Farmall lift

MinnesotaFarmall

Yes, the pneumatic lift system was available on the A and B Farmalls.  It was an alternative to hand lift on those machines not available with hydraulic power.   The Char Lynn PTO power unit was a popular add on to provide hydraulic power too.

My Farmall B has the exhaust lift. 

20150627_152807-EFFECTS.jpg

20150627_152753.jpg

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

I have a friend who has an A with that lift.  I understand they would rot out over time from the exhaust gas.

And it is for sale!    Still sitting in my building untouched ever since I bought it.

The Minnepolis Moline 2 row RTU tractor had a 2 row lift system for implements, it was live lift,It worked whenever the engine was running, clutched or not, just like the IH B,  the RTU & IH B were 2 row tractors didn't use any power when between lifts, like todays systems, but were built in 1939.   However the rtu MM  was independent right and left sides, or simuitaneously & didn't use hydraulic oil, how did it work?

Accually I guess it's a kind of a trick question. the farmall B, used exhaust, & the MM RTU used engine oil. so at what point did the engine oil become hydraulic oil?, 🤔 pumped by  a 2 piston pump, operated off cams on the cam shaft,that only pumped when the operator triped a lever.  Flacualence on that exhaust lift sounds more like the way that Farmall B system would work.

• Haha 1

Some pretty amazing engineering way back when. Exhaust lift is a form of hydraulic lift only using gas instead of oil. I have seen water lifts using the weight of the water itself to lift water higher than its source, using a similar principle. Can't explain exactly how it works but watched it do its thing. Sure nuff, water raised itself, although it took a fair bit of time.

On 3/12/2022 at 12:49 AM, Fred B said:

Accually I guess it's a kind of a trick question. the farmall B, used exhaust, & the MM RTU used engine oil. so at what point did the engine oil become hydraulic oil?, 🤔 pumped by  a 2 piston pump, operated off cams on the cam shaft,that only pumped when the operator triped a lever.  Flacualence on that exhaust lift sounds more like the way that Farmall B system would work.

Long as you use 303 its all the same.