Feed grinder with hay table grinding grain

Reichow7120

Just like the post says. Anyone ever either taken the hat table on a grinder and either add a drop table or some type of augers to drop it into the grain hopper on the grinder?

The auction I have in another post has a New Holland 359 grinder there. That thing hasn't been used enough to say so. Paint was still on the unload augers fighting. I don't think the supplement hopper had ever been used, the grain hopper on top had hardly used. Even the hay table hadn't seen much use. 

The hay table has led to this grinder having a ridiculous low price for as little use as its seen. 3100 currently with under a day left in the online sale. There is a well used New Holland 358 with the grain drop table. It has seen a lot of use but still has life left in it. It is already going for 5200 with the same amount of time left in the sale. 

I know you can set up a auger from the bin but our set up would require it to be taken down each time after grinding. Manhandling a 15 ft 4 inch auger ( the shortest auger we have on the farm) each time sounds no fun. Just looking for options to see if this grinder is feasible at the right price 

The first picture is of the grinder. 2 second is of the setup where the hopper is. I should have taken pictures of the grinder but wasn't thinking at the time. 

18611087_6.jpg

img.jpeg-2.jpg

• Like 1

I have a 357 Dad bought in 79, its getting thin but still functions fine. It has the loading auger. around early 90s i converted it to hyd drive. Here is what i would do to change to auger feed  on these grinders, of course my plan might change upon in person look.  I would remove the table, cover the opening where the table feeds the hammermill with a HEAVY piece of flat steel that could support a swivel/pivot point for a hyd drive auger similar to one that on a gravity wagon. Transport with it swiveled back setting on the fender after you put a fender on, would require fabricating a hopper & swivel. Just a thought.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 1480x3 said:

I have a 357 Dad bought in 79, its getting thin but still functions fine. It has the loading auger. around early 90s i converted it to hyd drive. Here is what i would do to change to auger feed  on these grinders, of course my plan might change upon in person look.  I would remove the table, cover the opening where the table feeds the hammermill with a HEAVY piece of flat steel that could support a swivel/pivot point for a hyd drive auger similar to one that on a gravity wagon. Transport with it swiveled back setting on the fender after you put a fender on, would require fabricating a hopper & swivel. Just a thought.

This sounds like a great idea

• Like 1

Why not just build a small portable auger from some unwanted piece of bent auger?

Something you could just set under the unloader and move when needed. That way you don't cobble up a nice grinder. There are always bent augers round here to cut a section out of and fab up.

Maybe y'all don't have as much junk round y'all's place like I do. 

Thx-Ace 

A drill-fill augur, and just run the grain in on the existing hay table.

It doesn't look like it would be too big a job to make a wheeled support, with a saddle and bands to hold the tube in place.

Or, even to mount it on the side of the grinder-mixer.

images.jpg.c49d87be60601bbca41e3256f98cbbff.jpg

I've got a 6" auger and the hopper off our old Yetter grain cleaner I kept after I dismantled the cleaner. Driven by orbit motor. We used to take it off the cleaner and use it to dump into the old Cardinal 8"x56' back in the day. Dad made a tripod out of used fence posts and hung the auger on it with a small chain. Poor Man's swing away was what it was. Sure made it nice to pull wagons up to and leave them hooked together without the pain of getting it just right for unloading. You were closer I'd just give it to you. Thing probably be lucky to bring $5 at a consignment. All youd have to do is make something like 1480x3 said and fasten the auger on the grinder and run it off tractor hydraulics

Not sure about New Holland but Gehl grinders were all the same basic machine,the other ideas would work fine also but i would think you should be able to buy this grinder and find a loading auger off a worn out grinder and make the switch.

• Like 3

Well. It went for more money than the drop table 358 so it ended up not being the steal we were hoping for. 

10,120 for it then add a 10% buyers premium to that price. By the time we threw money at it to make it work the way we want it to it wasn't worth it for us.

The 358 with the drop table went for 9,570 plus the 10%. We walked on that one to considering the condition. 

Back to the drawing board I guess.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, 801486 said:

Gehl grinders with a hay table came with a hydraulic driven bent auger, at least every one I've ever seen.

Have had a Gehl 135 on the farm for years. Bale feeder, no auger 

I bought a decent 355 this fall for $1000 or was it 1200. N9 table or auger. It's not been used much and barn kept but the paint is not nearly as nice. It's been doing It's job fine but has a knocking sound in the hammer mill or fan. Thx-Ace 

21 hours ago, 801486 said:

Gehl grinders with a hay table came with a hydraulic driven bent auger, at least every one I've ever seen.

Yes you are correct, what i was getting at is the mill itself was identical so you could take the hay table off and replace it with a swinging auger feeder. We sold several with the hay table but they held little to no resale value when traded in so we would order in an SAF [swinging auger feeder ] attachment and install it in place of the PBF or power bale feeder as Gehl called them. Back then a lot of people still ground ear corn and the 6" bent auger wouldn't work.

Have never seen a grinder/mixer in my area with the bale feeder like that either.  I remember having some Gehl sales literature as a kid that showed something for grinding hay, but as I said never actually saw them in my part of the world.  

• Like 1

Interesting side note on the power bale feeders, we sold one too a local guy years ago he used it to grind cardboard from a local factory.

He added it too his grain as a roughage and finished cattle with the ration,his sons showed cattle at the local fairs and they always placed well.

• Confused 3

On 3/10/2022 at 9:47 AM, IH Forever said:

Have never seen a grinder/mixer in my area with the bale feeder like that either.  I remember having some Gehl sales literature as a kid that showed something for grinding hay, but as I said never actually saw them in my part of the world.  

Nope all ours we had to feed hay in a slice at a time. Most had the powered paddles.to help feed in hay or ear corn.

Well. When one door closes,another door opens. Saw a add on marketplace for this Arts Way 450 for less money than the New Hollands went for. We went up and took a look at it. They bought another one but this one was in fine shape. Working scales and all the fixings. Price was decent so we brought it home.

20220314_113910.jpg

20220314_113859.jpg

• Like 4