97 F-350, 7.3

SONNY

Well after a 2 year search,--- I found a farmers son, (probably in his mid 30's,) to look at my truck. Took it to him on a monday and wednesday at 10 am he calls an says I can come get the truck as it now starts and runs. ( he said on his test drive 80 mph was no problem!!! It has NEVER ran that fast in the 8 years I have owned it!) Still needs injectors as the ones in it are getting bad but as most 7.3 parts they are NLA, so I will have to run these til they die!

He said he would keep his eyes open for some better ones. Never know what he might come across.

Trans. still dont shift right but I can live with that for now.

The reason it wouldnt start/run was that it burned up the wiring harness in the right glow plug valve cover gasket PLUS part of the main harness AGAIN after only 5,000 miles.

Main harness again NLA, so he managed to find a "repair kit" to fix it. They burn up the connectors and being an electronic motor, your dead when this happens. He said that was a MAJOR problem with most 7.3 motors. Only aftermarket harnesses are available for $800. -- totally insane!

Anyway I am still on the hunt for a gm 350 motor to replace the diesel 7.3. and I  found a 4 speed trans. out of a 1 1/2 ton truck and the complete clutch for a 350. with that and my 3 speed aux. it will have plenty of low end pulling power for my needs.

I know this 7.3 is about shot anyway with 123,000 miles on it, so may as well junk it and go gm gas 350 and be done with it.

This guy bought 2 of my neighbors junk F-250's with 7.3's in them and had both of them fixed and driveable in 4 days! They are going to use them as their farm beaters.  --- He digs right in and seams to know his stuff about 7.3's, (he  went thru a 7.3 school ) so guess he will have to keep mine running til I can find a motor.

Still have to put new rear spring hangers/brackets on it and take the partial hoist out from under the bed and install the complete one I just got on an auction. catalitic converter is broke off at the front side so might as well get rid of the exhaust system and go with a single stack from the Y-pipe to the passenger side and a foot or so above the cab with a turnout on top. I dont drive it in town anyway and it wont make that much noise to bother anything.

Anyway the total bill cost me $600. and a 706 tractor,---but what are you going to do---needed the truck BAD for this year! LOL!!

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, SONNY said:

Well after a 2 year search,--- I found a farmers son, (probably in his mid 30's,) to look at my truck. Took it to him on a monday and wednesday at 10 am he calls an says I can come get the truck as it now starts and runs. ( he said on his test drive 80 mph was no problem!!! It has NEVER ran that fast in the 8 years I have owned it!) Still needs injectors as the ones in it are getting bad but as most 7.3 parts they are NLA, so I will have to run these til they die!

He said he would keep his eyes open for some better ones. Never know what he might come across.

Trans. still dont shift right but I can live with that for now.

The reason it wouldnt start/run was that it burned up the wiring harness in the right glow plug valve cover gasket PLUS part of the main harness AGAIN after only 5,000 miles.

Main harness again NLA, so he managed to find a "repair kit" to fix it. They burn up the connectors and being an electronic motor, your dead when this happens. He said that was a MAJOR problem with most 7.3 motors. Only aftermarket harnesses are available for $800. -- totally insane!

Anyway I am still on the hunt for a gm 350 motor to replace the diesel 7.3. and I  found a 4 speed trans. out of a 1 1/2 ton truck and the complete clutch for a 350. with that and my 3 speed aux. it will have plenty of low end pulling power for my needs.

I know this 7.3 is about shot anyway with 123,000 miles on it, so may as well junk it and go gm gas 350 and be done with it.

This guy bought 2 of my neighbors junk F-250's with 7.3's in them and had both of them fixed and driveable in 4 days! They are going to use them as their farm beaters.  --- He digs right in and seams to know his stuff about 7.3's, (he  went thru a 7.3 school ) so guess he will have to keep mine running til I can find a motor.

Still have to put new rear spring hangers/brackets on it and take the partial hoist out from under the bed and install the complete one I just got on an auction. catalitic converter is broke off at the front side so might as well get rid of the exhaust system and go with a single stack from the Y-pipe to the passenger side and a foot or so above the cab with a turnout on top. I dont drive it in town anyway and it wont make that much noise to bother anything.

Anyway the total bill cost me $600. and a 706 tractor,---but what are you going to do---needed the truck BAD for this year! LOL!!

Doesn’t really sound shot if 80 is no problem on a test drive🤷‍♂️

wow, crazy, it’s completely different here, parts are available, people will fight over buying the trucks, and they are fixable. I believe that the valve cover gaskets are still available from ford, along with the sensor connector kits, or you can buy them from the original manufacturer that supplied them to the factory.    As to wiring harnesses, there are several aftermarket one available.

I will temper that with the fact that buying box store parts, such as NAPA, has results like you mentioned, and some of the quick fix companies like Dorman have horrible parts for the 7.3.  

your statement about injectors blows my mind. They are available from a huge number of vendors.  Rebuilt and new

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

your statement about injectors blows my mind. They are available from a huge number of vendors.  Rebuilt and new

Haven’t really had any problems getting anything I’ve needed. Injectors are easy to find. Think I have 16 used ones on my parts shelf here that I could rebuild if needed. I’ve skipped my ford dealer and have been getting a lot of parts from my Navistar dealer. Cheaper than the Navistar part in a Ford bag. Anything else has been easy to find in the aftermarket. I also don’t really care for the Dorman parts a usually order from one of the specialty diesel performance shops.

If it’s shot it isn’t because of the 123,000 miles.... if you smoked a harness in 5000 miles, someone was trying to cut corners and plug a new connector into a corroded one.

