Spring has sprung

from H to 80

My dad would approve. 

Had a Purple Martin House up every year that he was alive. 

His father too. Two big old homemade ones I remember well as a youngster. 

Eastern Nebraska, I don't think we have them this far west or I would continue the tradition. 

I remember dad sitting out in the yard after work enjoying his Martins and shooting sparrows off the house with an old BB gun😄

Thanks for bringing up a fond memory🤠

• Like 1

We had for years at the folks house until the squirrel massacre occurred

They would come back in the spring and circle and then leave, probably showing the kids where the famed event happened

Neighbor put up a house for them a few years ago. They had some move in for one summer but they didn’t come back. Must not have liked the accommodations lol. Heard some geese honking tonight while I was siting on the sled at the line fence. Brother swore he saw a duck in the ditch while we were coming home from the lake last weekend. Said it looked kind of confused siting ontop the snowbank. I’d probably be questioning my life decisions too if I were that duck. Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Neighbor put up a house for them a few years ago. They had some move in for one summer but they didn’t come back. Must not have liked the accommodations lol. Heard some geese honking tonight while I was siting on the sled at the line fence. Brother swore he saw a duck in the ditch while we were coming home from the lake last weekend. Said it looked kind of confused siting ontop the snowbank. I’d probably be questioning my life decisions too if I were that duck. Lol. 

A few honkers showed up here this past weekend too. I guess maybe there's enough flood water for them lol. They might be flying back south when it cools off this weekend lol

• Like 2

I still got 1 ft. of snow inna yard and covering the fields. Wee bit of a slow melt off this year. But down the mountain, Yup, Spring has sprung, the grass has riz, I'm a wondering where my scissors iz. Last I seen em they was run-in through da house lookin for some eyes to poke out. 🤪

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2022 at 2:39 PM, from H to 80 said:

Saw the first Martin Saint Patties day had 4 on one house this morning

60EDA488-2BE9-4522-8C6C-587FBE1A66BD.jpeg

We have seen our signs of spring also - Phoebe! 

276134378_490975382482839_3929647994990719501_n.jpg

• Like 4

WE used to have Martins here in eastern Va. but they went away about 20 years ago and never came back.  I heard a bunch got killed in South America on the migration so I assumed that was the problem.  It wasn't for lack of mosquitos around here, I know that!

On 3/22/2022 at 5:22 PM, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

When I read the title I thought maybe you saw some guys carrying a space heater into the pawn shop or something. 

Or a chainsaw

• Haha 1