He was talking to different people. 

When his signal got strong, I called for him and we talked for a short bit.

He was in a military aircraft and talking to cb bases as he traveled NE to SW. 

Said he liked tune in the cb freq's but his butt would be in a sling if he got caught.😄

I heard him for maybe 10 or 15 minutes before he was out of range. 

CB.thumb.jpg.1791eec3c920760b10dbf31636f80833.jpg

• Like 1

Thats way cool..ya i need to watch out, im fairly close to an af base.

Love the old equipment and pretty much anything old anyway.

U should fire up that unit just for giggles!

• Like 1

You have me thinking of reupping my want of cb radio, cobra 29 LTD is the one I've got my eye on, not home but out there looking for smokies, maybe a latte also.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 8:46 PM, Twolines said:

Question about ham. Can i own one legally if just listening?

Yes, you need a license to transmit 

• Thanks 1

There are also a lot of VHF/UHF trucker frequencies used along the parks and Richardson highways. Radio fairbanks will sell you a radio and you can “join” the conversation for a small fee to use the radios. 

Hook that 29 up! I have one still in the box i got from dad and will be putting it in the 1 ton...dual whips too! 

Got an acquaintance thats into ham, said hed give me a bunch of stuff to get started. He keeps pestering me to drop the cb and just get licensed.

Hey AK what else they got in there? Ive been meaning to drop by but my schedule hasnt permitted until now..my last day of work was today.

Here is a 10 meter Stryker radio that puts out 100 watts.

A jumper inside let's it access the cb channels.

Out in big open country it will reach out.

IMG_20220413_235733850.thumb.jpg.31b101a72df05e012312e8c175396d76.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Twolines said:

Hook that 29 up! I have one still in the box i got from dad and will be putting it in the 1 ton...dual whips too! 

Got an acquaintance thats into ham, said hed give me a bunch of stuff to get started. He keeps pestering me to drop the cb and just get licensed.

Hey AK what else they got in there? Ive been meaning to drop by but my schedule hasnt permitted until now..my last day of work was today.

Unfortunately they don’t have much out to look at the last time I was there, but can set you up with anything. I would highly recommend the HAM testing, it’s what I did. There is a pretty active club in the interior, and most HAM UHF/VHF radios work as scanners to.  
In my truck I have a HAM mobile radio, and I can listen to the crews clearing snow , and the truckers on their “big radios”.  And then I can talk with HAM guys that are out there

• Thanks 1