Home cb radio?

Twolines

So.. ive been thinking about short distance(as far as it will go) communication. My main focus is power out shtf situations. I have a few cbs and was thinking of setting one up as a base station in the cabin. Thought of running a power supply and when things get dark hooking to a battery.

Id appreciate any thoughts and experience/wisdom on this. Thanks

You want a 10 meter version. Pretty much like a ham radio setup. Good nights with “skip” in the atmosphere I’ve talked from my 10 meter cb in my truck from Northern Illinois to guys in New York State. Sometimes to guys in Northern Georgia.

Get some nice coax and good base antenna and hook it up. Be better if you have a sideband capable cb. Have a good swr meter inline too. Wind took down my tower 12 years ago. I acquired all the damaged pieces just haven't put it up yet. Hopefully this summer. Like to be operational before snow flies.

57 minutes ago, Twolines said:

So.. ive been thinking about short distance(as far as it will go) communication. My main focus is power out shtf situations. I have a few cbs and was thinking of setting one up as a base station in the cabin. Thought of running a power supply and when things get dark hooking to a battery.

Id appreciate any thoughts and experience/wisdom on this. Thanks

Who are thinking of communicating with.

Family, neighbors, anyone who is out there?

For family and in close, the little handheld (gmrs?) radios do pretty good. 

Can get private band handhelds or mobiles ( I use one for a base, with a good antennae allows me to get pager calls down on the river) like we have with the FD that range better. 

The range on CB's just ain't what it used to be. There is skip out there but they are generating BIG watts and it is listen only for the most part. 

I have a Stryker 497 hpc in the Pete that does pretty good but only as good as the the radio the other guy has. 

I was told just so much electrical interference out there in the air waves, dunno for sure. 

I have an old 12v to 120v inverter/converter/transformer (not sure correct terminology) I am sure there are different levels of performance and quality. It used to run a little tv/vcr for the kids in the conversion van. I remember it working good. 

• Like 1

I am going with smoke signals. If you see smoke, might need help. No smoke, good to go! Keep your powder dry.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

If you can’t find a CB you like, take a look at Midland’s X Talker walkie talkie.  We bought 2 pairs a year ago for our baling operation and they work really well for walkie talkie.  Most times clear as a bell for at least a mile. Works better than my brother’s Vertex (?) 2 ways that crap out at half a mile.

You can get coverage over a give area on GMRS freqs by running repeaters.  Legality could be an issue but the equipment is available.

Some handhelds can also be used as repeaters so a group of individuals using those handhelds can create a network.  Vehicle mounted radios can also  be part of the network.  Drive to the highest  location  in the area  and become the center of a network. (normally it's just a repeater tower) No local intervention required, the radio receives the incoming signal  and immediately re-transmits on a different freq. There was a lot of good communications systems prior to cell phones, mostly used by emergency providers.

U guys are awesome! Great information. Im not too concerned with anyone hearing me...ill be listening mostly. There are a few in my neck of the woods already using them tho and i may keep up with them. 

1 hour ago, oleman said:

(normally it's just a repeater tower)

Fire and EMS would be severely hampered out here without repeaters. 

I remember when they put them in. Grant from Homeland Security. Made a huge difference in our being able to contact other depts for mutual aid when on a fire miles from nowhere.

They do require power however. 

SHTF scenario, Ham radios will be the main source of communication world wide. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Twolines said:

U guys are awesome! Great information. Im not too concerned with anyone hearing me...ill be listening mostly. There are a few in my neck of the woods already using them tho and i may keep up with them. 

Did u ever get your knife?

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I remember when they put them in. Grant from Homeland Security. Made a huge difference in our being able to contact other depts for mutual aid when on a fire miles from nowhere.

Interesting note, it really does depend on the radio too, i have a CM300 in my pickup and a 1250 something or other in my utility, both with the same 16” magent Mount antennas and both Motorola. The utility is annoying in how good it receives ( it transmits as well) because it picks up a lot of chatter, i get Barre on our channel (must be the frequency is the same) when the weather is right. And i get a lot from Washington county NY that doesn’t pertain to us. The pickup is pretty quiet but doesn’t have the range, its radio is physically a fair amount smaller than the other. 

Snake-knife? I did the flashlight warranty..but ill accept another knife!

I really like the idea of ham...but dont have the time for a license. Guess u wouldnt need one in shtf scenario.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twolines said:

Snake-knife? I did the flashlight warranty..but ill accept another knife!

I was sharpening a switchblade when I wrote that,  ya, light.

• Haha 1

I figured something like that lol. Ya i am pretty happy with their service. Havnt had too many companies stand behind a product like that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Interesting note, it really does depend on the radio too, i have a CM300 in my pickup and a 1250 something or other in my utility, both with the same 16” magent Mount antennas and both Motorola. The utility is annoying in how good it receives ( it transmits as well) because it picks up a lot of chatter, i get Barre on our channel (must be the frequency is the same) when the weather is right. And i get a lot from Washington county NY that doesn’t pertain to us. The pickup is pretty quiet but doesn’t have the range, its radio is physically a fair amount smaller than the other. 

Homeland security bout us new digital Motorola's.

As the Motorola s start going bad..........

We went away from Motorola because of cost and proprietary software to program.

Have IComm radios now.

We own the software to program ourselves.

Frequencies are A/F ambulance and fire so don't worry about any bleed over.

All hard mount antennas.

Mag mount don't have the range.

50 and 100 watt radios.

Think hand held are 5 watt??? Not sure, would have to look but handhelds will hit repeater if we are in a hill and not too far away.

Anyone heard of pearce simpson? Particularly the simba from 1974. Ive got a line on one for cheap with a mast/antenna. Little old lady put it on Craigslist the other day and i called her up today. She said they used it before they had a land line back in the day.

Question about ham. Can i own one legally if just listening?

Vt..i may have just opened a can of worms..looks like i may be taking the technician and general tests. Thanks...lol

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Twolines said:

Vt..i may have just opened a can of worms..looks like i may be taking the technician and general tests. Thanks...lol

Ham could be fun, CB wouldn’t get you much these days. The odd truck driver who would be out of range before you knew it, and a high school kid with bad acne and 6’ whips on his danger ranger. 

18 hours ago, sandhiller said:

First use of solar panels was to recharge  batteries used to power radio repeaters in the middle of nowhere.

In this area the Ham groups have a very well maintained UHF repeater network.  Since there is no satellite or commercial networks involved this 100 sq mile area is covered for a real emergency!

From a technical standpoint I personally have huge reservations on our national reliance on GPS, cell systems, and satellites for all communications especially  the military!!!!!!!!!!!