Soil test question

Absent Minded Farmer

What is rotational pH? I'm going to venture a guess that it has something to do with crop rotation, but what exactly?

Thanks!

Mike

• Confused 1

On 3/11/2022 at 9:43 AM, Absent Minded Farmer said:

What is rotational pH? I'm going to venture a guess that it has something to do with crop rotation, but what exactly?

Thanks!

Mike

That link didn't work for me, but whaddevah.

I'm guessing you're right in that it has to do with crop rotation. I'm just guessing here but soil PH is either acidic or alkaline. Some crops push it one way or the other and if its to much one way or the other your rotation crop, and fertilizer input, should push it the way it needs to be for optimum soil PH. That's why soil samples are actually somewhat important. That would make sense to me, but then whaddaeyeknow.

There is a program on RFD TV (Dish channel 231) called "AG PHD" that covers a lot of this type stuff as well as fertilizers, herbicides, etc. Pretty interesting but they move so fast I get lost. Lots. Penn State has good info and I'm sure other universities do as well. I do know that optimum soil makeup can make or break your crop harvest what ever crop you have planted. Maybe check with your state university Ag Extension office for a sounding board or further info. 

not Shure what happened

wen it was posted it talked about crop rotation and herbicide use and effects to following crops.

had charts to use

Mike

First time I ever heard of it too.

Knew about carryover from herbicides - didn't know that's what it was called.  Yes, some of the ones used in corn can be nasty and effect crops like wheat and barley very easily.  Thankfully I've never had to deal with that issue as of yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this is what I got from UW Madison, "Rotational pH is the target pH for the crops in a selected rotation. If the field will stay in pasture, use the recommendation from the soil test report for pasture".  Seems N S is on the ball with that.

Many thanks, everyone for the help.

Mike

• Thanks 1