966 with narrow front

856 Custom

Finally got around to driving this 966 home this afternoon. Was always 5 miles from me since 1974. 3 brothers bought it new. They were all bachelor's. They milked cow's and farmed. They never hurt it any as you can see. That is the original paint. Going to join my little, but manageable collection of the 2 Hydro 70s, Hydro 100 and the Allis 185.

KIMG1315~2.JPG

KIMG1313~3.JPG

7 hours ago, Wes806 said:

That is nice. Glad to see you that you able to get it.

Wes I came close to buying it back in 2018 but declined. These fellas had a bunch of IH tractors at their passing. Ones I know of is this 966. Hydro 186, which sold first to a neighbor, 3688 that went to Kentucky. 756 diesel is still around. Super M. MTA. Maybe a H. Gas utility or so  There was more I just don't know what the rest of the smaller tractors were. Had a 715 diesel they still used.

4 minutes ago, B.B. said:

Are you going to keep it a NF?   I’d assume so being that’s gotta be a rare factory combination. 

Brian I'm not going to alter it in any way. She's been that way since 1974, she's going to stay that way. 

18 minutes ago, 856 Custom said:

Wes I came close to buying it back in 2018 but declined. These fellas had a bunch of IH tractors at their passing. Ones I know of is this 966. Hydro 186, which sold first to a neighbor, 3688 that went to Kentucky. 756 diesel is still around. Super M. MTA. Maybe a H. Gas utility or so  There was more I just don't know what the rest of the smaller tractors were. Had a 715 diesel they still used.

Nice acquisition.  Buying narrow front would save a couple hundred dollars and there were guys around here if they were buying at that time who would have done the same.  A cousin on my mother's side of the family would have done that for sure to save some money.  Any other goodies around there even if implements?  I guess I will save the best for last in that it was nice for three brothers to farm together and most likely in harmony.  Too many families fight like cats and dogs with it showing in the appearance of the equipment among other things.  

That’s cool , nice find ,if you have all the paint buffed and waxed that thing will look really nice 👍😎 It’s looks to me to have original tires so it must be low hours 🤔

Danny

Any evidence of a front mount cultivator on it? 

Don't know but I'm not sure a corn picker would work with that cab? Gotta admit that was one of my first thoughts too. Think cab would be too wide for a corn picker tho. And there would be no way, really to get in or out of the cab with a picker on.

In any case neat tractor and history. I'm glad you got it.

On 3/18/2022 at 7:49 AM, DirtBoyz07 said:

That’s cool , nice find ,if you have all the paint buffed and waxed that thing will look really nice 👍😎 It’s looks to me to have original tires so it must be low hours 🤔

Danny

Danny it's got 2997 hour's

On 3/18/2022 at 7:29 AM, 766 Man said:

Nice acquisition.  Buying narrow front would save a couple hundred dollars and there were guys around here if they were buying at that time who would have done the same.  A cousin on my mother's side of the family would have done that for sure to save some money.  Any other goodies around there even if implements?  I guess I will save the best for last in that it was nice for three brothers to farm together and most likely in harmony.  Too many families fight like cats and dogs with it showing in the appearance of the equipment among other things.  

You might have something there, because money was saved on the rear of it too with just a single remote. Lol! But that wasn't super abnormal though, but by '74 one would think dual remotes would be getting more common. Especially on the 1066s and bigger.

Archived