When You Live In That "Magical Land" Where The Climate Is "Just Right", There Is No Need For

Either a heater or air conditioning:

Automotive News reports that Ford plans to begin shipping some Ford Explorers without the chips that power rear air conditioning and heating controls as the worldwide microchip shortage continues to affect auto and tech industries. Ford plans to ship missing chips to dealers within one year which will be installed in customers’ vehicles after purchase.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2022/03/15/iou-1-microchip-ford-to-ship-explorer-suvs-missing-chips-due-to-shortage/

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

The Subaru owners manual describes “normal” and “severe” driving conditions, normal being anywhere not getting below 32F and above 80F (so maybe somewhere in Scotland ) and anywhere that gets beyond those 2 as severe. If you drive your Subaru in an area that sees “severe” driving conditions you pretty much void your warranty. 
perhaps ford is on board with this train of thought. 

• Confused 1

lf l was to spend that kind of money on a new vehicle everything on it would work before l even drive it off the dealer's lot or l wouldn't buy it.

• Like 4

......thats us, down under....but I will never be abl e to "afford'  a truck like that...as long as my rectal  orifice points groundwards......:(

Mike

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, gearheadmb said:

Maybe somebody should tell them about a magical time when heaters and air conditioners didnt need a computer chip to work.

👍

To be fair, the article does state the rear a/c will still be controlled via the front console... so it just means the kids in the back won't have a hvac knob to mess with or break.

Maybe these chip shortages will help simplify some things in new vehicles.... not every passenger needs a climate zone and personal theater to get around. 

• Like 7

Ahh yes bring back those magical years of the 50's & 60's early 70's. Things started getting all wonky mid 70's onwards with lathe lectric controlled stuff. Used to be you could patch it up enough to get home with a crescent, hammer, screwdrivers and a pair of pliers. I remember replacing the fuel pump diaphragm with a piece of inner tube. & some tie wire. It worked mostly. Now you not only need the wrench turners but the entire tech dept as well. Air conditioning was 2- 60 and the heater was the valve toilet hot water flow to the inner radiator and power steering was by Armstrong.

I just watched a Mecum Auto Auction selling many famous cars. One was the 1965 Shelby GT driven by Ken Miles, restored. Went for a mere 3 mil. Now try doing that and instilling inspiration and excitement with a lectric car. 😝 Yeah, that'll really get your heart pumping eh!

My uncle Joe was in the navy during WWII like dad. After  the war he was discharged in California. He liked it and stayed. He bought a new falcon Ranchero in 65? It didn't have AC or heat. He was living in the greater LA area.

He said it was paradise. The weather always nice. No heat or ac needed!

I saw the car several times.

Thx-Ace 

17 hours ago, gearheadmb said:

Maybe somebody should tell them about a magical time when heaters and air conditioners didnt need a computer chip to work.

"Toggle switches! " has been my mantra for a few weeks whenever something electrical or computer controlled won't work around here. "Toogle switches!!!!!!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Art From Coleman said:

I remember looking at a new 1987-88 Ford pickup at the dealer in Kalkaska, MI, that did not have air conditioning.

My dad bought a new 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 that did not have AC . . . wasn’t ordered either  . . . was on the dealer’s lot that way . . . out in SD.  Crank windows and manual trans too.  

Before 1980 most pickups and almost all Bob trucks in the south did not have AC. Dad's first pickup with AC was a 77 dodge club cab d150, 318 and 3 on the tree. We thought we were something with AC in a pickup.

I guess the transition was probably from about 77 to 82. Round here AC was super rare Before 77 in pickups. After 82 it was rare to have a pickup that didn't have AC. Between 77 and 82 there was alot of both.

I can't remember seeing a local pickup without factory AC after 1982. I've seen plenty with AC that didn't work though...

The first Bob trucks I saw with AC was in the early 80s. Our crop duster bought a new c60 setup to load fertilizer, spray, fuel, etc. His daughter, a bombshell married to my cousin, helped him. He ordered it with AC for her. Man she looked good loading the plane wearing short shorts and tee shirt. 

By 90 AC was standard on all Bob trucks here but again many don't work.

Thx-Ace 

My 95 3500 doesn’t have it, nor does my 98 wrangler. When I bought my 07’ 1500 it didn’t have it. When I bought my 07’ 2500 dad bullied me into getting A/C, that truck had the nicer seats, so it was probably a win. 

20 hours ago, N S said:

Used to be you could patch it up enough to get home with a crescent, hammer, screwdrivers and a pair of pliers.

