97 F-350, 7.3

SONNY

If you truly are looking to go Chevy, and think you are going to get close to that 7.3, you better go 454, or go home. You be better to get a 460, over bore it and stroke it for megga power. At least it will bolt up to your tranny, otherwise you go Chevy, change tranny while your at it, and I could be wrong, but if the transfer case is married, if it's 4 wheel drive, then you change that too. Ohhh no, now you realize Chevy and Ford pumpkins are opposite, now it's Chevy axles.  Ok, at this point, we all realize you like what you like, so sell the less than broke in ford, and see what kind of 1 ton Chevy you can find anywhere near as good 

Mark

• Like 3

This is a 1997 Ford F-350 one ton 2-wd, dual wheel flatbed dump truck with a 6 ton hoist under the bed, and has some morph metric automatic trans. in it that never has shifted right.

I grew up on manual trans. trucks and cars, plus all of our tractors had clutches in them, in fact ALL of our equipment had clutches.

As for finding a 1-ton dual wheel chevy,--- thats out! none to be had around here and I cant afford a late model one, gotta be around 97 or so.

Got a 460 somebody stuck in my bucket truck and its a pos! carb not right on it. That is another thing I gotta work on, PLUS the broken pinion shaft in the rear end. ( thats another nightmare)

Anyway I have put chevy motors in many ford trucks,---- VERY easy to do. Just gut the ford and start mounting the motor, then the manual 4 speed trans., then my 3-speed aux trans and cut/weld up whatever driveshaft that is needed. lol. ----- with the 2 transmissions I will have all the gears I need for runnin the road or around here local pulling my big trailer moving the loaders and once in a while a backhoe. I usually just pull it with a big towbar if not going very far.

Not a fan of 454, 366, or any of the chevy orphans. 350 was the best one after the 283, which I ran one of forever! lol! Pic of old blue! I made that truck out of parts from a little of everything. Course the 283 had to have stacks! LOL!

Thought I had a pic of the Ford but cant find it right now, gotta take another one of and post. I love the truck itself,--just hate the motor and transmission in it! LOL!

img080566X450.JPG

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I understand not being able to find truck right now. I gave up on finding a one ton truck, I found a Kodiak 5500 that was set up for a 26 foot box. Got it cheap, real cheap cause of the length and shortened the frame by drilling new holes and moving everything forward and pulling out a section of driveshaft. Needed a bed so I made a dump bed for it. It's a 8.1 gas motor but it's not my daily driver so I don't mind the fuel milage. It was cheap enough that I kept my daily driver and only use it for towing and hauling.

0526211516_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

When I pull anything with some of our power stroke trucks I often find myself wishing it had less power and only got 4.5 miles per gallon as well. I hate running in overdrive with the diesels, I prefer to pull all the trailers in third gear when it’s loaded like we used to when all we had was 350 gasser pickups. We bought our first 7.3 new in 1991 and thought we had went to Heaven. That truck is still here and still runs great. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, td9inidaho said:

If you truly are looking to go Chevy, and think you are going to get close to that 7.3, you better go 454, or go home. You be better to get a 460, over bore it and stroke it for megga power. At least it will bolt up to your tranny, otherwise you go Chevy, change tranny while your at it, and I could be wrong, but if the transfer case is married, if it's 4 wheel drive, then you change that too. Ohhh no, now you realize Chevy and Ford pumpkins are opposite, now it's Chevy axles.  Ok, at this point, we all realize you like what you like, so sell the less than broke in ford, and see what kind of 1 ton Chevy you can find anywhere near as good 

Mark

I too have considered pulling the 6.0 vortec out of my 2500HD and installing a 4.3, the shorter block would allow for use of 3 transmissions, of course I would need to remove the passenger seat to make room for all the levers. I find that this setup is slower from 0-45 than the original setup, and it lacks in power, torque and fuel economy, but the 4.3 is dead reliable and it saved me a ton because the 6.0 needs an oil change.  Additionally i figure  that i will be so busy shifting that i won’t notice how long it takes me to get anywhere. 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, SONNY said:

This is a 1997 Ford F-350 one ton 2-wd, dual wheel flatbed dump truck with a 6 ton hoist under the bed, and has some morph metric automatic trans. in it that never has shifted right.

I grew up on manual trans. trucks and cars, plus all of our tractors had clutches in them, in fact ALL of our equipment had clutches.

As for finding a 1-ton dual wheel chevy,--- thats out! none to be had around here and I cant afford a late model one, gotta be around 97 or so.

Got a 460 somebody stuck in my bucket truck and its a pos! carb not right on it. That is another thing I gotta work on, PLUS the broken pinion shaft in the rear end. ( thats another nightmare)

Anyway I have put chevy motors in many ford trucks,---- VERY easy to do. Just gut the ford and start mounting the motor, then the manual 4 speed trans., then my 3-speed aux trans and cut/weld up whatever driveshaft that is needed. lol. ----- with the 2 transmissions I will have all the gears I need for runnin the road or around here local pulling my big trailer moving the loaders and once in a while a backhoe. I usually just pull it with a big towbar if not going very far.

