Head gasket sealant

Roschro

Hello all,

It’s been 9 years and 4 kids since my last post on my ‘51 W-4 engine rebuild. I’ve got more projects than time but I want to pick up where I left off and complete the engine build to make room on the workbench for the next project (body swap ‘64 Ford F-350 onto ‘96 Dodge 2500 Cummins frame).

For my W-4, I’ve got my short block done. Head is at the shop getting valve guides pressed in. Weekend project is mating head to block. Question is, are guys using a sealant on head gaskets when installing?

I follow Squatch253 on YouTube who put sealant on a felpro gasket on his M. My gasket looks a bit different.

All feedback welcome.

Thanks,

Is gasket new? Age of it, Felpro isn't getting good reviews lately, light coats of aluminum paint has been used successfully for years others like thin copper products

You've been busy and not all of it in the shed 😁

Lol. Thanks Hardtail. There’s worse things to spend doing during a pandemic for sure.

Talking head gaskets though, thanks for the advise. I had a look at my head gasket and it’s an aluminum with copper inserts around the water jacket holes and a soft foam in between the two aluminum pieces. So it seems to be designed to be fairly forgiving.

so is a gasket prep or sealant even a requirement? 

On 3/16/2022 at 9:52 PM, Roschro said:

so is a gasket prep or sealant even a requirement? 

Most frequent reply to this question is to either use a sealant called COPPER-COAT, or plain old aluminum paint.  Proper torturing of the head,  order or sequence, in steps, and starting engine, getting up to temp and re-torquing are all important steps.

Thanks guys. I contemplated no sealant but I’ll pick up some of the copper spray a gasket. Then I can sleep at night.

Both head and block surface have been machined so I should get a good fit.

2B463D64-ABCC-4DC7-93F0-6362545E2993.jpeg

BB8B7AA3-58BB-4521-86EC-491E4AEA8509.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 6:26 PM, Binderoid said:

Strange pattern on the head, looks like they used a belt sander

the same thing i thought when i saw that head resurface job. it should be a lot smoother that that. i use permatex high tack sealer on my head gaskets. i have never used copper coat in my life and have done a lot of engines. techically when both surfaces are done u dont need anything but the gasket. plus lots of gaskets have the sealer built  right into them.  it works once the engine gets to operating temperature. that finish looks rough meaning scratchy. a milling machine dont do that.

Ya I admit the head surface looks different. I don't know what tool was used. I know it was milled .002" and level but that was years ago now. Since I've picked up the project again, I took it in to get valve guides installed and 2 cracks were repaired and the surface 'cleaned up'.

@rustred, I've got some permatex high tack sealer so I'll go with that. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/18/2022 at 7:40 AM, Binderoid said:

That head was probably tortured many times in the last 60 years 

MAN I HATE auto-correct! It doesn't change a letter or two, but changes the entire danged word!  I of course meant "properly torqued".  Sorry I let that slip by.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DR.EVIL said:

MAN I HATE auto-correct! It doesn't change a letter or two, but changes the entire danged word!  I of course meant "properly torqued".  Sorry I let that slip by.

In 60 years it is quite possible it was also tortured. 😆

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, midnightman said:

In 60 years it is quite possible it was also tortured. 😆

TRUE, but with a little machine work to true up the sealing surface it'll be good for another 60 years.  The H/W4 heads don't seem to have the cracking problems the M/W6 and W9/WD9 heads have.

I have all this same work to look forward to, my '54 Super H has never had the head or oil pan off, never been overhauled.  I've got new old stock IH FireCrater sleeves, pistons, & rings to install, need to buy all the small parts, seals, gaskets, bearings, yet.

3 hours ago, DR.EVIL said:

I have all this same work to look forward to, my '54 Super H has never had the head or oil pan off, never been overhauled.  I've got new old stock IH FireCrater sleeves, pistons, & rings to install, need to buy all the small parts, seals, gaskets, bearings, yet.

Will be good for another 70 years once you get it done.