But you HAD to patch it up... That's the difference. Those old cars of the 50's 60's 70's would leave you on the side of the road guaranteed.

When is the last time your vehicle made in the last 30 years has left you on the side of the road, stranded? I'm not talking limp mode or throwing a code. Those will still get you where you need to go. I'm talking engine quits, won't start, needs a tow.

Last time it happened to me was with a 1997 Chevy truck, in 2002.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

But you HAD to patch it up... That's the difference. Those old cars of the 50's 60's 70's would leave you on the side of the road guaranteed.

When is the last time your vehicle made in the last 30 years has left you on the side of the road, stranded? I'm not talking limp mode or throwing a code. Those will still get you where you need to go. I'm talking engine quits, won't start, needs a tow.

See this post....

8 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

See this post....

So? One guy here out of how many thousands of members had a problem.

If we had this site in 1965, half the posts here would be about their car quitting on the road and having to mess with points or the carburetor to get home.

26 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

There have been many an in tank electric fuel pump that quit and left folks stranded by the road , parking lot ect. 

Our Dodge  Intrepid wouldn't start in below zero weather when nearly new. It had to be towed.

Know a guy who replaced wheel bearings in his wife's car in the Orielys parking lot while on a road trip several hours from home. 

Careful with your rose colored glasses. They all break. 😉

17 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

There have been many an in tank electric fuel pump that quit and left folks stranded by the road , parking lot ect. 

Our Dodge  Intrepid wouldn't start in below zero weather when nearly new. It had to be towed.

Know a guy who replaced wheel bearings in his wife's car in the Orielys parking lot while on a road trip several hours from home. 

Careful with your rose colored glasses. They all break. 😉

I never said it doesn't happen.

It just doesn't happen with alarming (by today's standards) regularity like it did with cars from the 50's - 70's.

You didn't just know someone who knew someone who got left on the side of the road. You WERE that someone who got left on the side of the road!

Modern vehicles simply do not break down nearly as often as cars from that era did. That kind of reliability would be considered UNACCEPTABLE by today's standards, and there would be **** to pay if cars were that bad (by today's standards).

5 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I never said it doesn't happen.

It just doesn't happen with alarming (by today's standards) regularity like it did with cars from the 50's - 70's.

You didn't just know someone who knew someone who got left on the side of the road. You WERE that someone who got left on the side of the road!

Modern vehicles simply do not break down nearly as often as cars from that era did. That kind of reliability would be considered UNACCEPTABLE by today's standards, and there would be **** to pay if cars were that bad (by today's standards).

We will have to agree to disagree.  I grew up riding in and driving a lot of those cars. I will agree they have gotten better but I don't recall as it happening nearly as often as it would appear by your statements above. Perhaps the 50s cars came closer to your opinion. 

57 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

My 2010 Ford Focus that I use as my parts getter left me stranded yesterday. Why? The thermostat housing/upper radiator hose outlet broke and dumped all the antifreeze. Why would it break you ask? Because it is made out of plastic. What a great idea, what could go wrong?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

I remember looking at a new 1987-88 Ford pickup at the dealer in Kalkaska, MI, that did not have air conditioning.

My 1st F-350, a 99 did not have AC. I ordered it that way, saved right at $1000

I don't own a vehicle with working AC but they all sure better have heaters here in Sask. The 97 Blazer did have working AC for a year or two but it quit and I didn't need it bad enough to spend any money getting it diagnosed or fixed. Farm equipment is a different story. Tractors, combines,, swathers, AC better be working. 

On 3/16/2022 at 1:31 PM, gearheadmb said:

I say that all the time. Especially with equipment. No operator I have ever dealt with complained that they couldn't set the exact temperature... Most were just happy to have a/c period. 

3 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Why yes Matt I HAD to fix it. But at least I could fix it. Unlike those today where you need a computer to tell you what needs fixing and then a 3 year tech degree to decipher the codes and an electronics degree to replace the broken relays. and al it was w to begin with was a loose belt causing overheating, which gave the puter convulsions.

I'm not saying the modern stuff isn't better, it is in multiple ways, it's simply much more complicated than it needs to be getting from point A to point B. A horse, donkey, oxen & cart or a mule, even your feet will get there as well. The drawback of the horse, donkey, mule, oxen, ya gotta feed the buggers whether you use em or not. The car or truck, not so much. And either way you're gonna be feeding the engine driving the feet.