Starter rebuild

MacAR

I'm having some trouble with the Starter on the old 300. It's growling, but still starts ok. The local shop wants $285 plus tax to rebuild it completely. I'm thinking about ordering the parts and rebuilding it myself, seems pretty straightforward to me. Has anyone else done this? Thoughts on places for parts? Any input is appreciated. 

Mac

https://www.romaineelectric.com/

If you have an ohm meter you probably will be able to pick up if there are issues with the armature or field coils. You really need a growler to test an armature and do it correctly, pretty sure you do not have one sitting on your shelf or you would not be asking about rebuilding the starter. Take lots of pictures as you take it apart and mark the cases as to how they go together and you should be fine.

• Thanks 1

They aren't that hard to rebuild new bushings , new starter drive , brushes Highly doubt you have any issues with the field windings or the armature unless you see damage I've rebuild them years ago and always had good luck

• Thanks 1

Starters are like most things, they will run a very long time if maintained.

Depending on use, but if a starter gets new brushes and bushings every ten years, they will run and run.

NAPA used to be good at getting the correct bushings and brushes. Advance Auto may be an option too.

You may need to go online now.

You can test things if you want but if it is starting now and maybe being a bit slow, brushes and bushings usually fix it.

I wouldn't replace a starter drive unless the old one fails. The new ones are crap!

Put a small amount of grease in each bushing, too.

It will run forever?

• Thanks 1

Not hard to do at all. I like to clean up the commutator on a small lathe so it has good contact with the brush. Make sure you have GOOD cables.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the help, fellas. I think I'll go for new brushes and bushings for now, along with a good cleaning and maybe dressing the drive if it's worn or chipped. The ePay seller has what I need, and for $21 I think I'll take a chance. Worst case I'll have to put it in a box and use the hand crank til it's fixed. Many thanks again!

Mac

• Like 1
  • Haha 1