New truck tires 1500 4x4

Probably the longest lasting set of tires I remember on the farm were the 12 ply bias ground grips that came on dad’s 81 f250 4X4 when he bought it new. Can’t remember how many years they lasted.  Ride quality however wasn’t quite as smooth as some other tires.😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hot Plug said:

So Seth .... are you saying you cant get 38 mpg out of a 1 ton diezel ?

You live in the mountains don"t cha ahhh  yeah I forgot .... theres a big part of your problem ....  I bet if you only drove down hills  you get better than 38 mpg !!  Yup !!! LoL !  

f23ecd70d.png.dd8d1a9c33ce2637852d70b09e1d3876.png

HP  🇨🇦

Hey!!! That’s my emoji! Of me! Where did you steal that from?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

Hey!!! That’s my emoji! Of me! Where did you steal that from?

From something you sent me of course !! I'd rather have people on here looking for you than me Dale !!😁😁😁😉

You never know , some day I might be headed to another round up !!  🤔

HP 

• Haha 3

For what it's worth I had my 2003 Jeep Wrangler stock Goodyear tires having better traction at 80,000 miles than a brand new set of Toyo's similar tread design. Their compound is to hard, especially in snow.

Recently replaced tires on my 05 dodge 3500 with General A/Tx and they appear pretty good. Just a wee bit harder riding. Toss up between them and Pirelli Scorpions same tread. The tires I replaced were BF Goordrich AT, but were a full $100 per tire cheaper with the same warranty. I also like the Firestone XT "stronger800" shows. Everybody's got their own parameters and preferences and criteria they need to meet. Whatever you choose, you'll probably not like em anyway and the search for the ideal tire will continue, so ya might as well throw all the candidates in a hat, reach in and pick one, chances are it'll be wrong too. Better yet, let your dog pick out a set, then you can kick him around the house and blame him.

• Haha 1

I’m always on that quest for a better tire.  Here’s a set of Michelin LT/X AT….oem on a ‘19 superduty….28,700 on them, and I sure wouldn’t drive them in the snow.  Up against a Firestone XT of the same size 

Holy molly "stronger800", thats a lot of wear for a Michelin with only 28,700 miles. That is nothing like the reputation Michelin has for tread wear. Given the choice between the 2 at new I'd opt for the Firestone, especially since Michelin would cost appreciably more at the get go. And I'll bet the more aggressive tread design performs much better in all situations and will give at least close to equal tread wear. Perhaps even better, than a comparable Michelin. 

• 2 weeks later...

Was wandering through car lot yesterday,  found these on a new Rubicon,  nice tire!  Imagine they would be loud and wear quick on regular road travel?  Because they are mud tire.

20220403_142202.thumb.jpg.373857383af9ac42fd091a8204da2f1e.jpg20220403_142243.thumb.jpg.aced9459847bde3d4bb58b1b764b20c0.jpg

1 hour ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Was wandering through car lot yesterday,  found these on a new Rubicon,  nice tire!  Imagine they would be loud and wear quick on regular road travel?  Because they are mud tire.

20220403_142202.thumb.jpg.373857383af9ac42fd091a8204da2f1e.jpg20220403_142243.thumb.jpg.aced9459847bde3d4bb58b1b764b20c0.jpg

those days are long gone for me, LOUD, quick wearing, cupping prone, poor wet and snow traction, nope not even a lil bit interested, i like an all season/terrain tire now days - lotsa miles and great all around traction just dont jump off in a deep mud hole - nothing works as good as a deep lug in mud provided you can spin them

These said sidewall 3 ply, made in Thailand,  load rating C

20220403_142207.thumb.jpg.773658643de4e3aef36ea9af19273047.jpg

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2022 at 6:11 PM, Rusty shackleford said:

I just put these falkon at3w on my gmc, looks nice, closer together tread then some all terains and 55k rated. So far I like em

Screenshot_20220316-170940_Messenger.jpg

Got a price on these yesterday,  installed 4 of them, $1,600.00 Canadian.... didnt think it was too bad of a price?  6 ply.  

Anyone else running these in a stock set up for their 1/2 ton?

Most other tires seem to be out of stock in my area or an absolute ridiculous price.

Its only rubber!  When can we start growing rubber trees in North America?

