Winter wheat options

SJH

So I planted a 110 acres of yamhill soft white winter wheat the next dry spell I'm going to put some fertilizer on it . It's going to be interesting on what I do with it round bale or combine it and big straw bales . 

What are you're guys thoughts 🤔

Not sure what you are asking?

If it makes flour, harvest it!  Crap keeps going on over yonder, they will be begging for flour come fall.  Your wheat might be worth a lot?

• Like 1

My throughs are that if you've already planted it, if the price of heat holds, and indications are with the state of Ukraine and wheat availability being a mite short, feel the wheat and bale or turn under the leftover and sell the straw.

I still got 1 ft of snow on the ground and am planning on wheat planting. But that depends on where the price of fuel etc. is in another month. May have to just call it a day and go fishin.

But that's just my $.03 cents worth, inflation ya know. Not that my opinion is actually worth that much. If I didn't make bad decisions I wouldn't be making any at all.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SJH said:

So I planted a 110 acres of yamhill soft white winter wheat the next dry spell I'm going to put some fertilizer on it . It's going to be interesting on what I do with it round bale or combine it and big straw bales . 

What are you're guys thoughts 🤔

Go for the Gold!!  Then bale it.

Normally I would say the straw will yield more money than the wheat. At least in my area anyway. This year you might just come out good by combining it and baling the straw. I've even considered round baling my straw and building a makeshift stationary square baler. Watched alot of videos on guys building them out of tread mills or spinning the straw off.  My area a square bale of straw will easily fetch $7 if its clean and bright. 

1 hour ago, Missouri Mule said:

Normally I would say the straw will yield more money than the wheat. At least in my area anyway. This year you might just come out good by combining it and baling the straw. I've even considered round baling my straw and building a makeshift stationary square baler. Watched alot of videos on guys building them out of tread mills or spinning the straw off.  My area a square bale of straw will easily fetch $7 if its clean and bright. 

Small squares of straw usually are cheap here.  Most of the horse people have moved to shavings.  Big bales currently $120ish per ton.  Stationary baling sucks without the proper bale feeder.  We do a bunch of it making a bale size that fits 50 to a pallet for the fall pumpkins type markets.  Not sure why the pic is sideways.  The wagon pic is field baled.  We would much rather field bale but we only have so much capacity and time is of the essence for soybean planting.

KIMG0725.thumb.JPG.5791892c894974639b4da87f7583f31f.JPG

KIMG0509.JPG

Small squares here get good money, the problem is people only want two or three bales at a time. You end up making a thousand trips to collect it all $20 at a time. As expensive as storage, machinery and labor is it would take more than $7 to get me to bale it that way. If the wheat doesn’t make money here it’s not worth doing. The straw is good if you can sell it, but it’s a headache at best. 

Guy I knew had a 10 bale minimum for hay.  What hay I sell I don't deliver. They come to me. Any who ask I tell them I dont have the equipment or time to deliver. Both true. I have had people get 1 bale for their kids rabbit or what ever. If they come to me I will sell them 1. Has only happened a few times tho.

I would bet if you look closer to town and make a few calls square bales of straw are higher than you think. My buddy worked out a deal with a couple places in town to where they sold it. He would bring them a trailer load at a time until it was gone. Worked out good for everyone.