560 Diesel Compression

I jave a 560D that i am repairing to sell. About two years ago, it developed a miss and since I had just bought my 1586, it sat by the fence. Well I pulled the head and found that the #3 injector came apart. Since head was off, I had it rebuilt with new exhaust valves etc. Reinstalled head and still had a miss and would throw oil from exhaust a little. It did that a little two years ago if you let it idle too long before pulling it, but i ASSUMES THAT THAT WAS FROM THE BAD INJECTOR. So I borrowed a compression tester(should have done this before pulling the head) and fornd all to be 300-335 lbs except #2 whuich was 185. Then I put #2 piston at TDCremoved valve cover to make sure valves were not tight and applied air . Air comes out the exhaust manifold so I guess either something got under valve or machine shop error. Head comes off today. Are the other figures acceptabkle? I would like to sell it as I don't have much need for it now, but hate to sell it as good if its not. Thanks, Rob

How long has the 560 been used since the valve and head work? I am wondering if a piece of carbon or something got caught under a valve and is causing the exhaust leak. If that is the case, they usually come out of it after awhile. Did you check compression through the glow plug hole? Maybe some carbon was dislodged when removing the glow plug. Some mechanics will loosen all the plugs and then tighten them up and then run the engine awhile before removing the plugs and checking compression because of the loose carbon. You said the valves are not set too tight. If the injectors are all set to spec and the head gasket is good (so it is not coolant you are seeing spitting out the exhaust), it is possible the old girl had its fuel pump set up so it slobbers a little fuel out the exhaust when not working hard. Good luck.

It has been run about 3 hours around the yard and down the road a little. I was thinking that also it could be a chunk of something under the valve but it doesn't seem to get any better by running it longer. I didn't get head off yet, caught a stomach flu bug, but maybe I'll get to it today. Can the head gasket be used over again since it has very little running time on it? Also, this tractor had a turbo on it when I bought it but has been removed. I set the pump back a little by adjusting the leaf spring in the pump. It just started spitting something out the exhaust the last few months we were using it, so I wonder if it needs something else, like an overhaul to stop the oil or fuel slobbering Thanks, Rob

It has been run about 3 hours around the yard and down the road a little. I was thinking that also it could be a chunk of something under the valve but it doesn't seem to get any better by running it longer. I didn't get head off yet, caught a stomach flu bug, but maybe I'll get to it today. Can the head gasket be used over again since it has very little running time on it? Also, this tractor had a turbo on it when I bought it but has been removed. I set the pump back a little by adjusting the leaf spring in the pump. It just started spitting something out the exhaust the last few months we were using it, so I wonder if it needs something else, like an overhaul to stop the oil or fuel slobbering Thanks, Rob

Definatly put a new head gasket in it while you have it apart! :blink:

I see no point in saving a few bucks and chancing a blown head gasket (or one down the road when the new owner gets it and puts it to work :angry: )

Just my .02 worth :P

Archived