Not a fan of 454, 366, or any of the chevy orphans. 350 was the best one after the 283, which I ran one of forever! lol! Pic of old blue! I made that truck out of parts from a little of everything. Course the 283 had to have stacks! LOL!

Thought I had a pic of the Ford but cant find it right now, gotta take another one of and post. I love the truck itself,--just hate the motor and transmission in it! LOL!

img080566X450.JPG

Translation  your too cheap to fix anything wrong with stuff so instead everything is a pos. Ya right. Get the carb fixed on the 460 you have and it will be fine. Use a lot of gas, they all do but will be fine.

I get being on a budget and not being able to buy the latest and greatest. Or even not being able to fix everything at once. But before blaming the vehicle or equipment fix it as you can and be happy when it works as it should.

As for the truck.... news flash many cars and trucks have had metric overdrive Trans at least automatics as early as oooooo about 1982 ish and those that didn't did have by 1990 or so. Again have whatever is wrong fixed. Might be as simple as a throttle position sensor bad. 

If you follow your plan your going to take a truck many would want and make it into something NO ONE would want. You think the electronics are a pain now, wait till you cobble a generic motors pos into it. Good grief.

• Like 4

I just put a set of reman injectors in my 2001 F-250. Readily available from Ford.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

If you follow your plan your going to take a truck many would want and make it into something NO ONE would want. You think the electronics are a pain now, wait till you cobble a generic motors pos into it. Good grief.

That’s not totally fair, the GM 350 is of, if not the most prolific engine ever put in an automobile. Parts availability is virtually limitless, reliability is outstanding, and it is about as versatile and adaptable as a small block gas can be. That said it probably isn’t the best choice for a dump truck, even if it was a GM dump truck to begin with. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

That’s not totally fair, the GM 350 is of, if not the most prolific engine ever put in an automobile. Parts availability is virtually limitless, reliability is outstanding, and it is about as versatile and adaptable as a small block gas can be. That said it probably isn’t the best choice for a dump truck, even if it was a GM dump truck to begin with. 

I know but it makes about as much sense as saying the 7.3 and the 460 are pos, which was kinda my motive for my language choice. That and a slight bit of early morning irritation. I musta got up on the wrong side of the bed....😃

3 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I know but it makes about as much sense as saying the 7.3 and the 460 are pos, which was kinda my motive for my language choice. That and a slight bit of early morning irritation. I musta got up on the wrong side of the bed....😃

I knew a guy with a 350 in a 2000 3500 classic CCDRW pickup. The thing was a dog empty. I cannot imagine it loaded. 

Hey, if anyone is looking, my son has a REALLY nice ‘97 F250 7.3L auto trans that he wants to sell. Don’t let the OP be the only one with a POS ‘97 Ford 7.3!

A 7.3L PSD should be broken-in at 123,000 miles, if it's wore out it must have been dusted or terribly abused.  SON might have a chance to put some miles on my '96 F250 7.3L with 5-speed.  It has a little over 320,000 miles.  Not sure how many glow plug relays and cam position sensors it's had, let's just say "Lot's. Put a Luk clutch in it around 185,000 miles. Replaced glow plugs at 200,000.  We've been in "The VALLEY OF BLACKNESS twice, maybe 3 times, last time replaced reciprocating fuel pump, gutted the fuel filter heating element, replaced ALL the hoses with new fresh from the factory fuel hose, the crap my Ford Store sold me lasted a year or two.  Last count I'd done 120+/- oil&filter changes. SON runs 10W-30 Rotella T5 year round. It uses NO oil between changes.. It over-heated any time the AC was on and if it was hot. SON replaced the waterpump for the 2nd time, new Mishimoto alum Hvy-Duty radiator, new fan clutch, it warms right up to 185 and won't run over 197 degrees for anything, even running 85 mph into a 30 mph headwind on a 100 degree day.

GUY I used to drive for had a '73 or '74 C50 truck, it had about SIX small block engines over about a year, 305, 307,327,350, whatever any junkyard had. Had a small cargo box maybe 7-8 ft long almost high enough to stand up in, and almost as wide as the cab, was geared to run about 50-55 before it floated the valves, everybody over-reved it, even the boss who bought all the engines. EXCEPT me, I'd run 45-50 so I didn't have to walk home. I'D drive it 2-3-4 weeks without a problem and somebody else would jump in Rev the snot out of it and blow it up.  So the small block does have it's weak spits.  MY Cousin drove a mid-60's C60 tandem axle grain truck, with a 350 hp Corvrtte 327 and a 5+3,  drove it all fall and most of the winter, all Interstate driving, he quit to farm in the spring, told his buddy who took his place about how nice that truck ran, and the new guy blew the engine within the first week. 

I can think of lots and LOTS of better truck engines than a 350 Chevy. The REAL 350 medium duty truck engines have a rpm limiting small carb to keep from over-revving. 

57 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

Hey, if anyone is looking, my son has a REALLY nice ‘97 F250 7.3L auto trans that he wants to sell. Don’t let the OP be the only one with a POS ‘97 Ford 7.3!