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Got a price on these yesterday,  installed 4 of them, $1,600.00 Canadian.... didnt think it was too bad of a price?  6 ply.  

Most other tires seem to be out of stock in my area or an absolute ridiculous price.

Not that tire model but I ran 2 sets of Falken Ziex on our yukon that was a 50k tire which both sets gave us about 60k miles.  And my mom had falken on her nissan and they did over the rated mileage as well.  So, I have had good luck with that brand.  

• Thanks 1

I have not bought tires since December, but I believe i was 1075.00 M+B+disposal for 10 ply 18” on my 3/4 ton, so that sounds like a lot. 

Have to remember we get hosed on a lot of things on Canada!

3 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Thats seems like alot, but I guess everything is higher every day. I would go with at least an 8 ply on a half ton though. Anyone I know with a newer truck switches from the stock 6 ply pretty quick. Seem to always be going low in the winter, and gravel sure kills them here.

A month or so ago I picked up a new set of 10 ply to have on hand for my 3/4 ton. They were 50 bucks a tire more than not even a year ago, but still under 1000 bucks after taxes. Although, I do install myself. And they are also not Falken's

• Like 1

You are my laugh at me but I don't buy new tires anymore. I have a great used tire place near where I work and I can buy like new Michelins LTX for $75 a piece mounted.  Most still have the bumps from the little tits on the tread and the flashing between the lugs.  I put new tires on the wife's car but I'm willing to take the risk on my trucks. It saves me a whole lot of money.

• Haha 1

Just now, Rawleigh99 said:

You are my laugh at me but I don't buy new tires anymore. I have a great used tire place near where I work and I can buy like new Michelins for $75 mounted.  I put new tires on the wife's car but I'm willing to take the risk on my trucks. It saves me a whole lot of money.

I bought used a few times, was a lot cheaper but I found myself jerking around changing tires a lot, checking casing dates etc. end of the day its a dedication and the billable hours spent trying to save a couple bucks aren’t, so we run them till they are shot and then call the tire shop. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

You are my laugh at me but I don't buy new tires anymore. I have a great used tire place near where I work and I can buy like new Michelins LTX for $75 a piece mounted.  Most still have the bumps from the little tits on the tread and the flashing between the lugs.  I put new tires on the wife's car but I'm willing to take the risk on my trucks. It saves me a whole lot of money.

We used to run used tires here alot, but it seems like whatever sizes we run so does everybody else because there's hardly any around. Then it would be just whatever brand is available. And like VT said it turned into changing tires alot more that it should've been. For what I can find new tires for it isn't worth the hassle to save a few bucks a tire. And anything pretty new guys want more than what they are worth new. Been there, done that. If it works for ya, awesome! 

A old 89 Ford 250 I pull trailers with but never get far from home ripped a sidewall on already smooth tire last week. The fronts where not bald but old could go any day.  So I called a local shop that is very old time. They had at least 2 choices in stock in 285 16's highway tread the China ones 340 or Cooper 445. As I will not wear them out before they rot I went China. 

But the fact he had inventory and I had choice the day I needed one was pleasant surprise. I am wondering if being closer to the ports and several huge tire warehouses in the state if our supply is a bit better on some things. Tractor supply has been low on oil, but always something. 

• Sad 1

On 5/19/2022 at 9:42 AM, Mountain Heritage said:

Same ones I put on my F350 diesel last fall. 285 75 18 load range E. Was just shy of 1800 installed with taxes. I like them. Also have had a set on my F250 for a couple years now. Doesn’t see a lot of miles, but are lasting well so far.

• Like 1

I got a price for the 8 ply's 275/60R20 in the Wildpeaks - $1800.00 installed. 

Really thinking about going with the 8 ply and hoping I'll get another 100k out of these tires?  You find they are decent in mud/snow?  Yard at the farm gets kinda snotty in the spring, need something that will clean out good.  Even in the fields its a bit dicey sometimes, like to know I have some tread that will get through with little or no trouble.  Certainly not out mud'n with them - but when not running black top or gravel - I'm in the fields.

I also used to play the used tire game. Haven’t done that for a few years now except for a set of 9.5 X 16.5s on my flat deck gooseneck. Next set of tires for it will be going on new 16” wheels.