I know you have posted about this before and I can only guess that someone who had no idea of what they were doing worked on your truck.Any reasonably cared for 7.3 is about broken in by 123,000 miles.

All the parts you need are readily available. I'm glad to hear its running but if your "mechanic" says parts are NLA he has not done any research.

https://www.dieselogic.com/p-220-1994-1997-ford-73l-valve-cover-gasket-kit-w-glow-plugs-and-controller.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImNnltcrS9gIVyVByCh3_OgCNEAQYASABEgJuEPD_BwE

Edited by TomH
Added information
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SONNY said:

know this 7.3 is about shot anyway with 123,000 miles on it, so may as well junk it and go gm gas 350 and be done with it.

Your pulling our Leg right? 7.3 are know as million mile motors by some. I have a place near me that has injectors custom made for the 7.3 or any diesel engine for that matter. Rock auto has the valve cover harness for sure and maybe replacement main as well or repair kit. And they ain't 800 from what I recall. 

Your either funning us or your getting bad info.

• Like 3

I'm thinking this mechanic knows these motors inside and out, more than likely the trannies too. He's quick at getting them fixed, and must see some value in them if he keeps taking them in. 

My experience is if someone is calling it junk, but glad to take it off your hands, he's taking advantage of someone. There's gold still left in that bag of lucky charms 😂. Especially with as few of miles that's on it. 

My opinion of course 

Mark

• Like 3

... and if you been all this time looking for a 350 Chevy, you must be looking in the same place you’ve been looking for the injectors. Try somewhere other than Antarctica...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My alliant power catalog show valve cover gaskets and injectors for that engine.  I think they are who supplies the injectors for navistar.  You can buy a plug to plug into the valve cover gasket with all the wires in it so you can splice back into good wire.  The Dorman stuff is iffy at best.  

My 7.3 powerstroke has 245000 miles and the only thing I see bad about this pickup is the box. It runs as good as it always has. On a side note its a manual with the original clutch. Its pulled a livestock trailer for many many of those miles. 

• Like 2

You apparently live in the powerstroke black hole of America if you can't find parts, think a Chevy 350 is a better motor,  AND can't find a Chevy 350.....

Your hatred of Ford is showing badly. But hey glad you got it running, give me a shout when you decide to sell it for scrap, I love those old powerstrokes, run forever and cheap.

Here's mine from 7 years ago. It'll be coming out of winter storage this week with 327K miles on it. Quick oil change and were headed out on a 1,000 mile trip to get a planter.

2017-01-05_04-23-16.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SONNY said:

know this 7.3 is about shot anyway with 123,000 miles on it, so

3 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Your either funning us or your getting bad info

Early April fool's joke?

Seriously.

7.3's held in pretty high regard around here along with the 5.9 Cummins.

Those miles are small.

If Parts shortages, then because of current conditions not the motor itself.

• Like 1

this has too be a troll post cause the main engine harness is the only issue of getting parts for on a 7.3L powerstroke or T444E, everything else is readily available..

2 hours ago, junkandcattle said:

The old rust bucket taking care of today's project 20220319_145840.thumb.jpg.ef2dab3f4f5fc3c1e0a0926ff3487fac.jpg20220319_145718.thumb.jpg.1d72408e2c0c689c314a28d000708fae.jpg

If you think that is rusty you need to come hang out in New York for a while.  On a pickup of that year that would be excellent condition. LOL

• Like 4

well,-- it was 35 degrees today,---no way in **** it ever started for the last 8 years, so give it a try just for the **** of it,---3 runs on the wait to start light, hit starter and it ripped over twice and was runnin! NEVER in the 8 years would it ever start below 55 degrees, so this guy does know his stuff and no he dont do Dorman parts. He tries to get as close to original as possible.

Still hate 7.3's BUT its runnin and thats what I need for now! --- not trying to be hateful here, but everyone has their opinions and I do respect that fact! Thanks guys!

1 hour ago, Paystar5000 said:

If you think that is rusty you need to come hang out in New York for a while.  On a pickup of that year that would be excellent condition. LOL

That is the pretty side and the core support is fairly bad. Good old truck otherwise

32 minutes ago, SONNY said:

well,-- it was 35 degrees today,---no way in **** it ever started for the last 8 years, so give it a try just for the **** of it,---3 runs on the wait to start light, hit starter and it ripped over twice and was runnin! NEVER in the 8 years would it ever start below 55 degrees, so this guy does know his stuff and no he dont do Dorman parts. He tries to get as close to original as possible.

Still hate 7.3's BUT its runnin and thats what I need for now! --- not trying to be hateful here, but everyone has their opinions and I do respect that fact! Thanks guys!

Glad it’s working for you. There are some other forums out there that discuss these trucks and have pinned threads that deal/repair the items that Peter out on these engines. If you look around you can find answers to most of your issues that your dealing with.  They made so many that almost all the engine supporting stuff is readily available, from multiple sources.

they are a lot like some of our tractors, if they don’t get used they sure get to be finicky from just sitting.

Finally swapped engines in my 7.3 at 430000 miles and unknown hours. Mechanics truck that came from Michigan and crane and compressor are both pto driven so it ran a lot. I ran it for 7 years and most days it would run from the time I left in the morning to the time I got home so 10+ hours per day. 

1 hour ago, SONNY said:

I hate diesels myself, but those 7.3 fords have a loyalty rivaled only by 5.9 cummins. If you hate it that much you could likely move it for a tidy sum and upgrade to something more your liking. 
your truck, your choice, but seems like a hot commodity.