Actually, a guy that was on the original design team for that E4OD transmission used to be a regular poster on the Diesel Stop.com site when I spent a L-O-T of time there, he helped lots and lots of guys with problems their dealers couldn't fix.  Made me glad I had the ZF-5 speed, best manual Trans I ever had.  Beat ANYTHING made by New Process, only drove one New Venture Trans and it was wore out, had a T-5 BW in my 5.0L HO '88 Mustang that I hated.

11 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I knew a guy with a 350 in a 2000 3500 classic CCDRW pickup. The thing was a dog empty. I cannot imagine it loaded. 

350 in my 96 3500 cab and chassis terrible compared to the diesels or 454.  A dog for sure when comparing. 

3 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

350 in my 96 3500 cab and chassis terrible compared to the diesels or 454.  A dog for sure when comparing. 

And my 6.5 in my 95 is a real pig.. imagine 

7 hours ago, DR.EVIL said:

Actually, a guy that was on the original design team for that E4OD transmission used to be a regular poster on the Diesel Stop.com site when I spent a L-O-T of time there, he helped lots and lots of guys with problems their dealers couldn't fix.

I remember that guy, he caught a ton of crap from the guys wanting get rid of the water to oil trans cooler and go to a huge air to oil cooler to fix over heating problems on the E4OD.

He was a ton of knowledge but like most forums got run over by keyboard know it all mechanics.

Everybody has the right to their own opinions!---Ya-- even ME! I know what I have to work with and I dont have your deep pockets so I gotta squeeze buy on a lot less and make the most of what I have.

Anyway I found the pix of the old truck took these last summer, so it was dead at that point.

Hope the injectors run til I can raise enough money to get different ones. --- never liked re-built ones but looks like that would be the only way to go.

For now it has been getting me back home every night,---- slow but we get here and thats all I ask of it. I dont like the thought of walking when it does die!

DSCN0310.jpg

DSCN0311.jpg

On 3/19/2022 at 6:49 PM, Paystar5000 said:

If you think that is rusty you need to come hang out in New York for a while.  On a pickup of that year that would be excellent condition. LOL

That truck is pretty close to five winter truck in NY

On 3/20/2022 at 11:04 PM, 885 said:

I understand not being able to find truck right now. I gave up on finding a one ton truck, I found a Kodiak 5500 that was set up for a 26 foot box. Got it cheap, real cheap cause of the length and shortened the frame by drilling new holes and moving everything forward and pulling out a section of driveshaft. Needed a bed so I made a dump bed for it. It's a 8.1 gas motor but it's not my daily driver so I don't mind the fuel milage. It was cheap enough that I kept my daily driver and only use it for towing and hauling.

0526211516_HDR.jpg

Nice truck I still want one with a Duramax and 4x4 

On 3/21/2022 at 5:35 AM, iowaboy1965 said:

you cobble a generic motors pos into it.

I worked on all my landscaper friends Fords and kept telling myself as I pocketed their money

If they had bought a Chevy or a GMC with a SBC you could find a new motor in a flash for cheap money 

A well built SBC will run with any Ford gasser and be cheaper in the long run

Now if that old ford were mine it would have a 6.0 LS in it and it would likely be cheaper than the named parts to fix the power stroke 

His truck he can do what he wants 

On 3/21/2022 at 1:50 PM, DR.EVIL said:

SON might have a chance to put some miles on my '96 F250 7.3L with 5-speed.  It has a little over 320,000 miles.  Not sure how many glow plug relays and cam position sensors it's had, let's just say "Lot's. Put a Luk clutch in it around 185,000 miles. Replaced glow plugs at 200,000.  We've been in "The VALLEY OF BLACKNESS twice, maybe 3 times, last time replaced reciprocating fuel pump, gutted the fuel filter heating element, replaced ALL the hoses with new fresh from the factory fuel hose, the crap my Ford Store sold me lasted a year or two.  Last count I'd done 120+/- oil&filter changes. SON runs 10W-30 Rotella T5 year round. It uses NO oil between changes.. It over-heated any time the AC was on and if it was hot. SON replaced the waterpump for the 2nd time, new Mishimoto alum Hvy-Duty radiator, new fan clutch,

I'd have kicked this truck to the curb along time ago  

I have 99 GMC 6.0 with 270K it had a MAP sensor, alternator and fuel pump and those 3 failures were after 200K 

Biggest issue I remember with the 7.3 were leaking this and that and rotten oil pans. All of which had to have the engine pulled to address. That was a pain. 

We had many 6.9s 7..3 NA and then the turbos were introduced WOW ... all ran many many miles .... good engine, if it was me Sonny I'd repair what you have . I can relate to your past history with your SBC"s but when it comes to torque that 7.3 wins hands down . The time money aggravation to put that all together even with two trannys you still have to rev that sbc to get muscle out of it, that 7.3 would just say where and when ( if it was running the way it should be ) it's your call Sonny but dont belittle it on the premise when is not hitting on all 8 all the time ...

HP